Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has this happened to you?  (Read 973 times)

HaunterV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has this happened to you?
« on: January 07, 2007, 12:21:00 am »

So I'm new and dont really know what is and isnt supposed to happen and what to do about things when they do happen...

So two seasons into the game a metalsmith of mine (he came to my fort along with a peasant after the first winter.) went BESERK! i mean downright whacko! He threw a tantrum then calmed down, threw a tantrum then calmed down. he repeated the process for around a year and in the process he trashed my Basalt road four workshops and inspired a farmer to topple the wagon in what i feel is probably a fort ending fit of rage.

So uhh I'm figuring that my first fort is more than likely doomed but I guess I'll try and stick it out.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Has this happened to you?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 12:42:00 am »

I'd be amazed if your first fort WASN'T doomed.

There are a number of things you can do about your nutso dwarf's problem, the easiest of which is to build an execution chamber for him.  Drowning is best, as it allows you to recover his stuff.

If it were later in the game, the sheriff would be a big help to you.  Of course, that doesn't help you now.

In general though, happy dwarves don't tantrum.  Check his thoughts, see what's pissing him off, and solve his problems.  Alternatively, build a legendary dining hall and make sure you have more units of alcohol than dwarves on hand at all times... in fact, preferably make it a 10:1 ratio or greater.  Them buggers drink like fish.

Hope this helps.

HaunterV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 12:45:00 am »

LoL well I hope I do better on the next one. Ive just had a mason starve to death now

He's still raging like a barbarian I Should send him out into the wilderness on a vision quest for inner peace sheesh!

[ January 07, 2007: Message edited by: HaunterV ]

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 05:50:00 am »

If you think thats bad, wait until you get a mood dwarf that goes ballistic on you! Just watch any swartzenegger movie, and you get the idea. Only Arny is usually the good guy, and berserk dwarves are BAD!

lol, and the other guy is right, its best to assume your first 10 or 20 forts are doomed. I'm on my ninth, after losing the last few to flooding. And I now have more floodable rooms than before (2 farms, tho one is closed off now, plus 4 huge forest "rooms".). Plus a huge amount of both water and lava plumbing. I'm not wondering IF it will flood, I'm wondering WHEN will it flood, and what KIND of flood will it be? At least a lava flood would be something different. A slow moving sudden death kind of flood for a change! Or maybe a group of dragons will laugh at my steam, fly past my hall traps, and gut my fortress like a fish. Who knows?

Its one of the great things about this game, nobody is untouchable. If they think they are, then Toady will add something that will humble them, I am sure. My worst fear, is a tunneler, something other than dwarves that can dig thru rock. But I understand that something like that is already in the works, and will be included when wall building is included. That will seriously change a lot of things!

ho watches those that watch us???

Krakow Sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 01:06:00 pm »

Heh. Even if your fort isnt doomed youll probably find yourself repeatedly restarting because you don't like the layout of your fort, or an irritating vein of uselss sphalerite is messing up your plans for noble's quaters.

Perhaps something should be written into the game that stops ore and gems from showing up 20 squares up and down from where the wagons start off.

Telok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 02:37:00 pm »

There is an invisible troublemaker that likes to throw levers randomly. I have had that sucker in a fort. About once a year at 80+ dwarves I got a message about a lever flip that I didn't command.

These days all my levers are behind a locked door or it takes two seperate levers to start/stop a flow.

Toady chortled about that one. Very dangerous in game designers, chortling.

[ January 07, 2007: Message edited by: Telok ]