Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elephantitus of the dwarf  (Read 619 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elephantitus of the dwarf
« on: January 02, 2007, 12:49:00 pm »

Bomrek challenged Olin to hunt mostly out of jest.
But poor Olin took it seriously and fell on an elephant nest.
Then Zon and Astesh saw there was a lack,
of a dwarf around so they went to get his stuff back.
"Oh by my beard!" Zon cried as an elephant snapped Astesh's neck.
"Oh the surface should be cleared!" he yelled as he ran from old Ashtesh's wreck.
An elephant saw him fleeing and called to his mates.
And so they charged at Zon as he ran to the gates.
But as he came to the trade gate he found bolt instead of saftey.
And so he ran on to find shelter from the elephants that had plagued him lately.
And so he ran to the main gate to find his prayers fullfilled and ran inside.
But the elephants held on and charged and sent him flying aside.
He saw his leg fly off as he flew through the air
And landed down the corridoor feeling unmeasurable dispair.
The elephants came on unstoppable 'tis true.
But something happened right on cue.
A great cheer was let out in the wake of the elephants defeat.
The elephants now serve or rather are served as the finest meat.
For cages caught live,
all of them five.
And so Zon learned a lesson from the adventure he led.
"Don't mess with elephants" he teaches from his bed.

True story.

[ January 02, 2007: Message edited by: Pnx ]

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elephantitus of the dwarf
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 01:07:00 am »

Prose worthy of a dwarven bard! I raise a marble mug of the finest dwarven rum in salute to you!
ho watches those that watch us???

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 05:05:00 am »

Besides the innaccuracy of an elephant "nest", I'd question the choice of name "Zon" :X
Otherwise, indeed a worthy piece of modern art :P
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 04:01:00 pm »

Hey I was just looking at some engravings that were recently made and guess what I found.

First is this one.

Avanatil, "The Lyrical Whiskies"
Engraved on the floor is a finely-designed image of a dwarf by Inod Duthernurdumat. The dwarf is burning
(This I guess is a reference to one of my miners who died in an accident shortly after I flooded the chasm.)

Second

äkimngathsesh Tecák, "The Brilliant Puke Of Sweetness"

Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a dwarf and a Mahogany crossbow by Inod Duthernurdumat. The dwarf is raising the Mahogany crossbow.
(This is definitley a reference to my first artifact which is.. you guessed it a mahogany crossbow.)

Third

Mithmis Ber, "The Gristle of Earth"

Engraved on the floor is a superiorly designed image of a dwarf and an elephant by Inod Duthernurdumat. The dwarf is making a plaintive gesture. The elephant is laughing.
(Can this be any clearer of a referance to the terrors that the elephant menace has wrought upon my poor dwarves.)

Lastly
Uthartosid, "The First Armor"
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a cage by Inod Duthernurdumat.
(Possibly a reference to the story above? Its the only time cage traps have ever come into play in my fortress)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 08:05:00 pm »

its just crazy how many engravings i have of elephants, and elephants striking down dwarves, and dwarves making plaintive gesutres at elephants.  At least half of the 50 or so detailed tiles in my main dining hall have things of that nature.

edit:  worth mentioning that this is a significant part of the lives and deaths of my dwarves.  they live off elephant meat, trade with elephant bones and hides, and at least one or two a year die by elephant stampeed.

I think my favorite though, is an engraving of a dwarf holding a turtle-shell puzzlebox aloft.  A little bit further down the hall is an engraving of a Turtle-Shell Puzzlebox.  The Puzzlebox is withering.

You guessed it, it was an artifact that was created and subsequently lost.  I have the story of its creation and destruction in the same room.

[ January 03, 2007: Message edited by: puke ]