Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: (Dead for copyright reasons) Star Wars: Project Jedi  (Read 4042 times)

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(Dead for copyright reasons) Star Wars: Project Jedi
« on: December 11, 2020, 12:33:58 pm »

(Now i dont know the legality of using stuff from SW but i'll take my chances)

Project Jedi is a two person project developed by me and my older sister, It is a Text-Based RPG (it's more of a simulation) based off of KOTOR, Jedi Academy, Force Unleashed, AI Dungeon and some parts of Liberal Crime Squad.

- Play any race from Jawa to Rodian or even a droid, Project Jedi has almost every race to choose from.

- A fully open sandbox where the player can do/be anything, Be a Sith Lord that can rip entire Star Destroyers in half, Be a weapons smuggler delivering guns to the rebels through Imperial territory, Be a bounty hunter hunting a infamous criminal or Steal the Death Star plans.

- Play through any time period, from Phantom Menace to Rise Of Skywalker (EU included)

- Almost every planet in the EU is included in Project Jedi from Hoth to Tatooine

- Over 100 different force powers and 30 different lightsaber types and colors

I could be here all day going over features but i'll just leave it at this

I have no clue what the release date is as me and my sis just started working on this

if you have any suggestions let me know
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 02:32:06 pm by ArchimedesWojak »
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: Project Jedi (A Fully Open-Ended Text-Based Star Wars RPG)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 07:30:55 pm »

Since you want suggestions:

1. Don't announce fan works like this until it's already ready for release. That's how you get DMCA'd before you can even distribute copies.

2. Since you've already failed step 1, your 'version 1.0' feature-complete game should be released as your '0.99' final beta version. Seems like historically some companies will let a project work right up until they're about to release their feature-complete version before kicking them in the shins.

3. Your scope is insane for a 2-person project, especially for someone who (after stalking through your posts) has very little experience developing games. I know it's boring, but make something small for your first project. Something you can achieve in a few months to a year. You need the experience before you dive into a huge project, or your foundational code is going to be a mess and you won't be able to build on top of it well.

Whether you heed all of this or none of it, good luck. If nothing else, when you end up with something that sucks and you hate it and yourself and life, just keep going. Everyone starts somewhere, and that somewhere is usually at the bottom of the garbage bin. The lucky ones are the kids who got started on their passion when they were toddlers and seem like natural talents because all their failures ended up never leaving the walls of their childhood home.
Nothing important here, move along.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 12:09:12 pm »

about 1. and 2. yeah i will admit i kinda fucked up

and about 3.

This was my sisters idea and she has alot of experience making text based games, she wanted me to join her after she saw i wanted to learn
more about game development

basically she is doing most of the work and this is for her to guide me step by step :)
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 02:02:25 pm »

Start with just getting a playable game. DoomRL (and several other well-known indie games) started as a 7-day roguelike project, then expanded.

Are you basing it off the old d6 star wars game?

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 03:10:28 pm »

Start with just getting a playable game. DoomRL (and several other well-known indie games) started as a 7-day roguelike project, then expanded.

based off of KOTOR, Jedi Academy, Force Unleashed, AI Dungeon and some parts of Liberal Crime Squad.

but i will look into the d6 star wars game

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2020, 06:52:24 pm »

So while I know ya don't wanna throw a demo out or anything, I do wanna know this:

Do ya have a version that's able to be played from start to finish?

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 04:50:45 am »

I'm skeptical. Also curious. Posting to watch.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 08:26:36 am »

So while I know ya don't wanna throw a demo out or anything, I do wanna know this:

Do ya have a version that's able to be played from start to finish?

No we just started making this

I dont know when a demo for this will come out given the sheer size of the game

If I learn a bit more about game development (likely) and my sister quits her full-time job (very unlikely) i could see us having a semi playable version by Late 2022

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 10:27:03 am »

Oh.

Well, I hope it goes well, but Don't think I'm gonna be sticking around to talk much on it, mainly a consequence of being burned by expansive ideas before :P

Good luck!

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 11:39:25 am »

Oh Shit guess who just got a Cease And Desist from Disney

Basically my sister in her infinite wisdom emailed the folks over at Disney saying "Hey is it ok if we make this" (im paraphrasing it was a long email)

And Disney pretty much said "Hell Naw get that shit out of here" (also paraphrasing)

So i hate to say it but the project is dead

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: (Disney Said No) Star Wars: Project Jedi
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 01:51:43 pm »

Aw, sorry to hear that.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Disney Said No) Star Wars: Project Jedi
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2021, 01:56:41 pm »

Aw, sorry to hear that.

dont worry it's fine my sister is going to try to instead make an open-ended Warhammer 40K game using the code we already have or at least her own thing
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 01:59:10 pm by ArchimedesWojak »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Games Workshop isn't much better about their IP than Disney.

Have you considered just making it a generic universe that might just happen to have space wizards that like to use laser swords?

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Games Workshop isn't much better about their IP than Disney.

Have you considered just making it a generic universe that might just happen to have space wizards that like to use laser swords?

i'll talk to her about making our own thing but we both are not very creative people however i kinda have something in mind

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Dead for copyright reasons) Star Wars: Project Jedi
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2021, 03:09:56 pm »

Ah I spotted this in the Recent list again, and yeah... RIP the theme, but it shouldn't stop you developing your developer skills while carefully skirting any contentious IP, and perhaps develop your own IP that'll eventually become your own Final Fantasy/Mario/The Sims/whatever-you-consider-big...

Also, since I last read this thread,
...ah, the classic and best! Alien Student Of The Force, Laconic Scout, etc.

And you know Westend Games created it by converting their Ghostbusters system?  So imagine what some could convert your inner conceptualisings from/to, universe-wise!
Pages: [1] 2 3