Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 111154 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 2 - Fixed The Glitch
« Reply #1095 on: December 31, 2020, 05:29:28 pm »

Vector:
I'd be good on a massclaim of night actions/roles at this point. I think that knowing if Toaster was redirected, or having scum's fake actions on record, would be very valuable right around now.

I have good reason to believe I was not redirected; the same reason that I say we should lynch 4mask over IcyTea.  For the record (I didn't mention this earlier in case one of them claimed miller) I targeted IcyTea.

So why are you pushing for 4maskwolf instead of the player you actually inspected?
Because he's TMI'd.  Because what he used on Icy was a role inspection, not an alignment inspection, and he knows how Icy's autos work.  Because he may not have read it closely, much like we didn't at the start of the game, and assumed it was much scarier than it actually was.

Go ahead, Toaster, why don't you share with the class what you've learned.
Snark aside, even if he didn't pull a dumb masons and misread Icy's autos he still knows he gets a two-for-one this way.  That's why he latched onto lynching me first for nebulous "reasons" that he could expand on later if called out on it, because people were likely to follow his initial vote even if they questioned it, so he'd get a nice wagon going on me and people would feel less inclined to switch to Icy (whose death would clear me and damn him, making his trade a very poor 1 for 1).

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: December 31, 2020, 05:34:25 pm »

You should be able to infer this (I should be able to infer this) by the fact that there aren't 2-3 40kchar wot cases finished at this point but I think if I'm at all honest I've been out most of the day already

Also, can't quote mod is a dumb rule.
No, it isn't. Are you being contentious on purpose?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: December 31, 2020, 05:34:57 pm »

Wanna see a funny Youtube video?

The first point I'd like to make about Jim is that he's clearly had a substantial amount of time to engage with the game. We've seen him post consistently throughout the Day, both 1 and 2. He's 'engaged' at some level. If he has the time to do that much, then he has the time to actively scum hunt, even if it might mean fewer posts. He's made a total of 32 posts in this thread after game start, if my count is correct.

Despite that, he's voted a total of three times, two of which were on Day 1, and one on Day 2 which you've all seen recently. His votes were an RVS vote on IcyTea, a vote on Tric for a post he thought was claiming or signifying third party, and a vote on 4mask according to Toaster's vote prior to that.

Spoiler: Examples (click to show/hide)

Enough time to be engaged. Taking the time to make the posts. But he only votes twice during Day 1, where we had over 60 pages of discussion, including a frantic last-minute voting spiral? He seems engaged but not actually engaged.

He's made much mention of tedium, which is a valid point.

Spoiler: Examples (click to show/hide)
But you don't need walls of text to be a good mafia player. Concise posts can do just as well - if they're meaningful. Make three paragraphs worth of content, make it directly related to someone's scum tells, and boom, you have a good post. If Jim is town, he can minimize the tedium by making his posts more concise and more meaningful. He can ask others to point to the posts that seem the most in need of analysis to narrow his workload. He can find a few players and question them instead of engaging with everyone at once. There are options.

Speaking of pointing out the most meaningful posts... or in this case, the scummiest posts.

Spoiler: Comment on Toonywagon (click to show/hide)
Like... come on? He comments that the Toony bandwagon seems fishy without giving any reason why.

Says he only read Vector's case on Toony and calls the lynch as a whole 'lazy' and 'groupthink'. Vector later mentioned that Jim read only Vector's case because he knew that it was the only one of substance, but the fact that Jim doesn't bother to mention that at all makes me think he's not actually trying to disprove Toony's hypothetical scumminess, but call people out for wagoning just to look towny.

But he never changed his vote away from Tric in an attempt to pressure any of the people on what he claimed he saw as a flawed lynch.

Because lynching scum is better than lynching a third party. Taking the easy road is very characteristic of scum players.

Spoiler: Nighttalk (click to show/hide)
Either Jim is the only player who can post at Night, or other players with said ability are keeping quiet for whatever reason. Either way, the fact that he didn't bother to use it at all beyond posting his scanner action strikes me as moderately scummy as well. If I had an ability like that, I would leverage it to the moon. Laying out reads, setting an agenda, providing an incentive for any lurking night posters to join in. Instead he does... basically nothing? Oh, and the scanner, but... seriously? On Tric? The player you were voting all Day for dubious reasons? Well, reasonable-ish reasons, but as mentioned earlier, lynching scum is more important than lynching third parties and I don't think Jim made any effort to look beyond a Tric lynch. If I had something like the apparent scanner, I'd use it on someone I perceived to be a strong town player so I could learn if I could trust them - assuming a lack of fuckery. Like, the mason-pair, or Vector, or delores (if they didn't have the untargetability effect anyways). There are better options than Tric.

To summarize. It's not that he's lazy, it's that he clearly has the time to engage and doesn't use it in a useful way at all.

Jim Groovester.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: December 31, 2020, 05:43:26 pm »

And posts like this are why I can't really see fries as a bad thing. The crowning sure, but death is dead, and scum over third party makes more sense than a maybe-third party revival.

Legendary Exterminator, what say you? Also is this vote valid webadict?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 31, 2020, 05:44:28 pm »

And posts like this are why I can't really see fries as a bad thing. The crowning sure, but death is dead, and scum over third party makes more sense than a maybe-third party revival.

That is not a valid vote target.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: December 31, 2020, 05:45:50 pm »

Just vote using his name, silly  :P

'death is dead' is such a fun quote, too. I do need a new sigtext, hm.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: December 31, 2020, 06:06:04 pm »

That is not a valid vote target.
Jim Groovester

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: December 31, 2020, 06:22:18 pm »

Vote Count
------------------------
4maskwolf - 3 - notquitethere*, Jim Groovester*, Toaster*,
dolores - 0 -
FallacyofUrist - 1 - Luckyowl*,
heydude6 - 0 -
IcyTea31 - 0 -
Jim Groovester - 2 - TricMagic*, FallacyofUrist*,
Leafsnail - 1 - heydude6*,
Luckyowl - 0 -
Nirur Torir - 2 - dolores*, Vector*,
NJW2000 - 0 -
notquitethere - 1 - Leafsnail*,
Toaster - 2 - 4maskwolf*, IcyTea31*,
TricMagic - 0 -
Vector - 0 -
No Lynch - 0 -

Not Voting - 2 - Nirur Torir, NJW2000,

8 to Hammer. Day ends on January 03, 2021 at 19:00 CST (~73 hours remaining).
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 07:29:21 pm by webadict »

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: December 31, 2020, 06:23:27 pm »

Vote Count
------------------------
dolores - 0 -
heydude6 - 0 -
IcyTea31 - 0 -
juicebox - 0 -
Luckyowl - 0 -
NJW2000 - 0 -
ToonyMan - 0 -
TricMagic - 0 -
Vector - 0 -
No Lynch - 0 -

Not Voting - 4 - Nirur Torir, ToonyMan, juicebox, NJW2000,

9 to Hammer. Day ends on January 03, 2021 at 19:00 CST (~73 hours remaining).

Isn't Juicebox dead?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: December 31, 2020, 06:24:18 pm »

Yes, that is the only problem with the vote count.

Also, bah.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: December 31, 2020, 06:24:32 pm »

Vote Count
------------------------
dolores - 0 -
heydude6 - 0 -
IcyTea31 - 0 -
juicebox - 0 -
Luckyowl - 0 -
NJW2000 - 0 -
ToonyMan - 0 -
TricMagic - 0 -
Vector - 0 -
No Lynch - 0 -

Not Voting - 4 - Nirur Torir, ToonyMan, juicebox, NJW2000,

9 to Hammer. Day ends on January 03, 2021 at 19:00 CST (~73 hours remaining).

Isn't Juicebox dead?
... Uh...

You saw nothing.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: December 31, 2020, 06:42:53 pm »

Might want to update the playerlist in the OP, too. And just checking - is that 'players needed to hammer' thing still accurate?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: December 31, 2020, 06:49:56 pm »

Might want to update the playerlist in the OP, too. And just checking - is that 'players needed to hammer' thing still accurate?
... :(

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: December 31, 2020, 06:50:39 pm »

... :(
:D :D :D :D :D

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: December 31, 2020, 07:19:49 pm »

Let's make some activity happen.

Here's my current readslist, all fancy-like.

Fallacy, because, you know. Do I even need to say it?
dolores / Vector. Although unfortunately it looks like dolores might be replacing out, they've been a great, active case builder for the town. Vector is similar, though there's enough doubts that they may be deep-cover scum, and a deeper analysis on them might be advisable at some point, though not an immediate priority for me.
4maskwolf+IcyTea. While initially I was skeptical, these two have been doing a better job now and later Day 1 than they were at first, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. Still possible they're scum pulling a gambit, but they've drawn heat to themselves with their masonclaim. I'd probably place them lower, but ironically enough Toaster seeing them as scum makes me put them higher since Toaster is so scummy. If Toaster turns out to be town I'll probably do a revisit.
heydude / LuckyOwl. From what I've seen of them they seem town, but a bit more skewed towards role analysis than behavior analysis? And LuckyOwl is basically classic noob town. Nothing to say there.
NJW2000 / TricMagic. People tend to say that NJW2000 is town, which is why he's here instead of in my yellows, but... somehow, he seems to have an aura of unremarkability. Like, there's nothing that stands out about him at all. He's avoided drawing much attention. TricMagic would be in my yellows, but he's been improving in how much he's contributed to the town, both in terms of scum hunting (still weak but better than before) and role shenanigans (No-Bonk Badge).
Leafsnail / Nirur Torir. I'd like to note that my yellows are 'neutral'. I have pretty high hopes for Leafsnail increasing his activity in this Day 2, which should give me an opportunity to move his read up or down. As for Torir, I honestly haven't engaged with him much, but there's more material than Leafsnail, so one of my Day 2 to-do list items is to solidify a read on him.
notquitethere / Toaster. I still find notquitethere's Day 1 end behavior scummy, along with Toaster's odd confidence in him. Since I've completed my Jim case, analyzing these two to see if they should stay at this 'moderately scummy' level rather than my 'deeply scummy' level is also on my to-do list.
Jim Groovester. Go read my case on this guy if you want to know why he's in my 'deeply scummy' tier.

I think this helps me set my priorities.

First: well, I may have accidentally switched my vote by using the color red here, so I'll revote Jim Groovester.

Secondly, I'm going to be doing analysis on notquitethere and Toaster as per the proceedings at the end of Day 1.

Thirdly, once Leafsnail builds up some more content I'll dig into that - or maybe there's more than I think there is, so I'll look at post count to figure that out. I think Torir has the material available for me to build up a read right away, though, so that's definitely a priority. Along with NJW2000, who has an 'aura of unremarkability' like I mentioned.

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 122