Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Runes, dwarven substitute for magic  (Read 2753 times)

The Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Runes, dwarven substitute for magic
« on: November 27, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »

As the discussion of magic must have been enormous, and creating a new topic might be silly, but I highly advise that you may use it the Warhammer Fantasy way.

“This is the las’ time I’m goin’ to say this – runes are NO’ magic! Magic is fer silly buggers in robes and poin’y ‘ats! Do you see a poin’y ‘at on me lad?”
– Grumhilde, Venerable Rune Sage

thatDwarven Runemaster

Runes. Dwarves already engrave pictures, why not have them engraving runes?

Nordic rune of life can be engraved to valuable items to have them slowly healing the user, or rune of warding can be engraved on ground to slow down any demon or supernatural unit, or a rune of strength or endurance on an axe or pick for the miner or warrior to fight and work nonstop for days.

Everybody wins, no spellcasters, no big spells, but no magic using population either. Add an oil operated firebomb catapult, and dwarven arsenal is complete.

h34R my 1337 masterwork turtle bone crossbows of doom!

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Runes, dwarven substitute for magic
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2007, 03:30:00 pm »

tl;dr

Wrong board- You want the suggestion board.

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 06:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Flok Speargrabber:
<STRONG>tl;dr

Wrong board- You want the suggestion board.</STRONG>

Second.

Also, runes are unrealistic. I mean, come on.

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 06:50:00 pm »

If runes are unrealistic, then what about dragons? Or titans. Or, worst of all, CARP?
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 06:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Scorpios:
<STRONG>
Also, runes are unrealistic. I mean, come on.</STRONG>

Dwarves come from Norse mythology. Runes are also part of Norse mythology. I don't think it's too far of a stretch  ;)

Mood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 07:32:00 pm »

Runes are unrealistic... but... dwarves, goblins, and kobolds aren't?

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 07:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Xotes:
<STRONG>If runes are unrealistic, then what about dragons? Or titans. Or, worst of all, CARP?</STRONG>

quote:
Originally posted by Mood:
<STRONG>Runes are unrealistic... but... dwarves, goblins, and kobolds aren't?</STRONG>

WHOOSH!
That's the sound of my sarcasm flying right over everyone's heads  :)
 find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

Frogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 08:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wiles:
<STRONG>
Runes are also part of Norse mythology.</STRONG>

I think it's more important that runes were part of Norse civilization - mind you, they were just an adaptation of the latin alphabet. They did have certain mystical qualities associated with them, but carving a single rune into something to give it power feels incredibly gimmicky.

It'd make more sense to have the dwarves write something. "I RAKUST MADE THE WEAPON" on a hammer or "KOGAN LIKES ELVES" on a wall in the dining room. It'd be even more interesting if the dwarves did this of their own accord.

Once sending out armies to goblin towers and what not is implemented, the dwarves could also note down "ZAN WAS HERE" on the constructions the people they're conquering or visiting have - this was very common for the vikings to do, and there are many examples of statues and monuments that have been so defaced.

Stij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 08:18:00 pm »

quote:
...or "KOGAN LIKES ELVES" on a wall in the dining room

I lol'd. Dwarven grafitti!

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 09:33:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Scorpios:
<STRONG>WHOOSH!
That's the sound of my sarcasm flying right over everyone's heads    :)</STRONG>

Using sarcasm in type is nothing to brag about... not only is it mostly based on a person's spoken tone, but some people are actually stupid enough to mean something like that.

[ November 27, 2007: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Reign on your Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 09:40:00 pm »

If you do use sarcasm, do something like [/sarcasm]
ou''re just as free to state your opinion as I am free to completely disregard it.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 10:15:00 pm »

while it IS a nice idea, but maybe from another stand point, dwarves already have their magic and don't need another "elfy" thing.  Their magic are in the skills.  Gears/waterworks/lava pumps/complicated traps/bridge network/giant ballita/catapults  ...

As for weapons and arms, the magic is in the Mastercraftsmen and Legendary Champions.

Compared to the rest of the races of that age and world, isn't that magic?

But if you are not talking about "magic" (dwarf : pah.  peeple call anytthing they don't understand magick.  dwarves understand wat' we do well enough.) but really just the idea of runes, isn't that encapsulated in the engravings?

Ahh.. must put this quote here

quote:

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

[ November 27, 2007: Message edited by: sphr ]

Geofferic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2007, 12:55:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Flok Speargrabber:
<STRONG>tl;dr

Wrong board- You want the suggestion board.</STRONG>

Yes, wrong board, but "tl;dr"?  Are you KIDDING?

lol

And people wonder why the Western World is going down the toilet.  Reading a hundred characters worth of text is just too much for us!

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2007, 09:31:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Frogman:
<STRONG>

I think it's more important that runes were part of Norse civilization - mind you, they were just an adaptation of the latin alphabet. They did have certain mystical qualities associated with them, but carving a single rune into something to give it power feels incredibly gimmicky.

It'd make more sense to have the dwarves write something. "I RAKUST MADE THE WEAPON" on a hammer or "KOGAN LIKES ELVES" on a wall in the dining room. It'd be even more interesting if the dwarves did this of their own accord.

Once sending out armies to goblin towers and what not is implemented, the dwarves could also note down "ZAN WAS HERE" on the constructions the people they're conquering or visiting have - this was very common for the vikings to do, and there are many examples of statues and monuments that have been so defaced.</STRONG>

This is a great idea! preferably obscene, vicious and ill-tempered. pompei style [sp?].

So every time a noble makes a mandate graffiti show up at the workshops or the stockpileetc where the targeted dwarf lives expolaining why exactyl said noble is an idiot,how he was bred, is mating habits and possibly what a suitably counter mandate might be. Example

The Mayor (Mestim Johnson) has a new demand.

[demands weapon rack in iron]

The Nobles has started to complain about the grafitti in the Fortress.

if you go check around the fortress you might find hidden texts such as

Mayor Mistem is a wuss who cant carry his own weapon

Mayor Mistems is so noble that his mother is also his sister

Mayor Mistems new wife is much hotter than the last one, at least a goat has a beard.

[This grafitti shows no text but a picture. The Picture appears to depict Mayor Mistem as a Dwarf Skull totem. there are also some sketches sugesting menacing iron spikes]

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2007, 01:06:00 pm »

...or just the word "AGAK" chiseled around the bathroom stalls.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.
Pages: [1] 2