Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19

Author Topic: SPAMISEKAI: Count Quill of Tyneset!  (Read 10435 times)

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMISEKAI: Count Quill of Tyneset!
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2020, 07:22:30 am »

TURNTURNTURN
You grip the dagger tightly, but no guards appear on the way up to the next level. Your Steward seems even worse for wear, pale and clammy and needing to be supported by the other man. "The name's Jared, milord." Another flight of stairs up leads you past a snoring gaoler, passed out at a table with a tankard of ale. You can guess what happened here.

You emerge in the lower levels of the castle. It's tempting to sneak around a little and see what information can be gained, but probably not a good idea with the Steward's condition. As you turn a corner, however, you walk straight into a guardsman. "What's the matter with him?" he asks, gesturing at the Steward who is being half-carried. "Wait - aren't you the -"

That's as far as he gets before you stab him in the throat. Jared nods approvingly. "Just a little bit further, milord." He leads you to a postern gate, and you tense as another guard looms silently out of the darkness, but Jared stays your hand. "That's my brother, Jeren." Jeren opens the gate, and the four of you slip out of the castle into the town proper. It's dark outside, and you think it's sometime past midnight.

There are a few more patrols of guards here, but luckily your group manages to evade all of them and make it to the wall. From atop the wall-walk, you can see a series of campfires encircling the entire town. Looks like the siege is well underway. There's another problem, though. "See those guards over there?" Jeren points at a group of five guards clustered further along the wall-walk. "That's where we climbed up; threw a rope around the battlements. But they might have discovered the rope, we can't go back down that way now."

You can think of several ways to approach this problem.

A) You have a dagger, Jaren has a spear. Fight them!
B) Approach them and threaten them to let you go
C) Approach them and bribe them to let you go
D) Just jump down from the wall
E) Go back and search for another rope to descend the wall with
F) Go back and hide in the town until the attack happens
G) Go back and hide in the castle until the attack happens

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2020, 07:25:57 am »

F

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2020, 08:45:05 am »

F

Also, what part of walking into a potentially hostile environment alone is a good idea?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 14, 2020, 01:31:07 pm »

F.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 14, 2020, 03:49:02 pm »

Also, what part of walking into a potentially hostile environment alone is a good idea?
I thought he would be reasonable and demand a minor concession of land. "I killed my new, former liege-lord before even talking with him because he was stupid and walked into my dungeons alone after I was sure he was trying to strip me of my titles" isn't going to ingrate himself with anyone, even if he was trying to flip loyalty to another count.

It works though, assuming we survive this. We can replace a disloyal vassal with one we can trust, without encroaching on the feudal contract. Even if we do end up looking naieve.

They'll be looking for us, but we might be able to escape after night falls.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2020, 03:34:03 am »

E
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2020, 05:49:20 am »

E
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2020, 07:47:18 am »

Apart from the increased risk of confrontation with Reece's guards with dubious results in our weakened state, I don't want to be caught climbing on a wall when the dwarves decide it's time to pull it down if they are half as thorough at destruction as they are at bookkeeping.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2020, 12:12:17 pm »

Bump for tiebreak between:
F) Go back and hide in the town until the attack happens

The time now is sometime after midnight. Your escape has not been discovered (yet). Jared has told you the attack will be happening in the morning, which is several hours away, so no danger of being pasted by giant rocks for now.

Option E is somewhat more risky now, since you'll have to search a while to find a rope. Option F is less risky because it's just to hide, but of course it's staying longer behind enemy lines, which is itself risky if your escape is discovered.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2020, 12:15:01 pm »

E Guards will shift, they will discover tonight.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 16, 2020, 12:38:12 pm »

It's still a tie as Rockeater voted previously, but a coinflip selects E.
TURNTURNTURN

You and Jared head back into the town to look for a new rope, while Jeren stays with the Steward in a little alcove by the stairs. There doesn't seem to be a handy rope shop anywhere around, but a little stroke of inspiration and you realise that the town wells must have long ropes for the buckets.

You send Jared ahead to get the rope while you hide in the shadow of a house. Just as well too, since a lone guard wanders over to the well as he's hauling up the bucket.

The two of them are talking. The guard seems to be gesturing at the empty bucket. Suddenly, Jared shoves the guard right into the well!! There's a loud splash, followed by muffled swearing as Jared hightails it. "Go!!" The two of you scramble up the wall-walk, grabbing the Steward and tossing the rope over the side. It's a struggle to get the Steward down, but you manage to do it by having him stand in the still-attached bucket and lowering it down that way. Meanwhile, the clangor from the town is increasing in volume, and you can see more guards spreading out and searching the area around the well.

It's too late for them, though, as you give them the finger and slide down the wall. It's a moderately long walk to the siege lines, but you're practically brimming with vigor at your newly cherished freedom.

After a hot meal, warm bath and a good cloak, you're definitely feeling more like a proper Count again. You've made a tour of the lines to survey the army. The great majority of them are levied peasants from Tyneton and Tronbury, given a bow or a spear (and a copper helm if they're lucky), and told which end to point at the enemy. Most of your household guards have been promoted to temporary sergeants and captains to command them. You're not versed in warcraft, but this hardly seems like a winning formula. Some parts of the army are better, though. Dumedin Throvis sent three dozen of his household guard, outfitted in solid looking dwarvish plate, and his engineers have built a dwarven stone-slinger, a menacing-looking siege engine the size of an elephant. There's also the knights, both landed and not, who form the core of your cavalry nearly a hundred strong.

The time is just before dawn, and you've assembled a makeshift war council. In attendance is Baron Axel, your Marshal, your Spymaster and various sub-commanders, notably the leader of the dwarvish contingent. You listen as Axel, the highest ranking, explains the plan with the aid of a hastily drawn map. "The dwarves will smash the walls here. Shouldn't take more than an hour." The engineer rolls his eyes. "Just before the breach is created, we send men here - " he points at the opposite side of the town, " - to scale the walls, draw the guards over there or risk being overwhelmed. Then the knights charge into the breach, going right for the castle before they know the town's fallen. A swift and decisive victory!" He puffs up with pride.

The Marshal cuts in, "Sire, that's not a good plan. Our cavalry could get cut off and trapped in the town, and our men will take heavy losses scaling the wall. We should take our time, knock down as much of the wall as possible. Then we send the footmen in to fight, keeping the knights in reserve to handle any particularly fierce resistance."

The Spymaster also adds, "Why not induce the defenders to turn their cloaks? They've been under siege for a week and know they're outnumbered, and now they've lost their trump card. Offer 2 gold and pardons for the men who bring you Baron Reece, and they'll fall over themselves to betray him."

What will you do?

A) Continue with Axel's plan: bombardment first, footmen diversion on the other side, cavalry charge to capture the castle quickly
B) Follow the Marshal's plan: long bombardment, footmen into the breach, cavalry in reserve to smash any points of resistance
C) Follow the Spymaster's plan: offer 2 gold for Baron Reece, dead or alive
C) One last try at diplomacy? This time with a VERY LARGE guard

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 16, 2020, 01:23:22 pm »

C, with B as a backup plan.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 16, 2020, 02:12:31 pm »

C, with B as a backup plan.
+1
Question: Are we voices in this character’s head i.e. Chicken Knight, or simply thoughts the character has i.e. AI in charge of an Asteroid?
Question 2: What’s with i.e? I know how it’s used but why those initials?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 02:15:00 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 16, 2020, 02:57:44 pm »

Which C?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2020, 03:00:35 pm »

Which C?
Spymaster C, there was another choice? Time to read back through, sorry
Edit: there was only one C
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19