Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 110949 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - The Badge Seller
« Reply #525 on: December 27, 2020, 06:44:16 pm »

@Jim: Yeah, I wrote the WoT when it looked like the whole thing with LO was going to be yet another massive explosion of craziness. I'm going to take a break from the energy-intensive part of this (y'know . . . actively hunting/questioning), although I'll probably be here to respond, and then if I have the strength I'll start working on the four I mentioned later today. If not today I'm hoping to put something together late tomorrow.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: December 27, 2020, 06:49:32 pm »

Jim

That one is mostly gut, which is why I opened with it, but when you put it alongside the other more substantial stuff I said, it becomes more plausible. You rarely find scum through one big slip-up, it’s more so done through piecing together a bunch of pieces that seem ‘off’ into one big picture.

As for your previous question. Iceytea pointed out how unlikely it was for there to be a double-target, so he was going to suspect me for that reason alone. My baiting attempts simply intensified it. He also could have been scum and thus in on it.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: December 27, 2020, 06:50:18 pm »

Huh, missed this the first time around. Thanks to Jim Groovester for putting it in his post (though I still think he's being lazy and voting for someone who's 80% likely to be a third party instead of trying to find someone who's actually scum).

[1] If you want to vote me there's nothing stopping you.

[2] What do you think of everybody else who is voting for or has voted for TricMagic? Is being suspected by you for that a privilege I alone possess or do I share it with others?

I'm seeing this pop up a lot as a reason for voting people on a bunch of different cases. Is there anybody actually having a good Day 1?
I am absolutely having fun! Except someone messed with my fry-giving action. Sad ;w;

[3] I meant productive.

Jim Groovester: Would you be satisfied with a TricMagic lynch if that's how we hammered or the Day ended?

[4] Yes.

I'm giving you fries tonight, IcyTea31. When talking about role mechanics, we must always keep in mind we're doing it as a means to an end. We win when we find the mafia and kill them all, along with any serial killers, cults, or other anti-town roles we find along the way. You seem very fixated on this Hydraform business when it has nothing to do with finding who the mafia are.

[5] wtf didn't mere posts before this one you spend a whole post figuring out who targeted who and with what action? Weren't you just as fixated about this as you accuse IcyTea31 of being?
[1]: I do think you're scummy. Just not as scummy as IcyTea. I'll probably end up putting you in my list of subjects for who I vote early Day 2, assuming I'm still alive at that point.

[2]: I made an entire post earlier complaining that people were voting Tric for passive or irrelevant reasons. Did you miss it?
Oddly enough though, even though the Tric train is biggest right now, only my vote on him has substance behind it. Leafsnail's vote on him was an RVS vote and Toony / Vector's votes barely had justification behind it at all.

Leafsnail, Toonyman, Vector: Care to reevaluate your current vote? Assuming Wuba's count is correct, that is. Not that I find voting Tric to be a bad idea, but I at least want you to tell me why you're still voting Tric - or select a better target (in your view).
Since then, Vector gave me more information and detail on the subject, which satisfied me, but Leafsnail and Toonyman have not.

[3]: Yes. I'm finding people who I think are acting towny, people who I think are acting scummy, and even the fact that my fry-giving was messed with isn't as bad as it looks.

[4]: How satisfied are we talking here?

[5]: Context, doofus. I was going through that because I was considering the possibility of some sort of alignment relationship between Owl and Tea, which doesn't seem likely, but helped me cotton on to IcyTea's scumminess.

Point a: lynching a mafia player is better than lynching most third parties (I'd prefer to lynch a cult leader to nip that in the bud over lynching a mafia player, but good luck finding something like that specifically without a lot more work than just finding scum and we don't even know if we have a cult here in the first place).

Point b: therefore lynching TricMagic is good, but lynching a mafia player is better for the town.

Point c: anyone who focuses on Tric to the exclusion of hunting others at more than a casual level must be investigated.

Or to simplify: Tric's a safe lynch and people voting him for non-detailed reasons are therefore more likely to be scum.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: December 27, 2020, 07:30:53 pm »

IcyTea:
I wanted to know what you were actually doing or thinking.  The information I wanted is what you were thinking at the time, which I suppose I got.

--

You're far from trustworthy but I'm not convinced you're scum.
Did you get the information you wanted, or are you uncertain of your read? Those are mutually exclusive.

I no longer think your "slip" was actually a scum slip, and that's why I voted you.  I don't have any substantive reasons to suspect you any more.

Leafsnail:  Do you have anything on anyone other than Tric?  I saw you mention Vector, but you've not done a damn thing to develop that.  Why?

4maskwolf:  Could I get your current reads of Jim and Fallacy, please?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: December 27, 2020, 07:31:48 pm »

Jim

That one is mostly gut, which is why I opened with it, but when you put it alongside the other more substantial stuff I said, it becomes more plausible. You rarely find scum through one big slip-up, it’s more so done through piecing together a bunch of pieces that seem ‘off’ into one big picture.

I don't agree. Even if you had an airtight case on notquitethere I still would be leery about baseless conjecture in support of it.

[4]: How satisfied are we talking here?

Pretty satisfied. If TricMagic were more forthcoming about what their alignment was I might be less satisfied but since they're trying to dodge questions related to that I don't feel that bad about the lynch.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: December 27, 2020, 07:34:50 pm »

Nirur Torir: Why aren't you voting?
Fear of vote manipulation hammering unexpectedly.
In spirit, my vote is on Tric, where I think it's been since I unvoted Owl. I don't want to add it mechanically before I get my reads list out, but I'm slow today.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: December 27, 2020, 07:43:52 pm »

Jim

I don't agree. Even if you had an airtight case on notquitethere I still would be leery about baseless conjecture in support of it.

Would you like to tackle the other two points I made then since you clearly have an opinion on them? People aren't engaging with my post as much as I'd like them too, so here's a chance for you to show the rest of the town how it's done.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: December 27, 2020, 07:44:13 pm »

Nirur Torir: Why aren't you voting?
Fear of vote manipulation hammering unexpectedly.
In spirit, my vote is on Tric, where I think it's been since I unvoted Owl. I don't want to add it mechanically before I get my reads list out, but I'm slow today.

Your uncertainty in this case makes me inclined to assume that the voting shenanigans are localized on you. I remember that you said this before when the biggest bandwagon was three votes, and didn't follow up much on what Jim (?) said at the time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 27, 2020, 08:05:12 pm »

Your uncertainty in this case makes me inclined to assume that the voting shenanigans are localized on you.
Not to my knowledge.
At the time, I thought Tric lynchable enough to draw a big bandwagon. I don't consider it likely that someone can force a hammer at 7 votes, but felt it worth casting a spiritual instead of mechanical vote to further minimize an unexpectedly early end to D1.
I remember that you said this before when the biggest bandwagon was three votes, and didn't follow up much on what Jim (?) said at the time.
I knew I wasn't going to get to ironing out my reads before going to bed.
You gave most of what he asked for, and I gave quotes. What more was there to say about "I'm too lazy to read, where did Tric roleclaim?"

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: December 27, 2020, 08:29:13 pm »

*snip*

Going to try to continue my reads list now. I'm still sticking with the philosophy of the first part, because going through all the posts and writing something for each and every name will probably take me 3 hours. Can't keep people waiting that long, and I'll be playing some games with a friend soon.

Luckyowl: I was originally going to go against the grain here and say that I found him scummy. Luckyowl is new and he does usually make mistakes in past games, but I've never seen him act this dumb before. That power of trust and faith speech at the very beginning of the game is a candidate for one of the stupidest things I've ever heard in a game of mafia. I was also going to give him shit for using his role power to help Trickmagic of all people, but after looking through his posts, this happened before Tric posted his damning post about wanting Iceytea to get lynched for the hat. We didn't really suspect him of being a third party until then.

Can't really call him scum with that piece of evidence debunked.  I'll have to put him in the "WTF" pile like everyone else did. That's why you review your posts friend.

He seems to have adjusted his play now. It's still dumb, but it's the Luckyowl dumb I'm familiar with. He is capable of some clever plays though. I hope I see one of them soon.

Nirur Torir: The few posts I saw seemed decent, but I wish there were more of them. No opinion

And I'll have to stop myself again. The remaining people to write about are either lurkers or people who deserve a lot of research before I make an opinion on them. Vector for example is someone who has made a lot of posts but has given me vibes ranging from scummy to nothing, to "passive town". I feel like I can get a proper read on them if I reviewed their posts.

Sorry there wasn't any substance this time.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: December 27, 2020, 08:39:38 pm »

And I'll have to stop myself again. The remaining people to write about are either lurkers or people who deserve a lot of research before I make an opinion on them. Vector for example is someone who has made a lot of posts but has given me vibes ranging from scummy to nothing, to "passive town". I feel like I can get a proper read on them if I reviewed their posts.
I'd like more on Vector when you can. I don't expect to be able to get a useful read on them myself, and iirc everyone else said some variant on 'pro town.'

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: December 27, 2020, 09:09:37 pm »

On a side note, I've been reading BYOR 0 for funsies -- and people think that Doll/Dolores and I sound alike? Are you shitting me?!

Hahahahaha. Maybe I've changed over the past few years. Well, I hope you know definitively now that we're not the same person. Love to y'all.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: December 27, 2020, 09:15:20 pm »

On a side note, I've been reading BYOR 0 for funsies -- and people think that Doll/Dolores and I sound alike? Are you shitting me?!

Hahahahaha. Maybe I've changed over the past few years. Well, I hope you know definitively now that we're not the same person. Love to y'all.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 27, 2020, 09:22:01 pm »

*nod nod*, yes, I believe that. He's got the same mega-aggro style going. Hard outside, soft center, inconsistent, showy. Difficult to forget. Kind of funny to learn that we actually have played together before.

Ah well. Back to scumtell mines . . .

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: December 27, 2020, 09:24:03 pm »

PFP

No way. I don't feel Bookthras at all.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 122