Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromancer Adventurers  (Read 2229 times)

Cataphract

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromancer Adventurers
« on: November 06, 2020, 06:46:06 am »

I haven't played as a necromancer since before 0.47. Back in the old days I didn't like it much, because it froze all your stats and you weren't able to give the zombies any commands. However with the update, I think I may try it again. Is it worth the effort? Are you capable of creating any new creatures, like the infected ghouls or intelligent undead? I've heard a lot of rumors about stuff, but I've also heard some things may be bugged, so I want to hear from people who have actually played it.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer Adventurers
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 07:12:21 am »

Intelligent undead are...intelligent, which means they keep their original allegiances - that is, usually your enemy. If an allie dies, you can rez them as a powerful intelligent undead and that's awesome.

I only got myself killed by rezzing a bunch of hands and heads in a town center and some nearby dwarves didn't like that. Fun, but I never last long in adventure mode anyway.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 12:28:45 pm »

You can summon bogeyman or nightmare (or both). They will kill citizens, but citizens will not become your enemies.

Also, ghost raising isn't implemented yet, but I do something similar by DFhack and modded secret. When you are ghost, you can pass through walls only with empty inventory. But if you are not ghost and just ride ghostly mount, you will pass through walls with all your items!

Before stealing items from tomb, turn mummy into your undead servant. 

Cataphract

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2020, 03:21:39 am »

I've heard creating infected ghouls is bugged, is that true? The only thing better than zombies is zombies that can make more zombies. Also, can you exert more direct control over your minions, like get them to actually stay put?

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2020, 07:06:02 am »

I've heard creating infected ghouls is bugged, is that true? The only thing better than zombies is zombies that can make more zombies. Also, can you exert more direct control over your minions, like get them to actually stay put?
I think infected ghouls are [EXPERIMENT_ONLY], so they can only be created 'directly' in worldgen. If one of them bites you, on the other hand...

As for controlling your minions, from my current experience, the answer would be... sort of.

To wit, 'regular' zombies created by animate corpse are completely uncontrollable and will automatically attack anything living. Intelligent undead are slightly more complicated. If you recruited them at the start of your adventure, they'll be directly controllable by [Tab] and you can order them to stay put by changing between the characters and handling the conversation on both sides. If they're recruited after your adventure begins, you can't talk to them, equip them, or generally control them in any manner. This is probably due to the [NOTHOUGHT] tag in all Undead-making interactions, which (according to the creature tokens page on the wiki) has the side effect of preventing speech.

TL;DR: Infected ghouls are worldgen only unless one bites you (letting you make more by the same method), and minions are only controllable if they came with you from chargen.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2020, 08:14:27 am »

I think infected ghouls are [EXPERIMENT_ONLY], so they can only be created 'directly' in worldgen. If one of them bites you, on the other hand...

As for controlling your minions, from my current experience, the answer would be... sort of.

To wit, 'regular' zombies created by animate corpse are completely uncontrollable and will automatically attack anything living. Intelligent undead are slightly more complicated. If you recruited them at the start of your adventure, they'll be directly controllable by [Tab] and you can order them to stay put by changing between the characters and handling the conversation on both sides. If they're recruited after your adventure begins, you can't talk to them, equip them, or generally control them in any manner. This is probably due to the [NOTHOUGHT] tag in all Undead-making interactions, which (according to the creature tokens page on the wiki) has the side effect of preventing speech.

TL;DR: Infected ghouls are worldgen only unless one bites you (letting you make more by the same method), and minions are only controllable if they came with you from chargen.

to clear things up about the 'recruiting at the start' bit of this quote you can control multiple adventurers in a group now and resurrect them doing so gives you control back to them as if they didn't already died. this also means if you had any adventurers who died in the past you can resurrect them and they will become playable when you're done with your current adventure mode session. that is if they were fit for resurrection.
otherwise necromancy is a bit weird with every necromancer will start training up their scheming skills and building a web of bribe and convincing others to let them settle into place and hoping they don't get kick out and this will happen with your adventurers. so far on my end they are good whitemages.... and yeah the experiment only secret of creating ghouls is technically a line of sight instant spell if you dfhack toggle off the only experiment option on the secret which makes necromancers who have this be able to turn everyone they can see in the area into a ghoul... which gets worst when they start having extravision as that hitting everyone through the soil.

also the resurrection bit does set up for some fun side effects that lets you play as the npcs if you set up a sacrificial adventurer to kick start the quantum leap process and the adv group stuff means you could tab over to said previous adventurer and return to normal.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes