Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Shards of the Sky IC: Attack on Saint Ark's Port  (Read 2455 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Shards of the Sky IC: Attack on Saint Ark's Port
« on: November 23, 2020, 02:31:26 pm »

It was a normal morning in Saint Ark's Port. Massive ships moved cargo in and out of their holds. Sometimes that cargo was people who rushed eagerly to the neon lights of the city or the transit to the Cigar. In the center of the clear tropical sky was the sun sending its pleasant rays down to its favorite islands. In the park in the port, exotic birds sang on palm trees. Children made castles in a sand box. Nearby stores had open windows to let the cool island breeze inside.

Nobody saw the unprecedented daytime invasion happening.

They came from the sea. An attack from underwater nobody was expecting. Hundreds, then thousands of monsters emerged from the ocean. Despite their individual weakness they seem to have tactical direction. They first overwhelmed the daytime defenses. They entered the city through the openings they made. They split up. Half went to wreak havoc in the city, half began to sabotage the military equipment. Saint Ark's Guard scrambled into action. They'd be ready to face the threat in minutes.

In other words, they'd be ready too late. Civilians began running from the incoming tide of monsters. Shops slammed their doors and windows, then began boarding the place up as if preparing for a hurricane. Everyone took shelter. Those on the far side of the city had the luxury of enough time to get to safety.

Those in the park where too close to the ocean for that. The flood was here before anyone could react. Maybe the shops could become shelters just in time. But those in the park would never be able to make it inside.

A young girl in an angelic dress emerges out from one of the surrounding shops. She stands defiantly in front of the sandbox and the trembling children within. Her amulet grows as bright as a beacon.

It is clear to anyone with combat experience that she doesn't have a chance. She's not strong enough to even defeat the Slimes before her. She'd be lucky if she was even able to hold them off long enough for a single person to escape the park.

((And that is [[Probably]] where you come in. As fate would have it, a hardened military veteran, a mage from the far north, and an aged scholar capable of holding back the tide of enemies happen to be around this park. Will these men rise up to the occasion and become heroes? Or will they ignore this plot hook, let civilians die, and derail the GM's plans?

The park is near the a port, you can see the ocean from here. Passed the destroyed wall. You'd have to walk through here to get to the main city, or to transit to somewhere else. It is surrounded by shops and businesses of whatever type that you could be in and see everything that was going on outside.

If you want, you can explain what you where doing in the park before saying how you're reacting to the monsters. The monsters in the park are currently Shades and Slimes, clearly Level 1 fights, but there are a significant number of them. ))
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shards of the Sky IC: Attack on Saint Ark's Port
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 02:54:46 pm »

Before the invasion Ralik was hanging around the park because he had forgotten to save enough money to get a Hotel room, and was thus trying to figure out if he could safely sleep in the park for the night if he has to.
Upon seeing the horde though, Ralik immediately starts preparing for a fight, he may command ice and winter like it's an additional limb on occasion, but his heart is still a thing of flesh and humanity. In other words, Like heck was he going to let some kids die like this, not without a fight. The fact that killing the monsters might net him enough money and goodwill to get a place to sleep which isn't outside, was just a side benefit.
He pulls out his staff and runs up beside the Young girl. "I will not stand by and watch people die this day. It's clear that you are new to this, if you wish, flee. I will do my best as a mage of ice to hold them off." He readies his staff, priming a Heat Siphon in his mind. "But if you want to stand and Fight, I won't stop you."
(Just waiting for the actual stats for the first battle. And/or for a response from the NPC)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:36:34 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 05:46:09 pm »

Valen wasn't at the park at this time. But he wasn't very far. It seemed as though fate would have him make an entrance just as things started to take a turn for the worse...

(Don't want to compete for the spotlight with Ralik the moment he goes into Hero mode)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 10:11:22 am »

The Scribe had been there by sheer chance. It was a long story that began with a counterfeit iron coin he had found in a fish he caught... An entire slightly absurd chain of events. But what mattered was the finish. "Shades? Hah, weak things. You shall be decent target practice for me, I've been itching to say a few choice words..."
Forbidden thoughts and dark revelations stirred in his throat, as he paged through his book in a scholar's frenzy.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 06:11:49 pm »

Spoiler: LoreBook: Shades (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: LoreBook: Slimes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: LoreBook Cenny (click to show/hide)

Looking at the magia who had come to her aid, and the other that had begun attacking the flood with odd magic, she nods and turns around. With some effort she manages to lift the two children cowering in the sandbox over her shoulders.

"I'll help everyone get to safety. Good luck!"

----WAVE 1----
HP/SHARDS/BREAK

Slime 1 (200/200)(100/100)
Slime 2 (200/200)(100/100)
Shade 1 (100/100)(100/100)
Shade 2 (100/100)(100/100)

Ralik(100/100)(150/150)(0/100)
The Scribe(100/100)(150/150)(0/100)

Both Magia begin combat with the incoming flood!

Yet not all invaders honor this challenge. A shade strikes out with a shadow blade, twisting and turning in the air like a dragonfly. It goes around the two fighters - aiming to strike the back of the fleeing woman.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 06:27:09 pm »

Focused on his foes, Ralik releases the Heat siphon he had primed in his mind, focusing on the two Shades with the intent to get them out of the fight early. He is to late to react when he notices the incoming attack on the lady. "Crap." As he says that, a burst of cold appears around the two Shades, draining the meager warmth their bodies possessed.
My Power armor arms race

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 07:46:53 pm »

The one that thought it was devious would simply have to die first.
"Y̶o̸u̵ ̴t̶h̷i̵n̴k̶ ̸y̵o̴u̴r̷s̶e̸l̵f̶ ̶w̷i̶s̵e̴ ̶t̶o̷ ̵a̷v̴o̴i̸d̸ ̶t̴h̴e̴ ̸c̷o̸m̵b̷a̶t̸a̴n̴t̴s̵,̴ ̶b̵u̸t̵ ̴t̶h̵i̵s̷ ̷o̵n̴l̷y̷ ̸d̶r̵a̷w̶s̶ ̷t̷h̴e̸ ̸i̶r̶e̸ ̷o̸f̵ ̷m̸y̴ ̸m̴a̶s̵t̷e̵r̸.̴.̷.̵" he growls, with a dark intonation in his voice. And deep in the shadow's slow mind, it's soul... ached. Burned. Weakened. Shattered.
Forbidden Revelation - Target: The Shade that broke off from the fight.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 12:13:58 am »

Slime 1 (200/200)(75/100)
Slime 2 (175/200)(55/100)
Shade 1 (0/100)(100/100)
Shade 2 (0/100)(100/100)

Ralik(99/100)(100/150)(4/100) (Poison 3)
The Scribe(99/100)(125/150)(4/100)(Poison 3)

Both shades' fragile forms shatter entirely as Ralik steals their heat. Freezing faster than it can expand, the twisting blade falls to the ground like a line of icicles. The Scribe follows up by unleashing a Forbidden Revelation that falls on the ears (or rather, whatever counts as a soul) of the Slime in front rather than his now departed target. With the double defense the woman manages to escape with her cargo.

Avenging their fallen brethren, both Slimes unleash Venom Blob in retaliation! Their rather meager attack hits both of the city's newest heroes like a water balloon. Moments later both magia begin feeling sick to their stomach- they've successfully been poisoned by the slime's attack! They will lose 10% of their maximum health after every move until this status effect runs out in three turns.

It is now the protagonist's turn once again.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 12:19:06 am »

"You got a curing method? I got nothing." As Ralik says that he opens up on the unharmed slime with a spirit of Ice attack.
My Power armor arms race

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 09:37:40 pm »

"I wouldn't recommend it. It is... brutally effective."

Eldrich Tear: Slime B
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 10:49:25 pm »

Slime 1 (125/200)(75/100)
Slime 2 (125/200)(55/100) (PANIC! 3)
Shade 1 (0/100)(100/100)
Shade 2 (0/100)(100/100)

Ralik(64/100)(75/150)(8/100) (Poison 2)(SOI 1)
The Scribe(79/100)(100/150)(7/100)(Poison 2)

Ralik begins his Spirit of Ice attack! An Ice Spirit forms in the warm sun and unleashes an attack on the Slime! Ralik is hurt by Poison!

The Scribe sacrifices his own health to unleash and Eldrich Tear in reality! Slime 2 gazes into the abyss and goes mad from the revelation, running across the battlefield in a state of pure Panic! The Scribe is hurt by poison!

Slime 1 rams into Ralic with its sludge like body! It manages this game's first CRITICAL HIT! It actually manages to punch above its weight class with some solid damage!

Slime 2 accomplishes nothing useful in its blind Panic!

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 11:16:24 am »

"That's right little one... Run." the old man cackles.

Meanwhile, Ralik feels slightly... wrong. It's a good wrong?
But how the Scribe was staring at him was unsettling.

Frenzied Blood: Ralik
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 01:50:46 pm »

"Great! Time to murder a slime."
As he says that he gathers magics of Ice and spirit before hurling it at the slime who injured him so. Cast Spirit of Ice at Slime 1.
My Power armor arms race

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 01:18:14 am »

Slime 1 (10/200)(75/100)
Slime 2 (125/200)(55/100) (PANIC! 2)
Shade 1 (0/100)(100/100)
Shade 2 (0/100)(100/100)

Ralik(100/100)(50/150)(8/100) (Poison 1)(SOI 2)(Bleeding 3)
The Scribe(69/100)(75/150)(7/100)(Poison 1)

Ralik summons a second Spirit of Ice, throwing it at the slime as the first Spirit follows. They both crash into Slime 1, who's movements are now sluggish and slow due to being a blot of nearly-frozen liquid. Ralik is hurt by poison!

Suddenly, all of Ralik's wounds heal up! In a Akira style explosion of flesh that leaves an open wound behind. Beggars can't be choosers. He is now bleeding in addition to the poison, but for now he's back at maximum health! The Scribe is hurt by poison.

Slime 1 attacks The Scribe who dodges the slow, unwieldy rush. He manages to launch a counter attack leaving it even closer to death's door. 

Slime 2 continues to be much more mobile and panicked than his dead and dying friends, and gets nothing of note done other than moving around energetically.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 10:40:07 am »

(Uh... Frenzied Blood was the Buff, you're thinking of Wyrd Reconstruction.)
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
Pages: [1] 2 3