Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19

Author Topic: SPAMISEKAI: Count Quill of Tyneset!  (Read 10402 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMISEKAI: Count Quill of Tyneset!
« Reply #255 on: November 26, 2020, 12:59:22 pm »

I do not want to risk the tax money now, even if it's very unlikely to be a problem
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 26, 2020, 01:09:09 pm »

Fair enough.
D, then, and we can notify people when we get an opportunity.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 26, 2020, 04:14:02 pm »

I mean these are the Duke's peasants.  His responsibility.  In fact us intervening would be a violation of his rights maybe?

D

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 26, 2020, 05:56:51 pm »

If the Duke is mostly homebound, he might not mind but his ambitious son surely will.

D

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 27, 2020, 02:07:57 am »

D
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 27, 2020, 08:18:16 am »

TURNTURNTURN
Better not risk the tax gold, you think, and order the caravan to press on.

A few days later, you arrive in Wolstead. It's a very large town, with sections both north and south of the Raisne, and a small section on the third bank, east of the Goych, all joined by bridges of wood and stone. The castle is located on a small island in the Raisne, with the river itself forming a natural moat. As you ride through the town, you note with some jealousy that the inhabitants seem to be a little richer on average than those of Tyneton.

After exchanging the customary bread and salt, you're granted an audience with Duke Wolstan. You decide to start off with the good news first, and explain that you're here with the 8 gold taxes, on time. "Very good, very good! I knew you could do it, my boy. Don't quite see the need for this new tax system of yours, of course, but I suppose it worked well enough..." He continues for a while, until you get in a word in edgewise and ask him about Lamon, and any rumours he's been spreading.

"Lamon? Brother of your former baron? Yes, he was here some time ago. Told a pretty tall tale about you revoking his brother's title for no good reason, not that I believed it for an instant." You (tactfully) point out that he did "remind" you not to revoke vassal titles in his recent letter.

He shrugs. "Well, that was just in case you did do it. Just a friendly reminder, really. Absolutely nothing to worry about, my boy. As for Lamon, he's gone now, not sure where to." You're not sure whether to take him at his word, but he doesn't seem visibly angry about the whole Merclefield situation.

At his side, you see his heir Wynden make a cutting gesture with his hands. Looks like he wants you to end the conversation? You might still want to talk to Wolstan about other things, though

A) Persuade Duke Wolstan to make use of your new Tax Bureau
B) Tell Duke Wolstan of your economic successes and ask for some gold to invest
C) Ask Duke Wolstan to lower your taxes for next time?
D) End the conversation, talk to Wynden
E) End the conversation and leave

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 27, 2020, 08:42:26 am »

Can't we just talk about how successful are tax reforms gonna be? without try to convince him to join them? anyway, D? not sure.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 27, 2020, 08:45:36 am »

D
I see little gain in continuing to talk and maybe even some risk of provoking Duke Wolstan's temper for pushing too hard.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 27, 2020, 11:17:58 am »

How about we inform him of the bandits we were made aware of? That seems like something he should be told of.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 27, 2020, 01:06:30 pm »

TURNTURNTURN
You end the conversation as politely as you can. Wynden signals for you to follow, and slips out a side door. He leads you to his study, and you sit down to talk.

"Look, I know you probably had good reason for the whole Baron Reece conflict," he starts. Well, that's a relief to hear. "Unfortunately, my father is ... not the wisest ruler. When Lamon was here, he weaved a pretty convincing story about you scheming to find evidence of tax fraud to depose his brother. My father believed it entirely, and it was only when I intervened and pointed out that he had no evidence except his word, that he agreed to dismiss Lamon's claims."

"I will be honest with you. My father can be mercurial, always listening to the person who spoke to him last. I have tried to curb his worst excesses, but oftentimes I am simply too busy to deal with every issue. Luckily, he never seems to go beyond harsh words, as was the case with Count Vray before you. You have my word, though, that nothing will come of this little episode." Well, that's a relief.

Remembering the tales you heard on the journey, you tell Wynden about the bandit lair. "I'll send some men to deal with that," he says, making a note on the map. "Thanks for the information, though."

"You seem like the sort of man with ambition," he remarks. "Would you like to hear an interesting proposition? One that requires the highest standards of discretion, of course."

A) Yes, let me in on this totally secret plot you're hinting at
B) No, don't get involved with shady business

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 27, 2020, 01:15:50 pm »

B

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 27, 2020, 01:40:30 pm »

...I say A, but making it clear that we'll reserve judgement on whether or not to actually participate until after we've heard it. We promise not to tell others, though.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 27, 2020, 04:39:40 pm »

A mbition, you say?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 28, 2020, 02:36:24 am »

A
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 28, 2020, 04:39:22 am »

TURNTURNTURN
Sure, you say, let me in on this totally secret plot you're hinting at! Wynden looks a little discomfited by your casualness, but begins to explain nonetheless. "You know how the royal family's like?" Blank stare on your part. He sighs, "King Cailean's only heir is a woman, and Princess Caila takes on many of the worse traits of her father. She's afraid of confrontation and quick to cave in any negotiation. Did you know that she was the one who made those awful concessions to Niederstadt? Can you imagine her, vested with royal authority and treating with fellow kingdoms in her own right? And she's corrupt too! The Royal Treasurer, the Masters of the Mint, the Most Reverent - all men who paid her for their position, and who profit from it in turn. The thing about corruption, you see, is that it spreads. A honest man cannot make a living if he is surrounded by dishonest men who demand bribes at every turn. Very soon, the honest man is forced to take bribes for his own, to keep himself afloat - and so the numbers of the venal grow."

"Today, Solfast is over-full with these dishonourable scum. And it will continue to be so, should Princess Caila ascend to her father's throne." He leans closer. "But there is another option. The younger brother of King Cailean, Prince Caern. He is a paragon of chivalry and honour, who will sweep aside the corrupt and scour the court clean. He is well-traveled, proficient both in rulership and war, and already has three strong sons to assure the line of succession. Several other ambitious men, like yourself and I, are willing and able to see that he takes the throne. Of course, when he does, those who have supported him will be, ah, looked upon favourably. Does this sound like a venture you would be interested in?"

Well, that wasn't exactly the plot you imagined he had in mind. You'll need to consider this carefully.

A) Yes, count me in!
B) Not interested, but I swear to keep this secret
C) No, this is treason!
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19