Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Champion kicks goblin/troll ass  (Read 863 times)

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
Champion kicks goblin/troll ass
« on: January 06, 2007, 06:32:00 pm »

From all the training my initial macemen had, three of them took on Legendary status and became Champions. I never really needed them for military work, so they continued to spar and grew in experience with Shields and Armor. Not to mention gaining nearly all attribute levels!

Now, recently, my lava channel ran into floodgate troubles (flipping the switch repeatedly is NOT a good thing; lava drained all the way back to the lava fields and I had to rush to kick-start it again). So I had to finally bring my military into action to prevent the trolls and a deadly goblin bowman from ravaging my corridor leading to my seige engines.

One champion came rushing down and took on the entire squad of trolls by himself, only taking a few bumps and bruises. But the bowman managed a few lucky shots and he bled to death. A second champion avenged his death quickly.

My channel still wasn't operational and the next squad of trolls and goblins were coming. That second champion took it upon himself to engage them all in the tiny one-tile channel, smashing troll skulls left and right, stomping goblins when they decided their grunts weren't doing so good, and blocking every single arrow that flew towards him. He came out of there with only a yellow wound and several bruises, where the lava finally flowed to clean the blood (and useless leather/cloth articles).

I wish the rest of my military were this...militant in sparring and getting better. :/

The seige was quickly broken after that!

Kylaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Champion kicks goblin/troll ass
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 10:52:00 pm »

In my current game, whenever I get military dwarves, I switch them over to Wrestling. I use that to get them built up to decent skill levels, not only wrestling itself but also shield and armor use.

Then I switch them to warhammers. I'm currently in this phase. I want them to have at least a moderate level of hammer skill.

Next phase, I'm going to give them crossbows. My dwarves will be professional soldiers; fire bolts 'til the ammo runs out, wade in, club 'em with the crossbows. And hopefully enough defensive skills to keep themselves alive. I'll see how it goes...

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 05:08:00 am »

A slight change in direction here, but I am trying something else now. I am taking a page from the swiss and isrealies, and starting to train everyone in the fortress, at least to some degree. That way, if I ever do need to fight with civies, they will at least have some skill at it. And with nearly 200 dwarves now, that would make an awsum militia!

I just picked an odd soldier who had just made marksman, and put him in charge of the civie squad. I then draft those that are jobless, until I have six or seven in the squad (For now while I'm trying it out.). And except for some light duty protecting the trade post from kobold thieves, they spend all there time standing down, so they can spar or use the archery ranges. And whenever someone gets to the first skill level, marksman or whatever, I release them and draft somebody else that isnt working just then. And most I am making archers. But also a few axemen (Lumberjacks and carpenters) and hammerdwarves (smiths, smelters, and miners. Just seemed to fit them.). In time, that will give everyone at least some basic military skill. They wont be just cannon fodder, or meat shields for the real military, they be able to give as well as take.

ho watches those that watch us???

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 07:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by darknight:
<STRONG>they be able to give as well as take.</STRONG>

I am truly sorry for this, but I thought some very horrible thoughts involving dwarves and goblins right here.

By the way, you forgot to mention Sparta.

[ January 07, 2007: Message edited by: Rondol ]

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 08:52:00 am »

They dont count. Spartans had no civs at all, everyone was a soldier. Made them demons on a battlefield, but losers off of it.
ho watches those that watch us???

HaunterV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 01:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by darknight:
<STRONG>They dont count. Spartans had no civs at all, everyone was a soldier. Made them demons on a battlefield, but losers off of it.</STRONG>

Dont forget spartans were the manliest men ever they marched into battle naked!

Ancient Whale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 05:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by HaunterV:
<STRONG>
Dont forget spartans were the manliest men ever they marched into battle naked!</STRONG>

I dunno, that sounds kinda brokeback to me...

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 09:37:00 pm »

Whatever you guys might say, I'm looking forward to the Three Hundred.

HaunterV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 09:48:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Whale:
<STRONG>

I dunno, that sounds kinda brokeback to me...</STRONG>

well they did promote  the brokeback philosophy  to make their soldiers a closerknit fighting team.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 08:58:00 am »

quote:
They dont count. Spartans had no civs at all, everyone was a soldier. Made them demons on a battlefield, but losers off of it.  

actually they didn't NEED to learn to do something aside from fighting. they had so many slaves due to their constant conquers, that the only think they would want - some more slaves.

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 12:15:00 am »

Sparta didn't really do a lot of conquering, did they?

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 05:25:00 am »

are you kidding?

segmose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 06:04:00 am »

They conquored Athenas for some years but werent really empire builders, and wouldnt have been able to hold on to it anyway as only true blood spartans may bear weapons and their number were rapidly falling from ifaik 8000 at highest 600 bc. to around a 1000 at 400 bc.

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 11:06:00 pm »

Yeah, see when you said "conquer" I immediately thought conquer-and-hold.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 11:34:00 pm »

that's a bit irrelevant to what i've said.
i revolted to somebody's note that spartans were good soldiers but otherwise losers. so i said that spartans didn't need to develop their own agricultural skills, because everything they needed was manufactured by their slaves (which they had plenty) or received as a tribute from minor city-states.
if sparta was to fall, it's definetly not because it's citizens couldn't grow crops as good as others.