Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: More history of items  (Read 2684 times)

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More history of items
« on: November 06, 2020, 01:39:07 am »

When I get goblin mercenary who wear something like dwarven nail ring or elf tooth crown, I want read more. If notable (named) creature was turn into trophy, this trophy may have name in description.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More history of items
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 03:29:15 am »

When I get goblin mercenary who wear something like dwarven nail ring or elf tooth crown, I want read more. If notable (named) creature was turn into trophy, this trophy may have name in description.
In Legends mode sure. Not in Fortress. How would you know?

I mean, sure, you might ask how you would know that a Legendary slab has been used to kill 1000 elves. Meh, not everything has to be consistent...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 04:54:42 am »

This is similar to the <name> skeleton problem.
What is this?
It's a skeleton.
Yeah but of what?
It's a skeleton.

A bit more detail, cause of death, and accessible history would be great. I'm satisfied if it ends up in Legends, but would like it to be visible in Fort/Adventure

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 06:07:59 am »

Maybe not your character, but it reminds me about the scene in the Hobbit (I think?) where the elf identifies the weapons they found. Information could be found in old books or people that lived during that time can remember it.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 11:48:43 am »

The amount of information could depend on your scholar's skills or if you had had contact with the area the item comes from.

So if you have a goblin neclase it just says goblin bone neclace, but if you then get a visitor from where ever the item is from the information changes to neclace mady ouf of the bones of the goblin named McGoblin who was murdered by O'Goblin.

I'd like if you could create a job for the scholars to research the history of the item.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 11:52:07 am »

I mean, sure, you might ask how you would know that a Legendary slab has been used to kill 1000 elves. Meh, not everything has to be consistent...
In fortress mode I embarked on lair of named troll. She get some more names before I captured her. Then one DFhack mod help me to enslave her (she was a jewel of my zoo for entire month before her will was broken). I shear her fur, white due to her age. Piles of her fur WAS NAMED PROPERLY! But thread, cloth and robe was just 'troll fur'.

Also, artifacts. When dwarf make artifact from dwarf, description may contain name of victim.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2020, 01:04:22 am »

I don't really see the difference, if one makes sense then the other does too. Everything doesn't have to be consistent but that doesn't mean that inconsistency is in some way better.

Seems like a good suggestion to me, it should at least be in Legends for the item and creature.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2020, 01:15:03 am »

I don't really see the difference, if one makes sense then the other does too. Everything doesn't have to be consistent but that doesn't mean that inconsistency is in some way better.

Seems like a good suggestion to me, it should at least be in Legends for the item and creature.
Neither make sense. I was saying just because one is already in the game giving you knowledge of things you or your dwarves couldn't possibly know, doesn't mean we should add more just to be consistent.

For Legends mode, sure. The more info the better.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2020, 01:48:16 pm »

And does it matter if you dwarves couldn't know the history of kills on a sword? Is that at all to do with the dwarves or is this the developer giving the player information he thinks they would like to know? Does it in some way hurt the game to have more information available to the player than is available to the dwarves?

There are lots of things in the game now the dwarves couldn't know, but the player can, I don't see that as an issue.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 04:35:00 am »

I was saying just because one is already in the game giving you knowledge of things you or your dwarves couldn't possibly know, doesn't mean we should add more just to be consistent.
Agreed. It's plain silly that I can look at some random smear of blood, and instantly know which dwarf it came out of. If some item is an artifact or similarly well-known, it should be possible for a well-informed individual to be able to recognize it on sight, but otherwise knowledge of the item should be concealed from the player/dwarf until/unless someone more knowledgeable (presumably the one who had the item first) conveys that knowledge.

Similarly, discovered skeletons & other corpses should be identified by race, nothing more--unless they happen to have obvious defining characteristics like buck teeth or an unusual belt buckle or whatnot, or can be positively identified by an acquaintance. I'd like to see the "horrified at seeing a dead body" mechanic reworked so that it's to the fort's collective psychological benefit to bring friends/family members out to identify the dead before they decay beyond recognition.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

betaking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 08:35:53 am »

I was saying just because one is already in the game giving you knowledge of things you or your dwarves couldn't possibly know, doesn't mean we should add more just to be consistent.
Agreed. It's plain silly that I can look at some random smear of blood, and instantly know which dwarf it came out of. If some item is an artifact or similarly well-known, it should be possible for a well-informed individual to be able to recognize it on sight, but otherwise knowledge of the item should be concealed from the player/dwarf until/unless someone more knowledgeable (presumably the one who had the item first) conveys that knowledge.

Similarly, discovered skeletons & other corpses should be identified by race, nothing more--unless they happen to have obvious defining characteristics like buck teeth or an unusual belt buckle or whatnot, or can be positively identified by an acquaintance. I'd like to see the "horrified at seeing a dead body" mechanic reworked so that it's to the fort's collective psychological benefit to bring friends/family members out to identify the dead before they decay beyond recognition.

at the very least it might spark some kind of weird/amusing "stupid dwarf trick" to create a pipeline of craftdwarf-oriented smiths to pump out a fortress wide set of dogtags.

speaking of which we need to be able to have word/name engravings on things.. even if that might lead to "Urist Wuz Here" decorating the floors and walls of a room

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 09:20:32 am »

I mean that wouldnt be much worse than what dwarves already do. In a save file tucked away somewhere the mountain home is almost entirely covered in engravings of the same random ass goblin traveling. Seems like the first image your fort ever produces often turns into the ONLY one you ever see, probably because it's constantly getting refreshed in their memories and taught to new dwarves since they keep seeing it all over the place.
This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 06:05:02 pm »

In order to preserve performance, only artifacts or objects used in a notable manner (such as a sword used to kill a historical figure) should be accounted for.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Lidku

• Bay Watcher
  • Enclave here, why isn't your video feed working?
    • View Profile
    • [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ylvdlc5.jpg[/IMG]
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 10:06:22 pm »

Quote from: SixOfSpades
but otherwise knowledge of the item should be concealed from the player

I thought whole point of Fort Mode is that your basically some sort of omnipotent presence? Why should the player be excluded from having more information? This is what Fort Mode is for to add to the branching story of the game, every little detail is made to give interesting tidbits for the player to catch. Its a story generator. The only time knowledge should be concealed at greater lengths in my opinion is Adventure Mode, where your specifically playing as character rather than some mysterious force. Depending on what info your character has or analytical skill, more things would be referenced to you; kinda how certain aspects of Adv. mode are (tracking, smelling odors, learning parts of the map from asking questions in settlements, etc).

So I agree with OP that Fort and Legends mode should have more bits information to peruse on.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 10:58:49 pm »

Quote from: SixOfSpades
but otherwise knowledge of the item should be concealed from the player

I thought whole point of Fort Mode is that your basically some sort of omnipotent presence? Why should the player be excluded from having more information? This is what Fort Mode is for to add to the branching story of the game, every little detail is made to give interesting tidbits for the player to catch. Its a story generator. The only time knowledge should be concealed at greater lengths in my opinion is Adventure Mode, where your specifically playing as character rather than some mysterious force. Depending on what info your character has or analytical skill, more things would be referenced to you; kinda how certain aspects of Adv. mode are (tracking, smelling odors, learning parts of the map from asking questions in settlements, etc).

So I agree with OP that Fort and Legends mode should have more bits information to peruse on.
That's now. And even then, while very, very loose, you're more like the "top noble" or perhaps "collected wisdom of the government" rather than completely omnipotent. That's why dwarves go missing and vampires roam your halls. When the embark scenarios arc comes your role will possibly be even more defined. Part of Villains stretch goals are to have dwarves unhappy with your leadership begin to rebel against you.

So, no, knowing who's fingernails the secret vampire plucked to make his fancy earrings is not necessary in Fortress Mode.

Being able to investigate and eventually find out this information is, yes of course, a great thing that one day we'll be able to do naturally through playing the various modes. But not just thrown at you as part of the item description.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 11:03:37 pm by Shonai_Dweller »
Pages: [1] 2