Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19

Author Topic: SPAMISEKAI: Count Quill of Tyneset!  (Read 10433 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMISEKAI: Count Quill of Tyneset!
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2020, 10:18:52 am »

A
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2020, 02:35:29 pm »

You ask more about the dwarf-hold of Belvik-hund. As you guessed, the dwarf-hold is entirely underground, with the small outpost on top meant for human merchants and visitors like yourself. They mine tin, iron and some copper ores, refining it and selling the metal to passing merchants, most of which are headed for south to Merclefield. While dwarves are also skilled at metalwork, there isn't much of a market for dwarven arms and armor in the area - another dwarven hold of Slesvin-trund to the north is responsible for much of the weapons trade, being closer to the capital. The dwarf-hold is also limited by a perennial shortage of labor - Throvis mentions that although there are several veins yet to be tapped, the rate of output is simply limited by the lack of able-bodied dwarves.

You also ask Throvis about his family and court. Apparently, he is quite young for a dwarf, being only forty-four years old and having only wed three years ago, with no children yet. His heir presumptive is his brother, Throvin. The makeup of his court is also notable, with him being advised by another of those mysterious Advisors, a Treasurer, Scribe-master and an Armsdwarf. Perhaps the most interesting thing is that he also mentions a visiting Runesmith, who is here for a month to visit some of his family.

What will you do? (You only have time for one action before you have to leave)

A) Ask to tour the actual dwarf-hold of Belvik-hund underground
B) Ask to speak to the visiting Runesmith
C) Finish the meeting and head back home

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2020, 03:05:37 pm »

C we have another baron to calm down and a wedding to attend.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2020, 03:31:58 pm »

B, perhaps a ring for the bride with some protective magic?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2020, 03:51:53 pm »

B, we could commission something, and also any opportunity to learn more about magic is one we should take (if it's not too dangerous, of course).

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2020, 09:10:12 pm »

B

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2020, 10:24:49 pm »

C

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2020, 10:29:07 pm »

A would be useful. Learning more about how they live would help when we start our corporate adventures, and make it easier to avoid offending them when we import our economic supremacy.

B is magic. Investigate the magic.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 07, 2020, 02:14:19 am »

TURNTURNTURN
You speak to the visiting Runesmith, who agrees to meet you. He's an old, wizened and grey-bearded dwarf by the name of Frain. He also shows you an example of rune-work - a pair of vambraces that have protective runes to protect their wearer from fire and burns. Supposedly, these were made by his grandfather and worn by some dragon-slaying dwarf long ago. The entire surface of the metal is inscribed with angular lines that are just barely distinguishable as some form of runic script. As a test, you put on one of the vambraces and wave your hand through the flames of a torch on the wall: instead of burning, all you feel is a mild tickling. It's definitely magic.

You ask your first, and most important question: how do runes work? What gives them their power? "It is the knowledge and intent of the rune-smith that endows runes with power beyond ordinary writing. With patience and a steady hand, you could carve a copy of these runes into your armor. But no matter how precise you make the copy," he says, "it won't have any effect if you don't know what the runes mean, or don't focus on the proper effect that you want to bestow upon the item. As for what gives runes their power, isn't that a question one can ask of all magic? Wiser dwarves than me have spent centuries pondering upon it, and are no closer to an answer."

Is it possible for you to learn this power, and how long would it take? He chuckles, "It took me years of studying under my father to carve my first runes that worked, and decades more to get to where I am today, and I'm still learning new things. But in principle, yes, there is no reason why a human couldn't learn the art of rune-smithing. It is not an art that relies upon some innate magical skill of the user, unlike some elven and human sorceries."

On that note, how does dwarven rune-smithing compare to other forms of magic? Frain leans forward, his expression serious. "Humans and elves are also skilled in the art of Enchantment, which to most seems like the same thing: the empowering of some mundane object with magical power. But I assure you, it is not the same. There are some persistent rumors going around - probably started by those enchanters - that dwarven runes rely upon 'ley lines' for power, and are thus of varying efficacy in different places, or even degrade over time and become non-magical. That is a complete lie, the reverse is true. Dwarven runes are as permanent as stone and sky: these runes were carved nearly four hundred years ago, and are no weaker than the day they were carved. In contrast, it is enchantments that rely upon some external source of magic to sustain the effect, and degrade in their absence."

You talk a while more about rune-smithing, gaining some superficial knowledge about the tradition and its place in dwarven society, if not about the runes themselves. He seems to enjoy the talk, perhaps relishing the opportunity to boast about the art to a human outsider. You manage to charm him enough that he agrees to stop by Tyneset after his visit here is done, should you wish to commission an item or even learn the art of rune-smithing.

A few days later, you're back in Tyneset and preparations are in full swing for the upcoming wedding in two days. Some of your council isn't that happy though.

Your Advisor objects to the entire wedding. "Look, I haven't heard of her or any skills that Baron Axel might have claimed. But it's not wise to marry the cousin of a vassal - she doesn't bring anything to the table. Baron Axel is already sworn to you, so this match doesn't get you any new allies or lands." The Spymaster chimes in, "And she's not in line to inherit any holdings, either!" The Advisor also adds, "It could cause some future resentment among your other vassals, if they perceive that you favor Baron Axel over them simply because you're married to his cousin." Both of them advise against this match.

A) Continue with the wedding
B) Find some excuse to put it off or delay it
C) Cancel the wedding outright

Meanwhile, the Steward wants to know how lavish the wedding should be. Generally the standard is a feast for both families, with all your vassals invited and a day of celebration for your peoples. You could throw a more lavish wedding, possibly increasing your prestige at the cost of more gold, or you could do the opposite and make it a more subdued affair to save coin for other ventures.

A) Have a lavish wedding: all the lords you know of invited, and three days of celebration for the peasantry
B) Plan a normal wedding: only your vassals and liege lord invited, and one day of celebration
C) Opt for a cheap wedding: only Baron Axel and his family invited, and no time off for the peasantry

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2020, 02:19:28 am »

AB

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 07, 2020, 03:12:23 am »

BB. We were kinda pressured into the whole affair, I feel.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 07, 2020, 05:47:47 am »

BB, we will try to have someone talk the baron out of it later
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2020, 08:25:46 am »

A B

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2020, 09:16:41 am »

AB, I don't really trust the advisor. Marrying up confers responsibilities to that house. This also applies to them since we are the higher of the two.

A wedding will also bring happiness that may offset later changes to the peasant's lives.

As for slighting, they are the larger house.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 07, 2020, 12:59:19 pm »

AB
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19