Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 111058 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 2 - Fixed The Glitch
« Reply #1110 on: December 31, 2020, 07:24:04 pm »

Another thing is that our good buddy Wuba's confirmed that there are four mafia players, yeah? We need to be on the lookout for team behavior. Maskwolf and IcyTea tying themselves together and making themselves into targets makes it seem unlikely that they're scum to me, but it's still a possibility.

Aside from that, there's Toaster backing up NQT, Jim following Toaster... We'd be lucky to have a NQT / Toaster / Jim / Leafsnail scum team, but somehow, I don't think it'll be that easy. My reads can't all be accurate, and a scum player masterfully sneaking into the top or middle of my list is a possibility.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: December 31, 2020, 07:24:54 pm »

Another thing is that our good buddy Wuba's confirmed that there are four mafia players, yeah? We need to be on the lookout for team behavior. Maskwolf and IcyTea tying themselves together and making themselves into targets makes it seem unlikely that they're scum to me, but it's still a possibility.

Aside from that, there's Toaster backing up NQT, Jim following Toaster... We'd be lucky to have a NQT / Toaster / Jim / Leafsnail scum team, but somehow, I don't think it'll be that easy. My reads can't all be accurate, and a scum player masterfully sneaking into the top or middle of my list is a possibility.
He did, yes.  And that would be an interesting scumteam given NQT is greenpeeked.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: December 31, 2020, 07:26:29 pm »

Yeah. In a less role-mad game I'd be much more trusting of that, but NQT's behavior is still scummy to me.

Thank you for saving me from triple-posting, though.

wubadict: Pretty sure that the Not Voting count isn't 4.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: December 31, 2020, 07:28:49 pm »

wubadict: Pretty sure that the Not Voting count isn't 4.
Stop, stop, I'm already dead.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: December 31, 2020, 07:32:21 pm »

Omae wa, mou shindeiru.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: December 31, 2020, 07:48:52 pm »

I'm not trying to hide now that votes are on me, but I had social commitments for new years eve and won't be good for much else today. I'll have time tomorrow.

The end of day kerfuffle made something clear to me. Why would you ever suddenly try to lynch someone without a case in the last hour of day 1 because they did something weird? Everyone who did is either insane or scum.

That is, very few people are actually good at this crazy thing. My goal shouldn't be burning out my energy trying to read motivations, thinking all the other regulars can, and getting frustrated because I can't pick up the trick. Nobody can, thank you Dolores and your 90% chance of Toony being scum for illustrating this.

Is it really as simple as "build a case on anyone that seems a bit suspicious, see if it holds water, then post and see if others agree?"

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: December 31, 2020, 07:53:06 pm »

Is it really as simple as "build a case on anyone that seems a bit suspicious, see if it holds water, then post and see if others agree?"
Not that simple, but the principle is there.

Look at the playerbase, see the players who seem suspicious, select who seems the most suspicious to you, build a case on them based on both their behavior and any role information you choose to use, then post and see if others agree.

Mafia is a fucking mess of a mindgame, and it can very easily burn people out. Take care of yourself.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 31, 2020, 08:01:20 pm »

Philosophical musings on mafia, Jim's distrust of social niceties and FoU calling out my one-shot "Aura of Unremarkability" aside, there's something I'd like to claim.

I visited Vector. I would like to note that one person who visited Vector has not claimed yet. IcyTea and 4mask seem to be telling the truth about their investigating of Vector.

I haven't achieved a great deal in terms of post analysis - I may have to resort to the old readlist and see what bubbles up from my subconscious. Nonetheless, we seem to be having a mechanical moment, so I think I can be forgiven.

One thing we ought to note: if 4mask, Toaster and IcyTea are all scum, this could be the bussing play of the century. Doesn't seem likely though, as they'd potentially lose two people rather than one... unless they were reasonably sure Toaster was toast.

Would be sorry to see people leave. I know D1 was stressful and crazy, but I think we're doing better today.
One wheel short of a wagon

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: December 31, 2020, 08:02:55 pm »

I visited Vector. I would like to note that one person who visited Vector has not claimed yet. IcyTea and 4mask seem to be telling the truth about their investigating of Vector.

Confirmed, NJW visited Vector.  You used a watch action as well?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 31, 2020, 08:08:49 pm »

Confirmed, NJW visited Vector.  You used a watch action as well?
Indeed. The blandest of actions.
One wheel short of a wagon

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: December 31, 2020, 08:22:25 pm »

Pfp

NJW, now that's a fancy play suggestion. Toaster / 4mask and ICT concoct plan to have Toaster fake inspect them and then be executed for it, with a town peek on me to get me on the 4mask side. The thing is, they know that these too clever plays come apart like wet tissue paper under the barrage of possible town powers. 4mask even made this point work regard to the CYOM game. Occam's razor: they're all town and Toaster's inspect was misdirected by some power.

Anyway, regarding the mass claim, I did exactly what I said I was going to do on D1. Something must have gone wrong because Jim isn't confirming it. That or he just doesn't get a report for the action taking effect.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #1121 on: December 31, 2020, 08:23:37 pm »

I'm going to point out we have thief somewhere who can steal hats. Also apparently the badge shop isn't open at night which sucked. So make sure not to keep the hat lest it get stolen. Of course there are issues f you end up giving it to non-town.

11/1/4 is the current set right? For now I can say I used Leave Comment on Jim last night. No roleblock message, so assume that went through. High chance of the modification working if he is town. Medium chance it worked if they weren't town but SK based upon current instinct. Some chance Leave Comment doesn't do anything. Either way I'll put them at soft town until proven otherwise, which is good enough for me.

I'd ask Vector why they used the Mask last phase, but maybe they are a day phase actioner. Them being the thief in question would not be out.

As usual, would be fine with a Vector lynch since as far as I know, a trade action uses up your action for the day. Dolores' post links to a post on them that has my own defeatist post. I would like Leafsnail to give his reasoning for voting me.  And that leaves Toaster as the one who wouldn't change their vote at all. Why so certain?

TricMagic: Ok so here's my problem here. You say you used your leave a comment ability on Jim last night? Why only jim? I gave you the ability to use an additional action. Yet you only use your leave a comment only on Jim?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: December 31, 2020, 08:27:33 pm »

Jim, one thing. If you don't go ahead and kill Toaster to confirm or deny his claim, I'm bringing out the Item Magnet badge next night to render gear less useful. Anything you use can end up being yanked by it. I will not have this keep going on until near the end of day. This has the benefit of also rendering some of the dweller mask results less useful.

First, never occurred to me due to the fact my hats are once per night. Second, had a gut read on Jim's role name. Third, who would I even target? Fourth, that extra action is completely useless to me in the first place beyond Leave Comment. Fifth, messing with roles can mess up the game, and town is the most likely pick to do so, leaving a role change.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: December 31, 2020, 08:32:05 pm »

Pfp

NJW, now that's a fancy play suggestion. Toaster / 4mask and ICT concoct plan to have Toaster fake inspect them and then be executed for it, with a town peek on me to get me on the 4mask side. The thing is, they know that these too clever plays come apart like wet tissue paper under the barrage of possible town powers. 4mask even made this point work regard to the CYOM game. Occam's razor: they're all town and Toaster's inspect was misdirected by some power.
Normally, I'd believe that.

But Toaster TMI'd that he knew how our roles worked, by taking a supposed "inspection" result on Icy and beelining for me instead, declaring that he had "reasons" for wanting me dead first.

The only reason for that is because he, or one of his scumbuddies, hit Icy with a role inspection and discovered that he's linked to me and dies when I do, so they could get a two-for-one trade against claimed masons.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #1124 on: December 31, 2020, 08:36:50 pm »

Toaster's inspect was misdirected by some power.

Oh really?

Nirur Torir  : What.did you do last night?

First, never occurred to me due to the fact my hats are once per night. Second, had a gut read on Jim's role name. Third, who would I even target? Fourth, that extra action is completely useless to me in the first place beyond Leave Comment. Fifth, messing with roles can mess up the game, and town is the most likely pick to do so, leaving a role change.

1. What?
2. Scum can give a gut read too.
3. Uuh...why even target Jim? You never showed any suspicion on Jim. So why target him with your action at NIGHT.
4. It's not useless if you just you use your leave a comment ability... At night.
5. So why did you use your ability...on Jim...if you don't want to mess with role*face palm* I can use my sqaud modifier to see a hint of my target's ability. I can also refuse to CHANGE anything.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 122