Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: The Last Ember [Turn 0: The Ashen Wastes]  (Read 4984 times)

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Ember [Turn 0: The Ashen Wastes]
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2020, 02:35:23 pm »

"Yeah, I doubt I can get this mess running again. The best we can do if we want to keep traveling in a mobile castle or something similar would be to scrap the current castle for parts and fabricate a number of smaller vessels engineered to operate specifically in the Ashen wastes. Or, if the original reactor is still intact, I should be able to rework and stabilize it so we can use it to power a small city built up out of the castle's wreckage. Given the issues with time, it may be wise to see if we can create a clock to keep track, to organize things to create a standardized temporal flow. If nothing else, a network of timepieces would tell us if time is working as it should out here or if what we're experiencing are actual irregularities in the flow of time."
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2020, 02:51:22 pm »

I don't like the thought of sitting around waiting for the Worm Beast to pick off our forces, never underestimate the danger of bleeding manpower. Yog-Har hisses out, somewhat displeased with being at the mercy of the Worm. We'll also have to worry about it attacking any scouting force I try to organize, along with reliably being able to backtrack to here. Though I must admit, this Beast will serve as a good grindstone. We'll either pass the first test of this hell, or die, there is no in between out here. He seems to switch a sort of grim humor at the dire situation, having long accepted the possibility of bitter death, even before the end of the world.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2020, 03:44:49 pm »

The Ashen politely declined the refreshments with a waving motion. His arms crossed, Arashkal was making annoyed clicking sounds with his crustacean mouth.
"I shouldn't have expected much from this vessel, though it did manage to carry us into the Wastes albeit a short distance. That much should be praised, at least."

He gazed at the ashen horizon, musing about the dangers hiding in the Wastes.
"This worm will be the least of our worries, I doubt the Wastes greatest danger is a vulgar worm. Worse things must be waiting there."

He paused for what he perceived as a few seconds.
"I will volunteer to lead an expedition with my Ashen Husks. They are resilient and expendable, and whatever curse of the soul exists in these lands couldn't possibly make my kin degenerate further. And it will give me an excuse to not be stuck in this palace of scrap. With some luck I may even find a place where to settle without being bothered by nagging godlings."

"Oh and of course, I will be magnanimous in my gratitude for carrying us this far. I will share any findings, if findings there is."

Arashkal volunteers to lead the Ash-Husks into the Wastes in order to explore the surroundings.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2020, 03:56:17 pm »

While he appreciates the sentiment, being a thing of metal and dead flesh, Howldyne has trouble partking of the refreshments offered. In response to Arashkal's words, Howldyne nods.
"I concur, that worm might not be the worst that's out there, we need to go out and search, and hunt down that worm and anything else we can find. We can't afford to have some random creature come by and destroy more of the castle and kill our people."
He Leans back a bit. "There is an issue though, navigation will be difficult without a good landmark. I'm thinking about rigging up a beacon to provide a point of reference. Maybe even a network of outposts with such beacons for navigation and early warning. Should let any expeditions find their way back or at least know where they are. By having the beacons use a lighthouse like beam and emit a series of omni-directional flashes every time they complete a rotation, we can have the beacons provide explorers with their direction relative to the beacon, and tell them which beacon is which, letting them figure out precisely where they are at any point. While I acknowledge your desire to split off, I don't believe it would be wise to do so before we have a good way to navigate out here, go off now and if you get lost there's not going to be an easy way to get back to the castle, or anywhere really, which is a problem if you plan to have your people split off to smaller groups to search larger areas."
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:00:16 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2020, 05:05:20 pm »

((Preliminary traits have been written for Ten-Tick Rani and Arashkal. If these look good, I'll officially add them. If you have concerns, let me know.))
Spoiler: Arashkal (Nakeen) (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2020, 05:06:41 pm »

Thakk Kal gently takes the offering from Ttipcmov, thanking the Glowcoil god with a slow nod. He then listens to the other gods thoughts on their situation and what they should do to move forward. "These are ambitious designs you have, clocks and lights, already you plan to start to tame these lands with your artifice. How long will it take you to create such devices?" Thakk Kal thinks for a moment, one hand tracing along a chain link in his beard as he contemplates. "For until we know if there is anything of interest around us, it will be hard for us to make decisions about if we are to stay here or attempt to move on. Perhaps if for now we may merely stays close in our explorations, so that we may try to minimize the chances of getting lost? Not that such a course of action has any degree of assured safety, but waiting over long seems like it may be dangerous as well."

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2020, 05:14:32 pm »

"It should be fairly simple to make a basic beacon, just a really big light. I can probably rework the Reactor to provide the energy. I need to check the thing anyways, it's been throwing out weird readings this whole time and I want to make sure it isn't going to fail or explode."
My Power armor arms race

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2020, 07:54:04 pm »

"How much do we truly know of the Wastes? For all we know, a landmark may be of little use. Say, if we walked a mile that way or this way, would we be able to see the point from which we came? Indeed, would we be really spatially a mile away? Enlighten me about this, scholars."

Ten-Tick Rani took a drink for herself and slurped it down. "Still, I don't see what harm a clock would do. Useful if it works, enlightening if it does not. As for myself, I would like to take patrol around to see if there is...anything we could use or navigate towards to. Assuming my hypothesis on spatial oddities here are unfounded. Should we find trouble, well, I've faced impossible odds before."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2020, 05:15:01 pm »

"How much do we truly know of the Wastes? For all we know, a landmark may be of little use. Say, if we walked a mile that way or this way, would we be able to see the point from which we came? Indeed, would we be really spatially a mile away? Enlighten me about this, scholars."

Ten-Tick Rani took a drink for herself and slurped it down. "Still, I don't see what harm a clock would do. Useful if it works, enlightening if it does not. As for myself, I would like to take patrol around to see if there is...anything we could use or navigate towards to. Assuming my hypothesis on spatial oddities here are unfounded. Should we find trouble, well, I've faced impossible odds before."
"And that is why a beacon is a necessity, if such anomalies do exist, then knowing of them is critical. If the Last is willing to handle making some clocks or other time keeping mechanisms, I would prefer to work on reworking the reactor, studying the anomalies encountered and either harnessing or minimizing them, to make a beacon and a power source for any future settlements built in or on this castle."
My Power armor arms race

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2020, 05:24:40 pm »

Remaining traits are done! You'll be stuck with these all game, so speak up if you're not happy with them.
Spoiler: The Last (Glass) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Arashkal (Nakeen) (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Howldyne (dgr11897) (click to show/hide)
Starting possessions, followers, and so on will be next.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2020, 05:26:33 pm »

"And that is why a beacon is a necessity, if such anomalies do exist, then knowing of them is critical. If the Last is willing to handle making some clocks or other time keeping mechanisms, I would prefer to work on reworking the reactor, studying the anomalies encountered and either harnessing or minimizing them, to make a beacon and a power source for any future settlements built in or on this castle."
Of course I should be glad to work the cogwork of clockwork! The fine mechanisms, the precision intrinsic, it is a true test of a real craftsgods' skills to shape one that can capture every freefloating second and force them to march in lockstep timelines!
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2020, 05:47:05 pm »

Of course I should be glad to work the cogwork of clockwork! The fine mechanisms, the precision intrinsic, it is a true test of a real craftsgods' skills to shape one that can capture every freefloating second and force them to march in lockstep timelines!
"Good. While you do that I will go and salvage the reactor to convert it into a beacon, while I will not actively prevent anyone from leaving if they wish, I recommend staying close until both projects are complete. Given the state of this castle, it might be wise to start disassembling the interior and reorienting it, if someone is willing to do so."
Howldyne leans back as he contemplates something
" Hmm... Given that we don't know what's out there, I have realized a beacon may be ill advised, but besides making something more arcane, which would take time we might not have, it seems to be our best shot for navigation, as it is simple and requires little equipment for away teams. I'll wait to hear if anyone has a better idea, but if nothing better presents itself I'm going to head right down and rework the reactor." Upon thinking a bit more Howldyne realizes something else.
"Oh, and we need someone to get started figuring out food, water, and other basic necessities, our current stocks won't last forever."
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 09:06:32 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2020, 10:29:46 pm »

Thakk Kal settles back as he contemplates the words of his fellow gods. "Such exuberance for action, I hope it is not misplaced in these desolate lands. Unless my help is required in such an area, I shall leave matters of technical and exploratory nature to the rest of you, for I have small interest and not much talent in such things." He seems to pause and think for a moment. "But I seem to recall... Yes. There are others matters I must attend to on this castle I think. For although I have no doubt that this place outside the world is not yet as horrible as I had feared, it yet may perhaps be more then can be withstood by some. The cessation of our movement may as well be a chance for me to attend to what little duty I have yet and sooth the present as well as the past, I think, lest the mortals under our charge find this change in the rhythm of their lives too upsetting to go on."

((These Tenets seem fine to me. Am I correct in assuming that the +1 tenets are essentially a specialized bonus to something that's already possible with the stat? Like, anyone can sooth people with spirit with a charismatic speech or whatever, it's just that Thakk is better at it then the amount of spirit he invests in the action would suggest, whereas the ability from the higher level Tenets is a unique possibility?))
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 10:39:04 pm by Criptfeind »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2020, 11:36:49 pm »

((These Tenets seem fine to me. Am I correct in assuming that the +1 tenets are essentially a specialized bonus to something that's already possible with the stat? Like, anyone can sooth people with spirit with a charismatic speech or whatever, it's just that Thakk is better at it then the amount of spirit he invests in the action would suggest, whereas the ability from the higher level Tenets is a unique possibility?))
((Correct. In that particular case, you can also calm people as a side effect of interacting with them for different purposes.))

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2020, 09:03:36 am »

"Oh, and we need someone to get started figuring out food, water, and other basic necessities, our current stocks won't last forever."

Ttipcmov speaks softly as she places the remaining refreshments down.

"Food can be grown by turning the mud to farmland and setting up light. Basic materials could be baked from mud to form bricks. And water perhaps by cutting open the clouds and reliving them of their bounty, capturing the water for later use after purification. All of these require power to be restored. Mortals are hardy enough to survive with gods to lead them. If it pleases you divines, I shall get started on the farmland with our mortal followers."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6