Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 111319 times)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 2 - Fixed The Glitch
« Reply #960 on: December 31, 2020, 02:42:41 am »

As a the townie who did it, I also thought announcing your malicious targeting immediately was a town tell, till NJW convinced me otherwise.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #961 on: December 31, 2020, 02:43:21 am »

Blessings, Wubba.

Nirur Torir, bandwagoning.

There's something I'm missing here. Because of Toony's claim, it sounded like HeyDude became confirmed town. But looking at his (Toony's) abilities on flip, I don't actually see a cop/block action that he mentioned. Can anyone explain this for me? Maybe NQT?

NJW: You got an interesting ability.

FallacyOfUrist: Anyone who uses the OWO emoticon is automatically guilty.

Hello LO. 1. What are you claiming exactly? 2. heydude is right, you should do more posts like the last one you did where you paid attention to people's behavior. That post was a big improvement.

Quick notes before I write a longer set of reads then get into my problems with vector:

I await your commentary.

Actually. I did an oppsie on NJW. It was Nirur Torir who I role investigated. The ability that came off was an RNG like ability. If Jim Groovester is going to be our trusted cop I might as well use my day action on him so he can investigate two player every turn when the night phase comes around.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 31, 2020, 02:48:02 am »

"What's your problem with Vector"
Basically comes down to this:
I'm not talking about where the cases came from, I'm talking about when and why the votes started piling up.
Hypothesis for the case is something along the lines of "Vector doesn't seem to care about people's motivations, despite that being the thing which indicates their alignment."

Dolores in that case, what do you think of the mason claim?
Nothing, that's all WIFOM.
I'll bite anyway. Mason claim was suspect while we didn't know why people didn't flip, because the entire reason claiming mason is towny is that if either of you flips/is investigated/etc. and you're scum the jig is up for both players. On seeing the no-flip I started a lot of dumb speculation about mafia team strats if the no-flips was a scum-owned ability. I think 4maskwolf is probably town and I don't have any problems with ICT's play, so chances are that they're both town is pretty high. I wouldn't bet the game on it but I really doubt I'll be proved wrong.
Dolores what do you think of Leafsnail not revealing his contract while me and Iceytea were squabbling?
I dunno. I'd have claimed my rolenames, but I claim a lot a lot more than most people, especially someone like LS. Claiming it prevents him from confirming a claim by the contract sender or having his claim confirmed by the contract sender later in the game, for instance. Why are you asking me but not asking him?

Anyone/everyone
Vector he lied about being able to confirm my alignment. He genuinely thought that me announcing the contract immediately was a town tell. People interpreted this belief of his as a Scumtell.
This is what happened right? Was Toony literally just assuming heydude was town because he claimed something which scum!heydude would know was owned and known about by a non-scum player? Am I actually delusional?
He didn't even have insider knowledge about anything but the fact that the contract was real, what the fuck.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 31, 2020, 02:48:18 am »

I'm going to explain what I understand to be going on with Jim Groovester. I have the Dweller Mask. I'm still town, regardless of what Tric thinks 9_9

The mask lets me get a random badge, gun (an x-shot item, as far as I know not necessarily a kill) or tech once per night. Tech actions have to be posted in-thread. What this implies is that Jim Groovestar is using tech (a scanner), NOT necessarily that he is a cop.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 31, 2020, 02:50:46 am »

So Jim, since you’re a cop, how reliable do you think your investigations will be? Neither Toony, nor Juicebox, nor I, and probably not yourself have abilities that interfere with the outcomes of these things. We haven’t encountered a miller so far.

I'm not a cop, I have access to BYOR flavored Paranormal tech which I have the option of using publicly. If I use it publicly I also get public confirmation from weedubs like you saw, which has benefits of public confirmation and also the drawbacks of public announcement.

I also get to post at night and had to resist the urge to make fun of everybody while they couldn't respond.

Actually. I did an oppsie on NJW. It was Nirur Torir who I role investigated. The ability that came off was an RNG like ability. If Jim Groovester is going to be our trusted cop I might as well use my day action on him so he can investigate two player every turn when the night phase comes around.

I am flattered but you are really jumping the gun there.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 31, 2020, 02:52:24 am »

Luckyowl He could still be a !scum ability cop you know. He probably did investigate Tric (scum would want to know how worthwhile it’d be to cut a deal), but gave us his alignment instead to throw us off.

It’s best to let him explain himself before you start aiding him.

Leafsnail, why didn’t you speak up during that critical moment?

Dolores I did, in the same post even. I’m seeing more of the dishonesty you showed me in the first day.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 31, 2020, 02:53:38 am »

Leafsnail, why didn’t you speak up during that critical moment?

Dolores I did, in the same post even. I don’t like seeing more of the dishonesty you showed me in the first day.

Quote to edit

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 31, 2020, 02:55:47 am »

Dolores I did, in the same post even. I’m seeing more of the dishonesty you showed me in the first day.
By critical moment do you mean during the middle of the day when neither you nor ICT were in danger of being lynched, or do you mean in the wild last 90 minutes of the day when ToonyMan was actually lynched? Because I interpreted that as the later, which is not what you asked me about.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 31, 2020, 02:59:00 am »

I'm not talking about where the cases came from, I'm talking about when and why the votes started piling up.
Hypothesis for the case is something along the lines of "Vector doesn't seem to care about people's motivations, despite that being the thing which indicates their alignment."

Oy vey. If a bandwagon forms super-rapidly based on non-mechanical reasons, people's stated motivations aren't necessarily the first thing to look at. When the votes pile on suddenly, it's really easy for scum to hide in the middle of that. "Slip another one on the stack," as it were. This is common to the point where old B12 play used to consider being third or fourth on the bandwagon to be intrinsically suspicious, regardless of stated reason.

One thing to do as scum, for example, is to make a lot of little cases here and there, looking for who you think town will want to lynch but not pulling the trigger, and let someone else start the bandwagon. Then hop on when it's "safe." I blasted y'all to check and see who was actually voting for their own reasons (or, well, see if anyone would jump).

Nirur Torir basically admitted to bandwagoning, and was also the only player who explicitly voted because of my initial post. That is why I am currently voting him.

I intend to go through his posts at some point when it isn't midnight.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 31, 2020, 03:06:54 am »

Wait, hold up, something's funky.

Weren't people talking about 'saying the name three times' earlier? There's... nothing related to that in Toony's role flip.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 31, 2020, 03:08:44 am »

By critical moment do you mean during the middle of the day when neither you nor ICT were in danger of being lynched, or do you mean in the wild last 90 minutes of the day when ToonyMan was actually lynched? Because I interpreted that as the later, which is not what you asked me about.

The former, I thought the fact that the question immediately followed the one directed at you would be enough context. Let me do it again for clarity’s sake.

Leafsnail, why didn’t you speak up when me and Iceytea were squabbling over the contracts?

FoU I’ll let Iceytea answer that one.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 31, 2020, 03:10:09 am »

Vector: any thoughts on the actual validity of the ToonyMan case that I articulated which NJW had developed?
Did you think that ToonyMan was probably scum at the time that you made your case?
Did you think that ToonyMan was probably scum closer to EoD1?
Who was your actual preferred lynch target D1, ignoring the need to rally enough votes? TricMagic?

Some for-the-record stuff since somebody will (or should) ask about it:
FallacyofUrist
You don't have any proof that I actioned you at all (besides me confirming it in the thread), that was just an inference from the flavor/effect, right?
You are definitively not shenanigans level 11?

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #972 on: December 31, 2020, 03:10:15 am »

Everyone:I'm not very familiar with BYOR games. But is the whole reference of us being inside some video game just there for flavor or are there any deep meaning to it?

Heydude6: Sometimes you have to go with your gut on this. Jim Groovester going through all that length to set up a fake alignment  investigation? It's possible, but Jim knowing the game know the consequence of exposing himself like this. We still have 13 players with a partial role claim from me and Jim. If Did lie about what he did. He would run the risk of having someone coming out with game mechanic evidence that Jim is full of shit.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: December 31, 2020, 03:16:46 am »

Heydude6: Sometimes you have to go with your gut on this. Jim Groovester going through all that length to set up a fake alignment  investigation? It's possible, but Jim knowing the game know the consequence of exposing himself like this. We still have 13 players with a partial role claim from me and Jim. If Did lie about what he did. He would run the risk of having someone coming out with game mechanic evidence that Jim is full of shit.

I agree, I’m sure Jim does know the consequences of doing this and so do I. You clearly don’t though, so wait for him to answer. You’ll be surprised.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: December 31, 2020, 03:19:17 am »

Luckyowl He could still be a !scum ability cop you know. He probably did investigate Tric (scum would want to know how worthwhile it’d be to cut a deal), but gave us his alignment instead to throw us off.

It’s best to let him explain himself before you start aiding him.

Obviously my public action doesn't confirm me but the rationale you're suggesting for my action is completely ludicrous.

I agree, I’m sure Jim does know the consequences of doing this and so do I. You clearly don’t though, so wait for him to answer. You’ll be surprised.

What are you expecting me to explain?

Currently, the people I want to look into the most are Jim Groovester, notquitethere, and Toaster. I also notice that Leafsnail was a bit more active towards the end of Day 1, so hopefully we'll see a lot more from him now? Which should let me make a proper judgement as to whether or not he's scum.

Remind me again why you're coming out swinging starting on Day 2?

I'm probably going to have to actually go look at the thread now which is literally the worst of all outcomes for me. Try to calm down a little so that Day 2 isn't as unmanageable as Day 1, if you guys could.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 63 64 [65] 66 67 ... 122