Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19

Author Topic: SPAMISEKAI: Count Quill of Tyneset!  (Read 10439 times)

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: SPAMISEKAI: Count Quill of Tyneset!
« Reply #120 on: November 09, 2020, 09:38:15 am »

CA.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 09, 2020, 09:40:56 am »

AC who would have guessed some of our vassals would be displeased with us surveying their lands? can we do the second C but with less threatening amount of people?
Just thought, does this count as my "I told you so?", can I get another one if We end up needing a new Steward?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 09, 2020, 11:54:22 am »

I expected this culture clash with the dwarves. But we brought them on so our clerks could learn, even if not imitate.
C A

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 09, 2020, 03:07:16 pm »

TURNTURNTURN
The Steward is dispatched to Merclefield to argue the finer points of feudal law with Baron Reece. In the meantime, you devote yourself to a study of the relative differences between dwarven and human book-keeping for the next few days.

As you realised in your meeting with Throvis, dwarven book-keeping has a level of precision verging on the insane. The Tax Collector is right that that level of detail is quite unnecessary, given the current taxes levied. However, you decide to explore why that is the case, talking to the dwarves you brought into the Bureau.

The reason appears to be cultural. Dwarven society is highly obsessed with recording and cataloging, just in case the information should come in handy - in your old world, this would be called 'data-driven'. For example, a drop in the number of cats roaming the hold may indicate the presence of a gremlin or other monster lurking in the deep levels and picking them off. What separates the dwarves from modern society is that this information gathered by the state is also made available to all. Any dwarf may peruse the ledgers for any reason, and all dwarven merchants make frequent use of the census information in their business decisions, such as deciding to switch from buying cabinets to chairs. As a result, dwarf-holds achieve a remarkably high level of productive efficiency, in a nominally free-market system without centralised production planning.

For the purposes of tax collection in the outlying villages, you convince the dwarven book-keepers to limit themselves to a level of precision that is a trade-off between usefulness and surveying difficulty. However, for the town of Tyneton, you decide to allow them a re-survey of the households in the town according to dwarven standards. This leads to some grousing amongst the townsfolk, but you also announce a new Office of Statistics, open to all merchants to see the general state of the town in numbers. You have high hopes that this will lead to a boom in trade, improving tax revenues in the future.

While you're cooped up in your chambers interviewing the dwarven book-keepers, alarming news comes from the southwest. It seems that your Steward and Baron Reece had a misunderstanding, with the latter accusing you of looking to revoke his lands without due cause. Your Steward has been imprisoned along with some of his assistants, and only one of them escaped to bring the news to you. Baron Reece has not declared war yet, but rumours say that he is beginning to gather the people of Merclefield into a peasant militia. Your Marshal urges you to raise troops and march on Merclefield to put an end to this disobedience, while your Spymaster suggests that you pay some burglars to sneak into the dungeons and free your Steward.

What will you do?

A) Send a letter trying to clear up this misunderstanding
B) Send your Marshal, along with a contingent of household guard and some knights, with orders to free your Steward by force
C) Go in person, with said contingent of household guard and knights, to settle the situation as you see fit
D) Same as C, but raise some peasants into a militia as well to bolster your numbers
E) Attempt to free your Steward by trickery

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 09, 2020, 03:11:22 pm »

C.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 09, 2020, 03:44:04 pm »

Can I call it close enough?
C, and expect to lose something in those negotiation.

Edit: Do we have young, single and partly useful family member? this could save us a lot in he negotiation.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2020, 04:24:57 pm by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 09, 2020, 06:06:38 pm »

D

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 09, 2020, 06:18:56 pm »

D

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 09, 2020, 07:01:01 pm »

C.

Also, no heirs yet.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2020, 04:14:02 am »

C
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Cnidaros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2020, 12:53:32 pm »

TURNTURNTURN
You muster up a good portion of your household guard (about three dozen) and summon a few knights. It's time to ride for Merclefield and see what Baron Reece has to say to that. Your Marshal insists on accompanying you for your safety, while your wife Mircella looks on anxiously.

Merclefield is two day's ride to the southwest. It's located in rather flat and open terrain, close to the border with the neighbouring Kingdom of Marchion. The town is rather large, almost equalling the size of Tyneton and with its own set of walls, and the castle of Merclefield is located right in the middle of it.

As you ride closer, your Marshal points out archers on the town walls, along with some peasant spearmen. "Best to stay outside, my lord. Once we ride in, those gates can be closed behind us. Our knights may be skilled, but I don't like their chances in the cramped streets and with archers raining down arrows on them. We can call Reece out for an audience here, where we have the advantage."

It sounds a little paranoid to you, but he does have a point.

A) Waiting outside here could be taken as fear or cowardice, we should ride in as is our right
B) Wait outside and set up a tent, while sending in a messenger to call out Baron Reece

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2020, 12:57:29 pm »

B-we are not an idiot. Coach it as respecting his position as governor of these lands. We can lead this into having our surveyors determine the proper level of taxes to be levied by him, which will bring in more over the years.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2020, 01:17:31 pm »

Don't like it but B, we need to negotiate, but him already rasing an army means it might be too late.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 02:14:05 pm by Rockeater »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2020, 01:19:59 pm »

We brought combatants in case we're met with hostilities, not to start them ourselves. B.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2020, 02:32:56 pm »

B
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19