Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lockpicking and Security Thread: Raking and Entering  (Read 2077 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Lockpicking and Security Thread: Raking and Entering
« on: November 23, 2020, 12:27:16 am »

Lockpicking is a cool hobby where you sit around opening locks you legally purchased. Also we can talk about home security, because that's an important thing and I want to learn more about it.

Locksport, sport
Locksport is a term that a bunch of sweaty nerds came up with to describe opening locks with tools when you dropped your keys and still want to be able to use those keys later. It's a "sport" like bowling is a sport: you can drink a beer during it and not see a dip in your performance. Locksport does have actual competitions in which people race to open a challenge lock or a series of locks. The community is something akin to the speedrun community, doing a certain model of lock faster and faster.

Lockpicking as a hobby is something I dreamed about since being an edgy teenager. Now, as an edgy adult, I recognize it as a very relaxing and rewarding hobby. If you like puzzles, riddles, or puzzle games, I think you'd like it. We all know you like fantasy because this is a DF forum, so multi-class into rogue and get to pickin'.

Picks, the tools of the trade
To get started, you need three things - a tensioner, a pick, and a lock.
Now, locks are the easiest thing to find. I'll go into more detail about the types of locks later, but it's worth noting that the cheaper the lock is, usually, the easier it is to pick. Most people recommend the Master Lock #3 as a beginner lock. It only has 4 pins, is cheap, but not so cheap that it'll break. Also, a see-through lock is a nice thing to have for understanding lock mechanics. If you can find one for a reasonable price, they're cool to have. The leap from being able to see inside a lock to doing everything by feel is pretty rough, so don't get too attached to it.

Picks may be illegal or restricted in your region. Here is a list of the states plus a few countries. Generally, they're only used to prove premeditation on crimes, rather than owning them being illegal in its own right. But, uh...check first.

Picks will almost always come in a set. Most of these sets are bloated, as you really only need a standard pick and a tensioner to get started. I recommend a 8-12 piece set. I bought a 24-piece set and it came with stuff that I'll never use like tools for breaking into legally unlocking cars. I recommend going cheap here. Not...mall-ninja cheap, but cheap enough that you won't feel frustrated if the hobby doesn't suit you. Pick sets come with a variety of rakes and other tools which are low-skill attacks on locks. These are useful for pragmatically opening a lock, but if you're trying to get good at picking locks, don't worry about them.

Tensioners (also called torsion wrenches and tension wrenches) are very important and I found that having several of them is very useful. Different keyways might need different sizes of tensioners to give your pick room to mess with the pins. A pick set that comes with 2-3 tensioners is great.

Locks, I mean they're just sitting there waiting to be opened
In my amateur opinion, there are basically 4 types of locks in common usage. I'm going to address them here in an incomprehensible order.

Disc tumbler/Disc detainer lock:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Common uses:
Bike locks, padlocks, "high security" locks
Benefits:
Cannot be bumped or raked. Requires a special pick.

A disc-detainer lock is something you should avoid as a beginner. In my local shops, almost all padlocks are this type, which has been a frustrating experience. They are pickable, but require a specific pick or incredible skill with regular tools. That said, all that makes them great for home security, such as locking a gate or shed.
Spoiler: Disc detainer pick (click to show/hide)

Dimple lock:
Common uses:
House locks
Benefits:
The key looks cool.

Dimple locks are extremely common in Asia. The keyway looks similar to a "normal" pin-tumbler lock, but the key reveals the difference. Picking these locks is basically the same as a pin-tumbler, but the narrow profile can make moving your pick around pretty tough. A dimple pick is similar to a standard pick. The flag at the end is meant to be rotated to push up on the pins.
Spoiler: Dimple pick (click to show/hide)

Wafer locks:
Common uses:
Furniture, security boxes, car doors
Benefits:
The wafer design allows tumblers on both sides of the key - making them more difficult to pick.

Wafer locks range from stupidly easy to open (an office desk drawer) to pretty tough (car locks). If your wafer lock has wafers on both sides the general method is to pick one side, keep tension on, then pick the other - which sounds a lot easier than it is. They don't need any more specific tools than pin-tumbler locks. They're also extremely cheap because they're in stuff like desks and lockable medicine cabinets. As such, people often lose the keys and throw these things out.

Pin-tumbler locks
Common uses:
Basically everything
Benefits:
Cheap.

The pin-tumbler lock is the "basic" lock. It's the one in fantasy books and it's the one your level 5 rogue can't mess up thanks to Expertise in Thieves' tools and +4 Dex. These are the bread and butter locks to practice on. The method for picking is that which is used for basically all locks - tension makes it so the tumblers will lock into place when pushed into position by a pick.

I would go into further detail as to how to pick a lock, but honestly, everything I have read hasn't been clear until I actually had a lock and pick in my hands.

Anyway, let's have fun and don't do crimes
Buy a set of picks and while they're in the mail, buy a few locks. ReStore/Goodwill/any thrift store is likely to have a few locks lying around. Check your grand-dad's garage for some old ones he isn't using. Mess around with paper-clips and see if you can crack open your coworker's desk.

Check out LockpickingLawyer and BosnianBill on youtube for two pretty relaxing channels of skilled locksportists.
Remember: Never pick a lock you don't own (it's usually illegal) and don't pick a lock you intend to use (it's possible to break a lock while picking it, so don't lock yourself out of your house)

Advice on home security is welcome.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 09:30:31 am by delphonso »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lockpicking and Security Thread: Raking and Entering
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 07:25:59 am »

PTW, I haven't bought a set yet because I'm a procrastinator but I'll probably be trying to get a hold of one soon.

Also what about locks that say they're for security are they harder to pick than regular ones, because one of the locks I know where is is one of those construction site lockout padlocks.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 09:35:30 am »

PTW and I would like to add Deviant Ollam on the list of of Youtubers, his stuff isn't always about lock/security though.

Also what about locks that say they're for security are they harder to pick than regular ones, because one of the locks I know where is is one of those construction site lockout padlocks.

After watching lots of "high security" locks get destroyed in seconds or minutes at best* I have to say that it's more of a marketing gimmick than real security. Don't get me wrong, some of them do offer more protection against picking or some other attacks, but pretty much none of them can withstand a "destructive" method.

*Granted not everyone is as skilled as LPL but it is indicative that if one wants to open a lock they'll find a way.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 10:32:06 am »

Yeah "security" locks could be anything from being a disc-detainer (unlikely tools), just being a marketing gimmick (literally nothing special inside), or having security pins/false gates.

Security pins are something you'll find in higher end locks and come in a few varieties. They are effective at preventing low skill attacks such as raking, but at the end of the day a lock is a lock and bolt cutters are pretty good.

Raking
Raking is the act of using a rake to quickly open a lock. It is skill-less in that it relies on luck to bounce the pins in the right position. It's a bit noisier than picking, and can be prevented with security pins. That said, if you're doing a crime trying to open a lock you own, it's worth trying on basically any lock because it is low effort and high reward.

A rake can just be a paper clip or a specific type of rake. The action is pretty straight-forward. Apply tension to turn the lock slightly then run the rake up and down across the pins to bounce them up and hopefully in position. I found lightening and tightening tension in tandem with the raking motion to be useful. With this, I was able to open a padlock a few times using only paper clips.
Spoiler: Rakes (click to show/hide)

Jiggling is basically the same thing. Pickguns do something similar as well.

Security pins
A nice lock should have a couple security pins inside. The purpose of a security pin is to increase the difficulty of picking a lock. High end locks will have a few types of security pins, but even 1 should help prevent low-skill attacks such as raking.

Spools:
A spool is the most common type of security pin. As you push this pin up the thinner portion will allow your tension on the lock to turn it a bit, meaning the bottom of the pin won't pass through and the lock will not open. When pressured, you'll feel some counter-rotation. The way to get around a spool is to let off tension slightly and slip the pin up. It is very likely other pins will fall at that time. 2 spools in a lock make it pretty tough for this reason.

Serrated pins:
A serrated pin will give a click and feel set when pushed up, but that is just the edges on the pin catching the body of the lock. These are defeated by pushing the pins you suspect to be serrated up higher, which can cause non-serrated pins to be "over set" (shoving the tumbler up into the pin chamber, causing the lock to bind up and pretty much means starting over from the beginning).

There are more types, but these are the basics. There are also side bars and other things which I will get into in a later post. This is just the most useful for picking right now.

Ulfarr is 100% right on the security side. Basically no locks will hold up for more than 30 seconds to a destructive attack. I think most of security though is requiring destructive attacks. They are noisy, which might get attention, and more importantly, they leave evidence of the crime. If you used bolt cutters, there's a chance they can be matched later, for example.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 10:38:30 am by delphonso »

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 10:44:16 am »

-

(probably shouldn't confess to crimes on a forum)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 08:57:10 am by ArchimedesWojak »
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 11:53:44 am »

I haven't honestly used my picks in a long time. (They're actually sitting here next to me as I type at work, because I brought them in because someone locked themselves out of their office. I was not successful in opening it.)

Once you understand what the tensioner is for, lock picking makes all the sense. Also makes you hate every movie representation of lock picking for the rest of time.

I don't have much to add, except: Don't rake locks. Even if they're just your test locks, you will chew up the inside of your lock, and chew up your pick. It works, but you don't learn anything because of it, and if you jam or bend your pick, it will automatically be less useful. Even slight bends and deviations in the pick can make it harder to use.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 05:58:00 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 06:35:07 pm »

*flashbacks to the time i broke into a Wal-Mart and stole a 4K tv*

Did you pick any cool locks along the way?

Once you understand what the tensioner is for, lock picking makes all the sense. Also makes you hate every movie representation of lock picking for the rest of time.

I don't have much to add, except: Don't rake locks.

Yeah, that was the watershed moment for me - having a good tensioner. I'm at the point where I'm considering getting a few more because some of my locks have difficult keyways.

Good advice on the raking front. From a sportsmanship point of view, there's no point to raking.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 08:44:30 pm »

Hell Yeah...

...well just the front door but still very cool and very illegal do not recommend but 10/10 would steal more shit from walmart again
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 09:11:03 pm »

dang, I'd have to move about 50 miles northeast for it to be legal (I live in VA)
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 11:25:53 pm »

Hell Yeah...

...well just the front door but still very cool and very illegal do not recommend but 10/10 would steal more shit from walmart again

Walmart has a lot of cheap locks which are great for practicing lockpicking. Now I'm not recommending you steal them, but I'm also not not recommending that.

dang, I'd have to move about 50 miles northeast for it to be legal (I live in VA)

You gotta get a job as a locksmith, it seems. Soz, Roboto.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 12:08:55 am »

I didn't do a lot of practice with raking myself. What I've seen is that you do not be gentle. Keep a straight line on the pick, but really go in and out fast. If you get hung up on something not the pin, fuck eeeeettttt, just keep raking, you'll get it eventually. Takes some doing getting the right leverage on the tensioner while also being able to rake effectively.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 01:06:01 am »

You gotta get a job as a locksmith, it seems. Soz, Roboto.

I've done a tiny bit of digging, apparently to be a certified locksmith in the state of VA requires a 'mere' 18 hour course, plus whatever costs of registration, plus an eventual second course and re-registration at some later time.  In theory there's two places to take the course in my hometown, even.  I have no idea what the cost of this would be; I think actually by getting a trade job, your employer might fund the process.

On reflection, getting a proper trade job would be an upgrade to what I do these days for money, assuming the pay's worth it.

do not be gentle... straight line... really go in and out fast

lewd
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 03:33:51 am »

After watching lots of "high security" locks get destroyed in seconds or minutes at best* I have to say that it's more of a marketing gimmick than real security.
Figured that was the case, especially since the lock in question appeared to be a regular padlock in a plastic case that has keep out printed on it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2020, 04:17:52 am »

"bay12 turns into totse" was not on my 2020 bingo card.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2020, 05:37:49 am »

After watching lots of "high security" locks get destroyed in seconds or minutes at best* I have to say that it's more of a marketing gimmick than real security.
Figured that was the case, especially since the lock in question appeared to be a regular padlock in a plastic case that has keep out printed on it.

Truly daunting.

"bay12 turns into totse" was not on my 2020 bingo card.

Hey hey. We're only talking about locks you own here.

Besides, if we're talking about real crimes, lockpicking as a skill isn't worth it as far as time-investment vs. security strength. There is only a very niche scenario where lockpicking is preferable, and that scenario is mostly movies.
Pages: [1] 2