Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 110580 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - The Badge Seller
« Reply #240 on: December 25, 2020, 05:36:10 pm »

@Webadict:
Are there other badges for sale? Can we see them?
The Badge Seller looks at ToonyMan quizzically. You feel a smile grow behind its mask.

"I have many Badges, but none other than this are for sale at the moment. They are for my eyes only until then."

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 25, 2020, 05:53:02 pm »

IcyTea, IcyTea, IcyTea. Why did you reveal your nefarious plot now? Luckyowl hasn't even posted yet. Why should town listen to anything an unjustified self-voter has to say?
Because not listening to people is how one loses this game as town, and I have knowledge town doesn't have. It seems to me that the only reason you'd have no reason to listen to me is if I don't have knowledge that you don't as well.

people who I feel are acting like they would like to be lynched in a WIFOMy kind of a way. Those people are IcyTea (self-voting)
So the only reason I'd ever self-vote is because I want to be lynched? There's a bunch of people here who gave different answers to my question on why I'm doing it; what do you think of them?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 25, 2020, 06:33:39 pm »

IcyTea, IcyTea, IcyTea. Why did you reveal your nefarious plot now? Luckyowl hasn't even posted yet. Why should town listen to anything an unjustified self-voter has to say?
Because not listening to people is how one loses this game as town, and I have knowledge town doesn't have. It seems to me that the only reason you'd have no reason to listen to me is if I don't have knowledge that you don't as well.

people who I feel are acting like they would like to be lynched in a WIFOMy kind of a way. Those people are IcyTea (self-voting)
So the only reason I'd ever self-vote is because I want to be lynched? There's a bunch of people here who gave different answers to my question on why I'm doing it; what do you think of them?

I don't think that the only reason why you would ever self-vote is because you would want to be lynched. I think it is a peculiar enough gambit that you have stuck with for long enough that it strongly indicates your actual alignment isn't town. I also don't think you're on the scumteam, because claiming a non-town alignment with this little pressure on you isn't generally to scum's advantage (this is where things start getting WIFOMy). Thanks for the clarification regarding that, by the way (in teal).

Anyhow: although obviously I'd like to lynch the scumteam, if one exists, ASAP, I'd also be OK with a D1 3rd party lynch.

I don't have opinions regarding the others' responses, either, because my only interest today is in figuring out the rough outlines of who is town and who isn't. I'll examine their responses later, but I think the information will be more valuable on later Days, if it has any whatsoever.

Are you mechanically capable of voting anyone other than yourself? Are there restrictions on the kinds of voting that you can do if you are not self-voting?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 25, 2020, 06:50:02 pm »

I think it is a peculiar enough gambit that you have stuck with for long enough that it strongly indicates your actual alignment isn't town.
Interesting. What would be the correct duration to self-vote on this long a day?

I also don't think you're on the scumteam, because claiming a non-town alignment with this little pressure on you isn't generally to scum's advantage (this is where things start getting WIFOMy). Thanks for the clarification regarding that, by the way (in teal).
That teal part should be read as "I have knowledge town!Toony doesn't have". The piece of knowledge in question is "IcyTea31 is town" which only I and scum know for sure right now.

Are you mechanically capable of voting anyone other than yourself? Are there restrictions on the kinds of voting that you can do if you are not self-voting?
You ask restrictions, when you should be asking freedoms.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 25, 2020, 06:52:15 pm »

I have knowledge town doesn't have.
Hahaha

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - We're Just Getting Started
« Reply #245 on: December 25, 2020, 08:05:45 pm »

replace out
I'll replace in, if you'll have me.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 25, 2020, 08:09:52 pm »

Pfp

Hey it's me, NQT. Merry Christmas everyone, looking forward to playing with you all again. Just a general disclaimer: my playstyle doesn't start really rolling until D2 (though please dont nk me tonight) but I'll still be active today (except maybe not today today as it's Christmas).

I would attack you for this if I didn't remember you saying the same thing years ago. I don't remember what my opinions were about it back then but if I could remember I'm sure I would find they haven't changed.

Jim usually I like short snappy days, but given its Christmastime and my time is constrained, a long d1 is actually preferable. Don't know how I'll feel about it by d2 end! What do you think about them?

I like the shorter days as well. The only problem is if I don't have enough time to engage in the game during the shorter day. That's the only scenario where I would prefer the extra time.

IcyTea31, just for the sakes of making there be three votes on someone instead of two and making people react.

I see people's points about you that you're not doing anything useful with your posts.

As a question to everyone, why would you want the badge being sold? For me it's mostly to avoid being roleblocked when I need to do something.
Right now, I don't want the badge being sold. I shall keep my pons.

Why do you know you'll need to do this "something" so soon in the game? Why do you think someone will roleblock you? Are you town-aligned?
Not rolefishing, I'm interested in your motivations.

I can't say I trust this certainty that you'll need to do a night action barely a day into the game, TricMagic. Your openness in your purchasing is however to be commended: Town needs information.

Why is this a reason to suspect anybody in a BYOR? Don't most roles have some sort of night component that people wouldn't like being blocked on?

Jim Groovester:
Jim Groovester: Some people made posts before the game started about the levels of shenanigans they chose. Would it be unsporting to read into those posts? Do you think they could yield useful insights? Do you think they couldn't?

I remember answering this but it didn't make it into my posts it seems.

Unsporting? No.
Could? No.
Could not? No.

I don't think analyzing the level of shenanigans people were talking about pregame is really going to amount to much.

I mean I know it's a BYOR but I'm reading through the thread now and it turns out I actually don't have much patience for games.
What do you have patience for, then? I thought we all gathered here to play games, no?

Don't make my game a chore to play. I don't have any interest in unraveling shitty mind games.

Unless you have a very convincing reason for why you, as town, would vote yourself and draw large amounts of attention to yourself over it (which I have yet to see you produce), then I am perfectly content leaving my vote where it is.

I know I'm town. That's the one piece of certain information that I have (before taking mechanics into account). I don't have to pass as town, because I'm town, so why not use that certain fact to scumhunt?

Town don't know my alignment, so they'll pursue me in good faith and, assuming competence, will eventually realize that I'm town and stop pursuing me after putting in just the right amount of effort. Scum know that I'm town, so they have to simulate the same, but don't have the same good faith and don't know for sure when to stop, either letting me off too easy or pushing even in the face of certain proof.

But now that you know that this is what I'm doing, will you let me off or will you keep pushing?

If you are town you need to not be a dillweed and get lynched since that's counterproductive, and a lot of that is on you to do and not on other people to successfully sniff out.

You are so off base that I'm growing more convinced you're scum or some other anti-town doing some idiotic gambit.

You ask restrictions, when you should be asking freedoms.

I really don't have the patience for 120 hours of this.

Guys, please, help me hammer IcyTea31.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 25, 2020, 08:27:42 pm »

Spoiler: ToonyMan (click to show/hide)

TricMagic
Dolores. Read on the next post after mine that you think others have alternate wincons. Which makes you suspect number one for me. Why do you think others have alternate wincons unless you received something or have one yourself?
Already told you that I have one and can't possibly access it on my own with how my role is structured. I'm also town, it's an extra wincon. Read the fucking thread.
4maskwolf
toaster/jim/toony/vector/njw
neutral/scum/neutral/slight town/neutral in that order, plus town on you.
Can you elaborate on the scum read on Jim? Why aren't you going after him if you're willing to tell me that you think that he's scum(my)?
PPE: Okay, I can kinda guess where this is gonna go and don't really disagree, but obviously I'd still like you to write a longer commentary on it.
Toaster
Speaking of philosophy, do you support policy lynches on lurkers?  What about policy lynches in general?
I really want to. No.
I've lost a lot of games to lynching lurkers and scum just coasting over the inactive town to victory, and it's a hard hole to get out of because you want to just throw your hands up and say 'well what can I do' but it's a verifiable miracle to get a 15 player game without at least one Caz who joins a game just to join a game and never had any intention of playing mafia earnestly, so it's not an attitude that's going to reflect well on my winrate.
I've never heard of a good policy besides lynch all lurkers, but that's barely even a policy, it's just prioritizing egregious and excessive anti-town actions as more lynchable than nebulously scummy ones. All of the other prescriptions to play (regarding lying, claims, etc.) are not only bad for your play and force you to play counter to your interests if followed, but are also just fundamentally wrong and defended only (in my experience) by people who are trash at mafia.
FallacyofUrist
IcyTea31, just for the sakes of making there be three votes on someone instead of two and making people react.
What a great post, really finds the scum.
What happened to your case on Vector? I know you switched to NJW for, and I quote,
NJW2000 for no reason whatsoever.
But aren't you going to, I dunno, grill ICT if he's who you're pushing on now?

I really don't have the patience for 120 hours of this.

Guys, please, help me hammer IcyTea31.
How about 600hrs?
Let's say that ICT actually was scummy at all. You really going to push for a hammer (on this theoretical probable scum) when one player hasn't posted at all, one basically hasn't posted and we need their replacement to finish arriving, and several others haven't had the time to get out of christmas and achieve a more significant engagement with the game?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 25, 2020, 08:40:52 pm »

[Off-topic: I'm not great, I've been in social isolation for more than 30 days now due to living alone in an area with a shelter-in-place order. Also, my cousin apparently got married over a year ago and didn't tell anyone outside her immediate family until today! On the other hand, it's nice to be playing Mafia with the gang again and I'm glad if other people can do some relaxing. I plan to spend most of tomorrow reading a novel.]
Damn, sucks to hear. Certainly have a lot of friends who are alone and I've been trying to reach out to them in some way. Hope you enjoyed your book.
Merry Christmas!

It has been good. Lots of time spent with family. I had Zoom Christmas with relatives. That was awful. The in-person visits have been much better.
That's cool. I was fortunate enough to get back to my family before things really blew up so I've also had family contact.
Good so far.  My kids spent the night last night and they got their stuff this morning, and they were quite delighted.  I saw both my parents (outside only, mask on whole time, limited time) for the first time in months.  I'm glad I could get most of everything delivered, because I'm pretty done with stores.
Nice, I've certainly found what limited contact I've been able to get with others over the last few months more precious than ever. Some of my older relatives are getting vaccinated soon so I have some hope I'll be able to visit them relatively soon.

What's your biggest concern for likely high shenaniganery?
I think my main concerns is that a lot of actions could end up not hitting their intended target (eg if there's an ability that can randomize all actions, or swap a bunch of targets around). That would make a mockery of any attempt to co-ordinate a breaking strategy, and makes me very disinclined to try and claim. I think in a weird way games with super heavy roles end up being more about town dayplay than simpler setups where you can reasonably predict outcomes.

So, who's scum? Do you think scum are more likely to have a higher shenanigan number?
No - we selected our shenanigan values before alignments were assigned and I'd expect webadict to assign alignments randomly to prevent metagaming. So I'd expect no correlation.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 25, 2020, 08:47:21 pm »

As a question to everyone, why would you want the badge being sold? For me it's mostly to avoid being roleblocked when I need to do something.
TricMagic. Personally, when I am scum I often get this wrenching feeling that I have made a mistake, and it gives me an urge to cover for this perceived mistake with an explanation afterwards. Do you also get this feeling?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 25, 2020, 08:48:34 pm »

Let's say that ICT actually was scummy at all. You really going to push for a hammer (on this theoretical probable scum) when one player hasn't posted at all, one basically hasn't posted and we need their replacement to finish arriving, and several others haven't had the time to get out of christmas and achieve a more significant engagement with the game?

Yes. I'm finding this Day 1 exhausting already and the sooner it ends the better.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 25, 2020, 09:20:52 pm »

Don't make my game a chore to play. I don't have any interest in unraveling shitty mind games.
What kind of a game would you be interested in? Want me to scream all-caps obscenities at you in the name of "pressure"?

Unless you have a very convincing reason for why you, as town, would vote yourself and draw large amounts of attention to yourself over it (which I have yet to see you produce), then I am perfectly content leaving my vote where it is.
Did you read my conversation with Toony? I spelled it out in pretty clear terms. Hell, you even quoted that part in your post. Having attention on me is a good thing, as it lets me see who's scrutinizing my alignment and who's trying to find an excuse to lynch me. Are you projecting a fear of attention, of having your alignment scrutinized?

If you are town you need to not be a dillweed and get lynched since that's counterproductive, and a lot of that is on you to do and not on other people to successfully sniff out.
Me getting lynched is your words, not mine. Townhunting is in fact other people's job just as it's mine. Keeping myself from looking scummy, however, is not my job; that's scum's job, since they're the ones who aren't protected by the fact of being town.

You are so off base that I'm growing more convinced you're scum or some other anti-town doing some idiotic gambit.
What's on-base? Would you rather have had me ask you what colour your sneakers are and use that as grounds for a groundless bandwagon?

I'm finding this Day 1 exhausting already and the sooner it ends the better.
Are you really willing to hand the initiative to scum simply because it's "exhausting" for town to win?

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #252 on: December 25, 2020, 09:22:16 pm »

Whew that's a lot of text to read from. I feel like some of these text gives scummy vibe. Almost like you're trying to hide something among these jargon. Maybe that's just the meta here.

For the vets who don't know me. I'm a new player who got two mafia games under my belt. Paranormal 26, and Bastard paranormal 3. In both of them I have committed blunders. However in my first one, Paranormal 26, I was able to recover from my blunder and be some sort of use to my townie. My second one unfortunately caused me my death when I forgot I had a space suit and asked Jim for one. So I expect to collect third blunder here. On what? But I'm sure excited to see what I'll trip on next.

With that out of the way.Because IcyTea31 opened with that really cool overly confidence self-voting.  I'm going to say IcyTea31 is townie and is the only I trust so far.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 25, 2020, 09:32:01 pm »

With that out of the way.Because IcyTea31 opened with that really cool overly confidence self-voting.  I'm going to say IcyTea31 is townie and is the only I trust so far.
You think self-voting is townish for being cool and overconfident? And just that, nothing else I or anyone else has posted?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 25, 2020, 09:38:06 pm »

@dolores:
FoU is already hot and if they just stopped posting altogether there's a high chance that they would get lynched. But I don't actually especially think that FoU is scum, though lurking is within his scum meta if I'm remembering this right (I'd need to reread their games including more recent ones before I'd be at all happy with joining or starting a lynch over this).
FallacyofUrist
What a great post, really finds the scum.
What happened to your case on Vector?
Which is it? You're voting FoU but don't think they're scum?

@Luckyowl:
With that out of the way. Because IcyTea31 opened with that really cool overly confidence self-voting.  I'm going to say IcyTea31 is townie and is the only I trust so far.
So who's scum?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 122