Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A suggestion for an oath system  (Read 1054 times)

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A suggestion for an oath system
« on: November 06, 2020, 09:19:57 am »

I think the game has a lot of the stuff in place already to make this fun.

Basic idea:

An oath is a trade with a god. You promise the good to do X, the god rewards you with Y to help you achieve X, but if you fail the got punished you with Z.

X can be stuff like "kill 10 goblins in a week", "kill 3 rocs in a year", "build 100 statues", "get fort value to [value] within a year".

If you want a stat boost before you fight a roc, you should not be able to swear just to fight this roc, so it would be a free lunch. You'd have to swear some more things, that should be designed to be more than what the player wants to do. Maybe like "kill 3 rocs within a year" is the "minimum oath".

It could potentially create some interesting race-against-the clock situations, with the player trying to fulfill his roc kill quote before the clock runs out and his legs burst into flame.

Also possible to create minor fun stuff. Like you take an oath never to eat fish for some small bonus (maybe a drowning protection) but then forget about it and eat a fish and then kaboom! (That oath would work great for fortress mode as well.)

Y can be stat bonuses, special items, special powers (i.e. an adventurer can turn invisible or can't drown, in fortress mode sleep need is halved, dwarves cannot drown, stuff like that). I think it can be taken from effects already in the game, example immunity to pain.

Z should be taken from stuff already in the game, like effects of poison. So it could be the effect from some snake poison inflicted on you every morning, it can be some of the undead stuff like you get inflicted with rot, or your ears become magma.

In fortress mode the Zs can be the effects from evil biomes (but underground) or that a bunch of dwarves get an individual effect like they get poisoned out of nowhere once a month or it could be that a bunch of bad creatures spawned in random locations of the map or your buried dead become hostile zombies.

An oath is sworn by one of the gods that exist in the world.

So the Y Z should if possible be related to the god's sphere.

If it makes no sense with Y Z in the sphere (i. e. you swear by the god of lust to kill orcs), they could be generic effects instead. I.e you swear by the god of lust to kill goblins, Y is a dodge bonus and Z is snake poison every morning for the rest of your sorry life. It would be way cooler if the Y and Z were sphere bases. So you swear by the god of rot and both the Y and Z will be effects that are rot-related.

Fortress mode - several uses.

Honestly not sure if oaths would be a fun addition to fortress mode. But throwing up some ideas anyway.

Anyway, I think in fortress mode there should be fort wide oaths, where the fort as a community takes an oath binding for all citizens.

(This is similar to the oathbreakers in Lord of the rings who become the army of the dead because they break their common oath.)

Fort wide oaths should give a fort-bonus and the penalty should be fort wide.

The player should decide to generate and take oaths. This would accomplish the same as in adventure mode; to force some extra goals upon you. Maybe you'd like a stat bonus to digging, and the only oath avalable is 100 z-levels. Then you'd be given some extra goal.

You could add game generated oaths, such as the monarch out of nowhere pledges that the fort will dig down 100 z levels or build a glass tower or whatever.

I'm not sure this would be fun though, as it would be disruptive to the game if mega projects were suddenly trust on you. It's something to ponder about if a game would be enjoyable if the player's goals were sometime randomly reset. It might be fun, I don't know other games that does this, so it would be rather unique and give a chaotic feel to it that in the middle of your project of building a moat or whatever you have to scramble to construct a glass tower. On the other hand, the goals of the oath would be set by the game, and probably the game can't check if a glass tower exists in the fort by a given date - so it would be more boring stuff like put 100 statues below 20 z levels and such.

You could also have dwarfs spontaneously making individual oaths. This is akin to moods.

It could range from stuff like "I swear I will never go outside again" to "I swear to protect my spouse to the death" to "I swear I will face an elf in combat." The dwarf would then get a bonus related to the oath, and would get severely penalized for screwing up.

So you might get stuff with a dwarf randomly bursting into flames or getting turned into a random creature.

Example: The game makes the doctor swears by a god of fire, "I will not let any patients unattended". The doctor would get a stat bonus, and burst into flames if he failed.

Example: A dwarf swears he will never be rained upon again. This gives him a bonus regarding focus so he's always focused, but if you forget about it and he gets rained upon anyway, one of his arms fall off.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A suggestion for an oath system
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 10:54:09 am »

Just realized that as the system would be applied to game controlled characters crazy stuff could happen, and you'd find some very strange places in adventure mode.

Like a human hamlet where it was raining blood because they had broken some oath.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 04:47:06 pm »

Excellent idea. This will surely add a lot of content.

And group-wide oaths is a good idea deserving expending, since several sworn convenants have influed history: for exemple the Covenanters played a huge role in Scottish and even British history and, in fiction, we have the Fellowship of the Ring. Hell, Judaism is based on someone pledging, him and his descendents, to follow a deity.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 05:53:56 pm »

You can add to previous discussions with your new ideas in the Suggestions forum. Nothing much has changed since the last time oaths were suggested:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176872.msg8165499#msg8165499

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 08:48:37 am »

I like the meta thread, but I think it is smarter to discuss individual ideas in ther own thread, and then collect them in a meta-thread for Toady?

I was thinking the game screen for an oath should look like this:

You click O to get the oath screen.

Then you get a searchable list of Y, of effects you can get by swearing an oath.

Like you search "drowning", and you find an effect "immune to drowning for 30 minutes."

Next you get a list of gods that offers this effect, you can choose between say the god of fish and the god of volcanos. It also says what is the price for the effect, like god of fish demands you never again hurt a fish and god of volcanos demand you pray to him once a day.

You are not told the Z, the punishment. The game from effects selected the Z for god of fish is to get king cobra venom infected every morning and the Z for god of volcanos is your hair turns into magma.

In RP terms it's the equivalent of somebody about to drown yell "Please god of fish, If you save me from this I will never eat fish again!". And then you have to spend the rest of the game avoiding fish.

The screen should work the same for forts.

Hit O, find "caravans for one season have prices lowered by 70%" offered from god of wealth

Price = "no trader ever gets hurt on your map"

Punishment = all items in the depot turns into alligators.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 06:09:29 pm »

Ah, never mind this post. Deleted...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 06:18:48 pm by Shonai_Dweller »