Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The benefits of elephant maps  (Read 1225 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: The benefits of elephant maps
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2007, 04:21:00 pm »

Hmm, If your gate is to the north and therefore where your dwarves come from, you should place the pressure plate as close to the north as possible, so a creature scares your dwarf before triggering it, plus placing the floodgate down south gives your dwarves more time to run.

You also want to make the corridor somewhat big to get them all in at once.

code:

###########
_+^^===^   #  <- Two bleeding traps (corkscrew, I think?)
 #######   #     Bridge and then pressure plate
 #######   #
 #######   #
 #######   #
 #######   #
 #######   #
 #######   #
~~~~~~~~X   #
 #######   #
_+         #
 ###########

Nothing fancy, really. The idea here is to get the entire herd into the thing and let the first elephant/creature trigger the flood and run into the bleeding traps while the rest drown. I'm just not sure how it will work with the bridge, would it flood too?

I don't have much experience with flooding traps, so what do you guys think?

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 12:31:00 am »

Eh, well I finally got around to actually testing a flood trap... turns out they don't really work...

The issue is with the pressure plates- they have two settings, temporary effect and permanent affect. The latter does indeed drown the elephants quite well, but destroys the pressure plate (and three mechanisms along with it).

Unfortunately the temporary effect only drops the flood gate for about three seconds, nowhere near the twenty seconds or so required to drown an elephant...

It was actually quite funny, I noticed a slowdown while managing my fortress elsewhere, went to check the trap to find about ten elephants walking over the pressure plate, swimming around a bit, and then walking right back over the pressure plate as soon as the water subsided... They were just toying with me... I quickly set the trap to permanent affect and killed them all, but as mentioned above that cost three mechanisms...

Well, three mechanisms are totally worth 160 meat, as well as loads of fat, leather, and bones, and I guess that's still probably less time consuming for my mechanic than reloading a boatload of stone traps, but I don't really think it's any better than a load of weapons in the end...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 10:06:00 am »

I kill my elephants with a single bleeding trap... The only problem is that when the other elephants see their friend bleeding to death, they run away.
Pages: 1 [2]