Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recycling Crossbow Bolts  (Read 533 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Recycling Crossbow Bolts
« on: November 27, 2007, 07:30:00 pm »

Is this possible?

I have seen the "melt" option when you view a corpse with metal arrows stuck in it, but I'm wondering, what kinds of arrows will your dwarves pick up/pull out of dead guys, if this is even possible? And if you miss, will dwarves take back those bolts, or are they gone forever?

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

N35t0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recycling Crossbow Bolts
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 11:10:00 pm »

you wish they were gone forever...  You'll end up with tons of useles one-bolt stacks lying around. I'm a bit obsessive and have my dwarves gather them to sell to the next merchant.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 11:36:00 pm »

Oh, that explains why in the merchant menu I have dozens of "larch bolts" and stuff.

Thanks for clearing that up.

But my guys can still use them, I assume.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 01:55:00 am »

yes, but they'll either a) carry one in their left hand, or b) put it in a quiver.  Since quivers can only hold one stack, this is an EXCELLENT way to train your hunters in macedwarfship, although they won't get your food as fast  :p
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 07:15:00 am »

this thread contains ideas and plans for recycling bolts (possible but painful to deal with single bolts unless you are really short of wood/bone or until toadyone makes it possible to restack identical items).

In the same thread, related, but much more useful is a way to recycle ballista ammo... which is single shot anyway.  So now you only need to make a few arrows and have the siege operators train by themselves.