Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hoppercloudy - A Fall From Grace human fortress  (Read 3919 times)

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Hoppercloudy - A Fall From Grace human fortress
« on: November 02, 2020, 10:26:24 pm »

Thousands of years ago, two empires ruled the world.
In the west, the Roaming Empire crushed all its oppossition underfoot, figuratively with its legions, and literally under their seven Walking Cities.
In the east, the First Civilization, with its golems and ancient magic, ruled since the gods (or, according to them, God) created the world.
The two empires engaged in an endless war that drained both empires. However, after the crucifiction of the prophet that would become the Corpse God, both empires began to collapse. Roam's hedonism and the First Civilization's stagnancy made them weak, and they fell to both foreign invaders and internal revolts.
The remnants of the First Civilization were scattered to the winds, its descendants becoming the furtive Diaspora Kingdoms.
Roam was not as lucky. As their Walking Cities died or were lost, the survivors were hunted down by their former slaves and Corpse God worshippers. The few that survivors gathered in dark fortresses, bound to enslaved demons, and gave their souls to the Sinful God, turning into the degenerate Satyrs.

Denturies after the fall of both empires, smaller kingdoms and nations rose and explored the world. Conquering new continents and developing technology that was once thought of as impossible. Of course, there were problems. In the south, the prophet of the Fire God roused its followers in Holy War against the infidels, in the west, a terrible plague ravaged the great cities, and in the north, the last pagans gave their souls to the uncaring Green God in order to escape persecution, turning into monsters. But other than that, it was a golden age.

Then, the Sea Gods awoke, and the waters rose.

Gods older than man, older than land, older than maybe the other Great Gods, waiting in hateful slumber for a thousand thousand years to regain their rightful place as lords of creation, only to find a bunch of upstart apes claiming mastery over the world.

And they were not amused.

Waters rose, continents sank or crashed into eachother, the survivors fled inland, only to face an invasion by the Sea Gods' denizens and half-bred Sea Children. Further inland, monsters from legend rose again from the mists of legends. Vicious werewolves, hulking trolls, capricious sidhe, furtive vampires, and indescribable horrors from the Outer Dark.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What followed was 100 years of darkness.

Once the waters settled and the scattered remains of man rose back from the rubble, they began to rebuild. New wars were waged, new towns were built, and new kingdoms were formed.
The Emerald Empire was one of them.
Born from a mix of small kingdoms, barbarian tribes and Anglish refugees, fleeing their sinking island, the Emerald Empire formed its own culture after 300 of consolidation. Despite their name, however, they never managed to attain a considerable size, due to their neighbors.

The Emerald Empire, unfortunate nation, existed in the shadow of a Satyr Dark Fortress. Destruction was avoided by paying regular tribute. while dealing with constant raids by the Sea Children and other monsters. By the year 302 after the Deluge, the Emerald Empire itself has barely over 700 inhabitants, while the terrible Satyr metropoli has 10000 souls within it.
With those odds, any attempt at independence would be pointless, or so the Satyrs thought. In the alleys and backrooms of the Emerald Empire, plans were hatched for an outpost to outflank the Satyrs and, in time, perhaps destroy them once and for all.

That outpost is where our story leads us...

Journal of Ferbsed Livingden, Expedition Leader
"North and West until you see the mountains", they said. "You won't run into trouble", they said. "Trolls mostly eat berries and small mammals", they said. Well from the two dozen settlers sent here, only seven are left, I'll take a wild guess and assume the organizers of this fiasco did not know what they were talking about. But we can't turn back empty-handed, and at least we reached the spot. Silly name, it has. "Hoppercloudy", oh well, not a very imposing name, but that just means it will not raise much suspicion from our hairy friends down south.

So, stick to the plan. We are to build a viable outpost, establish contact with any scattered group of humans we might find roaming the woods, bring them in, put lead into any goat-legged bastard that comes near.

Would sound easy if there weren't just seven of us.

Speaking of which, let's take stock of who I have to work with.

Well, not a bad bunch, at least. We have no time to waste now. I ordered Kassed to dig some pits while the woodcutters clearcut a portion of the forest, we'll set up a small wooden hall, some storage areas and then think of fortifications. At the very least, this area seems to be remarkably peaceful. At the very least the government picked a good location for the outpo-

...this is going to be a long year.

Spoiler: what is this (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 06:07:07 pm by mate888 »
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Hoppercloudy - A Fall From Grace human fortress
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 11:09:10 pm »

Interested to read more - haven't played this mod but am already impressed by preferences such as "landships".

I'd like to get dorfed humaned as any potential soldier in the next wave as: Merman. 

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 07:01:24 am »

Looks interesting, I'll take a human when more arrive as well.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 04:09:51 pm »

It’s good to see you again Mate, I’m loving this story so far. If possible, I’d like to request a human.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 04:46:13 pm »

Great to see you back!

I'll take a human (any) when one arrives that you can spare.

Tip on screenshots - I see you're using windows 10.
If you want to capture the window you have marked you can use alt+print screen.
OR better yet there is a tool built in called "snipping tool" or it's replacement called snip & sketch, the latter can be accessed by pressing win+shift+s.

These tools let you mark an area to make into a picture, then you can edit or just save directly from the tool. They may have localized names if you're using a non-English version of windows.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 04:59:17 pm »

Welcome back! Could you post a link to the Fall from Grace mod you are using?

'Human' me as some kind of priest or religious figure - assuming you have plans to build a temple. Make sure I worship a cool god.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 06:45:47 pm »

Yes! Human me as Weitz the mason. I really like how he looks.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 10:11:50 pm »

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I just got off playing right now and I'm in the process of drawing stuff and writing. I added a link to the mod under the "what is" this spoiler in the first post and I human'd everyone as requested (except salemuk since the last unnamed migrant was a 6 year old girl and that wasnt very priestly, so I'll wait for another migrant wave for that)
It's kinda late right now so maybe the next proper post will not happen till tomorrow, but it will be soon!
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 09:07:35 pm »

Journal of Ferbsed Livingden, Expedition Leader for the Emerald Empire, year 302 After the Deluge
So, good news, the horrible snow rain only extends up to the slopes of the mountains starting to the southeast, so we won't have to worry about our crops much. Either way, our fishers are getting enough for the seven of us so far. Well, let's take stock of what else we brought along.
Alright... Two dogs, two cats, a walking mushroom and a small landship to tow the wagon. Standard affair, seeing how the cheap bastards back in the capital decided to give us a wagon and an obsolete military machine to tow our stuff instead of, say, a bigger landship.
Either way, that cannon might come in handy in a pinch, and the mushroom is intimidating enough to keep most animals away. Never liked the thing to be honest. Or mushrooms in general. I don't know why, but I think they are up to something.

Well, no more stalling, time to make this place look more like a settlement. Let's get to work.
Man, the life of an overseer is so exhausting...
Well, with the preparations underway, we might have the residences might be ready by the time the first settlers arri-

Some people were sighted in the horizon. Not foreigners, Emeralders. They seem to be from the original settler wave, before it got scattered on the way here. They bring with them a small airship and are led by a man named Merman. Alongside them there's a family, a man named Zultan, a woman named Imic and their two children, Applet and somei other kid.
Yes, welcome, so far we have two pits and a half-constructed wall, get to work.

After some days of working, we managed to finally eke out a decent meeting hall, we decided to classify it as an inn, perhaps that will help attract attention of people close to the cause.

Imic's kid doesn't seem too impressed with these developements, she's rather mean for a seven-year-old...

Well, at least we have our meeting quarters set up, and we have started working on individual living quarters. Some quarries were made in the southeastern mountains as to get more stone, but I feel recluctant to dig deeper. We aren't the dwarves of ancient fairy tales, we need sunlight and fresh air to live. And who knows what might be lurking down there...
In the meantime, I commanded the building of a farm near the brook. Not too big, despite the nearby brook the soil here seems awfully dry. We'll have to do something about the irrigation...

Ah! Visitors! An Emeralder bard and two foreign soldiers, probably southerners. They are lead by a man named-

...Come again? Foreigners have strange names, dont they?
In other news, our farm project has ended in catastrophic faliure! If anybody asks, its just a natural lake. I will have to find more efficient ways of irrigating the soil...

Well, we'll just keep it as a small extra reservoir of water, I guess. It's not like it will cause anyone any trouble-

How. Why. It's a 15 meter long pit full of water. How did you just stumble into it? Somebody get him out of there.

Well, our soggy friend made it out of the former farm safely and reunited with the other visitors. Such a strange bunch.
While our guests made themselves at home, we finally established a farm that wasnt a complete distaster, built a trade depot and started production on silly rock trinkets like those the people back at the homeland love to spend money on. Should be better than nothing when the merchants arrive.

Then the game crashed. Thankfully I had saved the progress up to what I wrote. Sadly, I had played for a long while after that and now that's all lost. On the plus side at least 1/3rd of that was people dying of thirst so maybe it wasnt such a bad thing.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2020, 09:49:01 pm »

Imic’s bio is interesting. She seems to be blunt, precise, stubborn, confident, and straight-forward, with a side of not giving a shit, though she does seem to be good with people. She does tend to tire quickly, but then she doesn’t strike me as the kind of person to let a little thing like “exhaustion” or “wellbeing” get in the way of getting things done. She felt tenderness talking with her children and spouse , so she’s definitely not heartless too. She doesn’t necessarily know how the world works, in fact it may be the opposite, but she really, really doesn’t care, she’s going to do her thing anyway, and she’ll go straight through her problems if she needs to. Ah, there’s nothing quite like a nice character analysis before you hit the hay.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2020, 11:11:53 pm »

Imic’s bio is interesting. She seems to be blunt, precise, stubborn, confident, and straight-forward, with a side of not giving a shit, though she does seem to be good with people. She does tend to tire quickly, but then she doesn’t strike me as the kind of person to let a little thing like “exhaustion” or “wellbeing” get in the way of getting things done. She felt tenderness talking with her children and spouse , so she’s definitely not heartless too. She doesn’t necessarily know how the world works, in fact it may be the opposite, but she really, really doesn’t care, she’s going to do her thing anyway, and she’ll go straight through her problems if she needs to. Ah, there’s nothing quite like a nice character analysis before you hit the hay.
Also do note that although in her bio says she's romantically involved with another guy in her bio, in her relationships tab he's listed as her former husband, not a current lover, so no love triangles yet.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2020, 06:55:50 am »

Also do note that although in her bio says she's romantically involved with another guy in her bio, in her relationships tab he's listed as her former husband, not a current lover, so no love triangles yet.
Maybe next time.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2020, 08:17:31 am »

Looks like my guy could go into the military when we get one started.

This guy's parents must not have liked him.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2020, 09:14:01 pm »

Journal of Ferbsed Livingden, expedition leader of Hoppercloudy
The merchants arrive! Too early in my opinion. The wagons left as our depot was still half-built, but their pack animals and vehicles were able to get in. Sadly however, we didn't have enough to trade with them, so we ended up exchanging trinkets for rope.

The liaison met me at the inn, we discussed trade stuff, rather boring but nobody else here had the required skillset to be the impromptu broker.
He gave me a list of what goods they would be buying next year, since we clearly hadn't produced much of anything this one.

He also gave me... Other news.

"Ferbsted. Do you remember what the queen told you, before you were assigned on this expedition?"
"You will have to be more specific than that."
"She said it would be the first of many expeditions to claim uncharted lands. A few months after you left, another group was sent to reclaim a long-abandoned coastal city."
"And? How are they doing?"
"Only one man survived."
"...oh."
"The nobility pushed the queen to stop all colonization efforts since that. They did not want another peasant revolt."
"You are talking to me as if I wasn't one of those peasants they are so afraid of."
"You would be if you were back at the capital, Fer, but you aren't. You are a settler. The settler. Back home, many sectors of the court are still more loyal to the Satrs that to the crown, and are ready to give in as soon as the crown completely gives up on its expansion efforts. This is why this colony is so important, even if the merchants I came with will try to con you."
"Typical of merchants, regardless of the situation."
"Indeed, but I digress. Ferbsted. The success of this colony is what may sway the public back home either to the queen's side or to the side of the traitors at court. That means two things: that any success here will have to be communicated to the homeland in order to garner support, and that every mistake will have to be covered up."
"Covered up?"
"The court needs any excuse to suspend this short-lived attempt at acting without the Tower's permisison. They will use any report of trouble at the colonies as an excuse to do it. That means, mess up once, and fail to keep word from spreading back home, and you are alone."
"This is a lot to think about."
"Then think about it, but if you in any way care for your country, you will follow my advice. Also, a new migrant wave is going to arrive here in a few days, they were following our caravan. Be sure to keep them alive."

So, this is the situation now. I would ponder on the implications of my actions as leader of this backwater may lead to a coup led by snobs loyal to a bunch of devil-worshipping monsters, but I don't want to go insane, so lets instead focus on the task at hand: running this colony.
First of all: drinks. I don't know if the winters here are cold enough to freeze the brook and lakes, but I will not risk it catching us completely dry.

Secondly: stone. In case of an attack, fortifications sturdier than wood would definitely help us. I told Kassed to dig down until-
Oh boy. Well this just gives us a lot more variables to worry about.

Yeah thanks for nothing. Now if the liaison was telling the truth any time now...

There we go. A rather large wave of migrants, led by a couple interesting characters. One of them is a very very old miner. One hundred years old and still in the profession. I gotta commend his dedication.
The other is a farmer named Salemuk. A very religious man, he worships more saints and deities than anyone I've met. Some of those deities I never even heard of. Unsuprisingly he started talking of building a temple immediately upon arrival. He's probably right, however. With the situation as is, we need all the help we can get, and the Corpse God is not a cruel god.
In the meantime, we have a bigger problem.

So, turns out the brook does feeze in winter. Fantastic. The miners however report the underground temperatures remain constant, so the lakes down in the caverns are still liquid. We will have to capitalize on that.

And with that, our little well area is secured. We'll just need someone to actually go there and build the thing.
I am also not very comfortable with having an undefended cavern entrance. Some of the critters I see from there are not easy on the eyes.

...And so, with this solemn act called "I absolutely detest lampreys", I hereby declare the foundation of our colonial militia, led by conscript leader Merman, staffed by Zultan, Weitz, and three other newcomers. Try not to die.

Well, in the time it took for the squad to be formed, the lamprey ended up going away. And people are just worrylessly going down to the cavern floor to cup their hands and drink some water, instead of taking the time of building the well, then complaining about drinking water without a bucket. Yes, I'm talking to you Weitz!
Either way, the colony right now seems pretty peaceful. I think we'll make it through the winter without any incide-
OH GOD WHAT IS THAT

HOW DID IT MAKE IT TO THE SURFACE KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT AAAAAAAA

Okay, alright, breathe. The troops are chasing the spider. It doesn't seem to be fighting back, it just shoots web out of its ass every time a soldier gets to close, freaking the fuck out of that soldier.

Yeah, I feel you, but you can't just let the monster go!

...So, after forty minutes to an hour of our valiant troops chasing the monstrosity around, commander Merman came to the conclusion that it was more scared of us than us of it, and that I should let him decide what critters are a threat to the colony as opposed to those that are just ugly or scary to some people. I didn't like how he said those two last words.
Well, at least I can be confident that we wont having any more scares like this in the near futu-

ohshitwhatthefuckarethosefuckingWOLFMEN! LOCK THE DOORS, GET ARMED!
They are approaching the colony, crossing the brook and calling out to us to...
...Trade?

...Huh.
I will be honest now, I had never seen a wolfman before in my life. We all knew they existed. Ancient pagans that made a deal with the Green God, turning them into violent, unthinking monsters. Other than those tales, we didn't know much about them apart from nursery tales. "Go to sleep at bedtime or the wolfman will eat you" "eat your greens or the Green God will turn you into a wolfman", that kind of thing.
Those guys seem pretty reasonable, though. They might be hard on the eyes and of rough speech, but they are certainly more helpful with trade than the merchants from the homeland, that's for sure. Some metal bars here and there, food clothing... The wolfmen said they heard about this settlement from a group of foreigners that had visited our inn some months back. After they were done laughing at their leader's name, they decided to pay us a visit. As they told us, an enemy of the Satyrs is a friend of theirs, even if our gods are enemies.
Well what do ya know, not only did we not get killed by monsters, but we made friends with them. What's that for good press, liaison?

After the merchants left, we went on an expansion project, a stone structure that will be used as a temple for our zealot friend Salemuk, and some dormitories above the kitchen to house new migrants and visitors until we can properly house all of them. I didn't think I'd say this, but it seems like things are shaping up. Now we have to wait and see how long this peace lasts...
Pages: [1] 2