Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How Hard Is Creating Custom Races  (Read 2905 times)

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How Hard Is Creating Custom Races
« on: November 07, 2020, 01:11:15 pm »

title
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: How Hard Is Creating Custom Races
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 06:50:13 pm »

Depends on what you want.

Making dwarves with metal skin is pretty easy.

Making a new civilization of two-headed sentients, with their own unique workshops and products requires a lot more work.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2020, 10:21:54 pm »

Depends on what you want.

Making dwarves with metal skin is pretty easy.

Making a new civilization of two-headed sentients, with their own unique workshops and products requires a lot more work.

Understandable

My Goals Are Too Ambitious
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 10:29:41 pm »

I wouldn't say that - there is also DFHack, which you can use to pull off all sorts of nonsense. I recommend the DF Discord modding channel for live advice, I found that infinitely helpful when I was getting started.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 02:23:31 am »

wait we have a discord modding channel

My advise for custom races is to copy-paste existing races, and mess with them. Don't forget to change the creature ID string at the beginning of the definition or things get fun!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 02:25:10 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 06:09:39 am »

I'll say what I say to my friends. Learning to mod dwarf fortress has a much softer learning curve than learning to play it. Getting something to work flawlessly the first time probably won't happen, but once something goes wrong it's normally pretty obvious what you need to fix.
This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 06:33:46 am »

I'll say what I say to my friends. Learning to mod dwarf fortress has a much softer learning curve than learning to play it. Getting something to work flawlessly the first time probably won't happen, but once something goes wrong it's normally pretty obvious what you need to fix.
This is quite true.

It can also be as entertaining as the game. My first modded creature died because I attached their head to their ass and they kept suffocating.

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 08:07:09 am »

I somehow managed to accidentally add in inheritable birth defects to my previous modded race. If they were born too small they'd be missing their skull and ribs. Or at least, I think thats what was causing it. It had to be something inheritable because how common it was varied a lot between different civs.

They also applied a syndrome so strong I couldn't cure it even with memory editing. Fun.
This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 03:51:32 pm »

i tried to create a badass orc race

they ended on getting curb-stomped by kobolds during worldgen

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 04:01:04 pm »

huh. Kobolds shouldn't be curbstomping anything, let alone orcs. The size difference alone should make the matchup impossible. Did you copy and modify a different creature/entity and if so which ones?

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 04:04:09 pm »

from scratch

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 04:12:25 pm »

hmmmmm, well thats harder to figure out without the raws. Losing to kobolds is pretty hard though, so I'm going to guess they either had some problem that kept them from fighting at all, or there was something in the entity raws that caused them trouble. Wooden weapons, lack of livestock, or lack of materials to make weapons/armor out of could have done it.

Easy way to narrow down if it was the entity or the civ would be to add them as an additional creature token to say, humans, and see how the perform there.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 01:13:51 am »

I created an orc race once and they almost always took over most of the world.
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2020, 02:56:07 pm »

I'm trying to create what are essentially plant orcs, but the game doesn't like my custom tissues and decided to make them entirely out of teeth instead.

edit: So, uh, I found the problem, apparently I forgot to put [OBJECT:TISSUE_TEMPLATE] at the start of my tissue template file.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 06:34:24 pm by ChaosPotato »
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2020, 04:34:04 pm »

Kobolds beating Orcs.... LOL
Pages: [1] 2