Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Gods are Watching - POC Edition  (Read 4335 times)

Ixarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gods are Watching - POC Edition
« on: November 12, 2020, 05:07:39 am »

Gods are Watching – POC Edition

Hello Bay12! I’ve been following many games on the forum, especially the famous SPAMKINGDOM series (from Haspen, who by the way created recently a game on the same concept), though never created an account to participate.
Today I’ve created the said account to offer you a game where players act as divine entities (plus, the godgames seem to be trending on the forum these days.)who influence the world, observing empires rise and fall, and where nothing is assured except death and laughter of the evil gods (most probably you).

But today is not this day.
To be sure my system is functional, I need a Proof of Concept of it, which is why we will play for a time on a small peninsula of the world.

Here is our small corner of the world, which will be soon drowning in blood, for sure.
Brownish orange is for mountains, while brighter orange is for hills. Bright blue is for tundra. Brownish green stands for boreal forest, and green is for plains and scattered forests.

The rules

So how do one play ?
Each turn, or 10 years, I, the gamemaster, will pick a few random events to liven up the turn.
For every single event of the game, I will throw two D6 dice : one for the country and one for his opponent from the event. This opponent, depending of the context, can be another country, a part of its own population or the plain entropy.
The winner is the one with the highest die, with a victory proportionate to the gap between the scores. Event is concluded and the world evolve following the results.
The country who wins get +1 power (I’ll explain that), the one who loses get -1 power.

And that’s it. We roleplay based on that.

Yeah, but how do I play ?

Before each new turn, each player can allocate a bonus or a malus. You can use one of them, or not at all (which allows you to skip turns and come back later, or join / leave the game at any time).
If the country you gave a bonus / malus has an event during the turn, it gets a +1 / -1 on his die. If nothing happens, the country get +1 / -1 in his “power pool” (which I’ll explain later).

Every five turns, or 50 years, instead of assign a bonus and malus, you will give your own event to a country.
Amongst the possible events, here is the list.
I will extend it if I have new ideas, and I would be happy to heard your proposals.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bear in mind that the more you detail the lore of your actions, the easier it is for me to build the event around. This is especially true for the first 6 actions of the list.

Every 50 turns, or 500 years, instead of doing each you own action, you will vote for a cataclysmic sized event, which will most probably disrupt the world for the next half-millennium to come.
I will not tell too much for now, to keep the surprise.

A quick note about the concept of “power”

As I said above, countries have the statistic of “power”.
When they win an event, they get +1 power. When they lose, they get -1.
Also, when a player gives to a country a bless or curse who are not used in an event, they +1 / -1 go into their “power pool”.
But then, what’s the use of the power pool? Well, let’s say that once their power pool is high enough (let’s go for an arbitrary +10 / -10 for now), the country will receive a positive / negative event that shows its strength or demise momentum.
Its power pool will then drop to +5 / -5, and the event rolls up.

Also, as this mechanic makes it quite easy for a group of players to spam blesses or curses on a country, I reserve some funny shenanigans for this kind of situation.

Okay, but what is the goal of the game? How do I win?

You can’t really win. You can mold to your taste the world, or a part of it… Or at least try, as every player will do the same. Or just enjoy creating chaos, or see the world suffering, and well… Playing god.
You can focus on a country, a group of country, a culture, create your own religion with people worshipping you (or your avatar, at least), or just actively sabotaging any form of order. You set your goal.
You can see this as an interactive indirect worldbuilding. Or at least that sounds good.

Oh, and last thing before we start: you probably guessed it, but I am not a native English speaker, so sorry for the numerous mistakes and wrong spelling.
Hope you will enjoy the game despite this.

Year 1000 AD

Meet the Hyrun Peninsula. We are in the year 1000 AD (After Dislocation). Centuries ago, the king Udrul I “The Great” unified under the kingdom of Hyrun the peninsula, apart for the tundra and northern forests.
A millennium ago, this great kingdom imploded, facing internal turmoil and external invasions.

A thousand years after the Dislocation, the peninsula is utterly divided.
Since the dawn of time, tribals live in the northern misty boreal forests of the peninsula.
South of them reside the numerous nomad clans, roaming in the tundra. Since the fall of Hyrun, they returned to their ancestral lifestyle, trading and plundering with their sedentary neighbors.
In the southern tundra rule the goblin hordes. Coming from the north-west, they faced the wood elves living in the great western forest, before finally entering in the peninsula. They took part in the downfall of the kingdom. A millennium after, only two tribes are left of those terrible, nasty and vicious little foes.
The island of Grodel was part of the kingdom, unlike the island of Egorash. However, both were built upon ancient ruins, probably built by ancestors, or at least cousins of the wood elves from the west. Smaller ruined cities are scattered on the coast of the peninsula, the capitals of Vidunese and Larinise kingdoms are well-known for being built upon elvish ruins.
The major left part of the peninsula is occupied by the numerous heirs of the broken kingdom of Hyrun. Some are still tying to their name under the kingdom, while some others are fancying themselves as kingdom, even when they not really deserve it. A few others were created after the fall, vying for power.
The rest of the lands is either unoccupied, in ruins or with too few inhabitants to pretend being a serious political entity.

The economy is mainly agricultural-based, with a functional metalworking network. The Poris Federation has a few metal mines in its northern hills, and Wania kingdom has gold, and copper of great quality, although the road to the coast following the river is made dangerous by the goblins and nomads.
The real driving force of the peninsula’s economy is slavery. Slaves are sent in fields, mines, or as domestics and courtiers. Many are sent to the south, towards the mythical empires of the Inner Sea. With too few natural resources on its own, the Hyrun Peninsula is reduced to monetize sweat and blood of its inhabitants.
Though goblins make terrible slaves, they are often used as fools in noble courts, or to entertain crowd in arena fights, for example facing wild bears. Nomads are sturdier, but slave raids usually provoke a counter-attack from their clan some times later. Slavers mostly take nomad captives by buying them from rival clans who took them prisoners during their endless tribal wars.
Northern tribals make the most of the slaves. The Kewith Serene Republic is the hub of the slavery in the north of the peninsula, launching many coastal as well as land raids to capture slaves, which are then conveyed in the southern cities. This led the tribes to fall back from the coasts, sinking deep into the foggy forests of the north.
Seldom, a forsaken wood elf is caught. Renowned for their lengthy lifespan, their tallness and divine grace and beauty, an enslaved wood elf is worth a fortune on the slave markets.

On the political scene, the kingdoms of Larinise, Briven and Vidunese, aside with the Principality of Tirodal are the major pretenders to the kingdom of Hyrun, due to the fact that they have the most important populations of the peninsula. The Briven’capital is also the ancient capital of the kingdom of Hyrun, and is the subject of many confrontations with Larinise and Tirodal since centuries.

Religions on the peninsula is a mess. Nomads and tribals have their own ancestral gods, while goblins got bloodthirsty ones.
Little is known of the wood elves far in the west, as they are very reclusive and hostile to those who cross their borders. It is believed they have a connection to the trees of the forest they live in, mutually protecting the others from danger.
For the heirs of the Hyrun kingdom, this is however far more complicated. There are three main religions: Gunnar, Shadar and Vendhar. All of them are from the same faith, so old that its very name was forgotten through millenniums. Outside of those three, hundreds, if not thousands of minorities and cults more or less successfully coexist.
The Gunnis gods are a pack of cruel and selfish gods and goddesses, mainly worshipped by merchants, farmers and craftsmen. Their worshippers are also the most numerous. Next are the Shadars, brutal and authoritarian deities mostly popular in the martial social standing, and the Vendhars, often considered as the most ancient and royal faith, worshipping the higher pantheon, especially the “God of gods”, ruler of the many, many gods venerated in the peninsula. Vendhar is the religion of the rulers, nobility and clergy. 

If you need some indications from the map :
The four tribes in the north = tribal people, did not much evolved since the rise of the Men. Suffer of regular raids from slavers.
The clans of the tundra = nomad tribes, in constant bickering between each other. Raid and trade with neighbors, depending of their mood
Tribes of Gooldtooth and Blood Claw = Goblins tribes, very aggressive. Often leave their tundra to raid weak and vulnerable villages.
Ilyanoris and Yn Antheas = Wood elf realms. They are intertwined to their forests, and divine actions will have peculiar reactions.
Warband = Gathering of bandits, under the precarious control of a warlord.
Chiefdom = A ancient feudal state, tribalized at some time after the Dislocation. Unity of the country mostly rely upon the charisma and authority of the ruler.
Federation = Coalition of reduced states, mostly cities and lower nobility’s territories allied to not get gobbled by more powerful neighbors.
Duchy / Principality / Kingdom / Republic = Successors of the Hyrun Kingdom, built from the ashes of the Dislocation or decades and centuries after (except Egorash, who was never part of the kingdom).

We are currently in the bronze age, to situate the era.

You can start now by giving a bless or a curse to the nation of your choice.
We won’t start by special actions, or a cataclysm. Throwing some gods-players in this small world is already a cataclysm big enough.
Oh, and because of scenario motive unknown magic, you can’t act or view beyond the map.
Have fun !

—————————————————-

Summary

Year 1010

Year 1020

Year 1030

Year 1040

Year 1050 :

Year 1060 :

Year 1070 :

Year 1080 :
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 09:28:36 am by Ixarys »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gods are Watching - POC Edition
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 12:19:26 pm »

Bless Egorash Kingdom, Gather other gods to bless it. It shall conquer the world!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 12:58:37 pm »

Bless the Grodel Republic, that they may build great alliances and conquer the routes of trade.

(Good on you for joining! And I assure you, godgames are always in demand, even if they aren't always running.)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 01:01:02 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 03:26:28 pm »

Bless the Blind God Tribe. So that their leaders might one day have the wisdom and strength to fight back against the suffering inflicted upon the Northern Tribes!

[Welcome to the forum, it's always nice to see new faces.]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 03:29:47 pm by Prophet »
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 03:57:59 pm »

I will also Bless the Blind God Tribe, so they can provide a sturdier oppsition to the hateful slavers

Ixarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 05:39:39 pm »

[Thank you for your welcome ! And for give this game a try ^^
We will cross through first turns fairy quickly, as things will get interesting once you start to create you own events]

-------------------------------------------------------------

Year 1010 AD

Year 1004 : The chief of the Khusil Chiefdom try to negotiate taxes for safe travel on his land for gold and copper caravans from Wania Kingdom, who are following the path of the river.
3 v 3 = Draw
Khusil chieftain put some pressure, but the Wania king refuses to give in. The chieftain chose to not insist further, and both parties left unsatisfied.

Year 1006 : War ! Infuriated by the snacking of their borders by the Vidunese Kingdom, the Logura Federation declares war and gathers its troops.
5 v 5 = Draw (again!)
Initially pushing deep into vidunese territory, the loguran forces are progressively rebuffed on their side of the frontier. After the fall of a loguran coastal city, a precarious truce is negotiated. Both states tend to their wounds for the second phase of the war.

Year 1007 : A disagreement between the elvish queen of the Ilyanoris realm and a vassal lord degenerates into an armed conflict. The rebellious faction, called Sen Oldis, quickly launches a full-blown attack on Ilyanoris capital.
3 v 1 = Ilyanoris (pyrrhic) victory
After a brutal slaughter which leaves the capital devastated, the loyalists forces pushes back the rebels. When the ilyanorians soldiers finally enters rebels' city, they found it empty.
The surviving rebels had fled out of the ilyanorian territory, south-west of it. They start engaging a low-intensity war with their former overlord.

Year 1009 : The Qasian Principality try to establish a trade road between them and the Kewith Serene Republic, intending to obtain their own share of wealth from the slave trade.
3 v 5 = Kewith victory
Kewiths shipping slavers manage however to sabotage the project, bribing enough qasians officials to ultimately bury the entire project.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 05:50:13 pm »

Bless the Bloodclaw Tribe, War and pillage! Expansion and Blood!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 05:59:30 pm »

Continue to bless the Grodel Republic, in the hopes that they may spread fortune and gainful knowledge throughout the land - starting with themselves, of course.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 06:40:42 pm »

Bless the Green Tree Tribe. For it is only together, distinct but united under their common heritage, can the tribes muster the might to banish the suffering caused by the foreigners.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 06:55:39 pm »

Birth a child from the royal family of Egorash. His name will be Bobisus, and he will be next in line to rule the island on the 3rd turn (30 years or so.) but of course he will have to survive until then. If he survive to his teen I will bestow him a gift. While casually exploring the ruins of the Egorash he will stumble upon a 6 large eggs that hatched before him. 6 fire breathing dragons will have a divine bond with Bobisus by your truly. Bobisus will raise these dragons( it takes 2 turns for them to be the size of a bus.) When Bobisus become king he will one day expand his kingdom with his dragons. He will first set his eyes on Grendel Republic and conquer it. Then he will set his fiery ambitious gaze unto the Hyrun Peninsula and conquer it.   
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 07:03:22 pm by Luckyowl »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2020, 08:27:03 pm »

Birth a child from the royal family of Egorash. His name will be Bobisus, and he will be next in line to rule the island on the 3rd turn (30 years or so.) but of course he will have to survive until then. If he survive to his teen I will bestow him a gift. While casually exploring the ruins of the Egorash he will stumble upon a 6 large eggs that hatched before him. 6 fire breathing dragons will have a divine bond with Bobisus by your truly. Bobisus will raise these dragons( it takes 2 turns for them to be the size of a bus.) When Bobisus become king he will one day expand his kingdom with his dragons. He will first set his eyes on Grendel Republic and conquer it. Then he will set his fiery ambitious gaze unto the Hyrun Peninsula and conquer it.   
Nonono, for now you just bless or curse a country. Turn 5, you'll get to do stuff like this.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 08:34:22 pm »

Nonono, for now you just bless or curse a country. Turn 5, you'll get to do stuff like this.

gotcha. Bless  the royal family of Egorash a baby boy who will be next in line to rule the kingdom.

Ixarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 02:53:11 am »

You could not knew it because I did not tell it, but to give you some lore for your turn 5 action, dragons actually exist in this world ! Well, at least they existed, because they were last seen one or two milleniums ago, on the isles of the Inner Sea (in the south-west of the Hyrun Peninsula).
They are indeed tamable, but elves are the only known people to ever managed to do so (good intuition to do your action in Egorash :P). But hey, time for humans, I guess !

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2020, 03:16:25 am »

Bless Engdal Duchy

Ixarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2020, 05:51:04 am »

Year 1020 AD

Year 1011 : In an unprecedented move, the more clever than usual goblin chief of the Goldtooth Horde offers to its neighboring Blood Claw Horde a trade deal, to make peace between the two goblin clan who bicker with each other since centuries, when they do not raid human towns.
6 v 3+1 = Goldtooth victory
Thanks to their steady raids on gold mines of the Wania Kingdom, the Goldtooth Horde definitely get the upper hand in the trade balance with their fellow goblins. An effective first step in the goblins' union on the peninsula.

Year 1014 : A little revolution happens in the Vedinar Federation. A blacksmith called Somos discovers a new method to shape bronze, making it more strong and less breakable. His apprentices soon try to spread the "somosian method" in the region.
2 v 2 = Draw (are those dice loaded ?)
However, cults of the metal gods, patron saints of the blacksmiths, exerce a lobbying to keep traditional practices. The somosian technique has hard time to pass over vedinar's borders.

Year 1018 : Disappointed by the Kewith Serene Republic, the Qasian Principality turns its eyes towards the Kharid Kingdom, and try to have some benefits through diplomatic means.
5 v 1 = Great Qasian success
With the support of talented negotiators, they managed to get as a dowry for diplomatic marriage a sizable piece of Kharid's territory.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6