Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do with Goblin King? (Awesomest Siege Ever.)  (Read 864 times)

omalley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do with Goblin King? (Awesomest Siege Ever.)
« on: January 02, 2007, 05:22:00 am »

So there was this bronze colossus giving me crap (actually, he was pretty cool, killing off a whole bunch of zombie elephants and mandrills for me, until he followed somebody into my fortress--I thought I was done until a brave, brave stray cat he was chasing (after smiting a few dwarves, mind you) led him out of the fortress and he went back to his spot) and then my third goblin siege spawns in on top of him and after a pretty impressive battle they finish him off. The goblins rallied and advanced on my fortress--we're talking about 30 goblins and 15 trolls left, though the colossus seemed to kill only one or two (he did get swamped by them, to be fair). My last dwarf outside was running in, and he almost made it, until this Goblin Mace Lord--the King, it turns out--runs up and bashes him about 4 tiles away from the fortress entrance. A hush falls over the battlefield, as the assault is prepared, and then they charge, led by the King. As it turns out, the first trap I have is a cage trap, and the King gets caged. This took a bit of steam out of their attack, and even though they still breached the first line of defense they were turned back at the second. As they retreat, my captain of the guard charges into them and turns it into a rout--she was smashing the greenskins left and right, laying a bloody trail of body parts; quite amusing to watch, in fact. At the edge of the map, a goblin spearman gets a lucky strike in on the captain, and even though he is promptly dispatched, a zombie elephant kills off my poor captain, sustaining mortal wounds in the process. She will always be remembered as a heroine, etc. etc.

The question is: what do I do with the goblin King? Currently I have him in a cage in the zoo (he's the main attraction now!), but I was thinking about moving him into the room I dug out to put the colossus corpse--er, masterpiece bronze statue--in. I thought it would be rather ironic to have the King staring at the colossus that he worked so hard to destroy. (Were I to do this, should I define the room from the cage--a zoo--or the statue--a statue garden? Would it matter? What if I made two overlapping rooms?)

Alternately, should I let him out and kill him? (Let him out in a heavily trapped corridor, of course.) Or chasm the sucker? Drown? Magma?

Would any of this have any effect on the greater world? Would they get a new king? Will they stop besieging me if I hold their king hostage, or try to rescue him? Or will they stop if I kill him? Or neither?

(Also, one of my jewelers went nuts and made a perfect gem. He then went outside and got ambushed and eaten by a cave croc (how the croc got outside, I don't know). Nobody will haul the damn gem back in--I have empty stockpiles--and some damn zombie mandrills keep picking it up but are too slow to make it away even before my pathetic military gets there to kill them. How the hell can I get the gem back inside? And what should I do with it? It would be sweet if I could encrust the colossus corpse with it... hehe...)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with Goblin King? (Awesomest Siege Ever.)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 08:37:00 am »

Wow, hellofa story. I'd let the king out in a locked room full of military dwarves. Let the games begin.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

Krakow Sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 08:41:00 am »

No, I say keep him in your dining room for all your Dwarfs to throw kitten bones at while they eat. Put the collosus statue in your highest ranking Noble's throne-room.

The_Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 12:01:00 pm »

As near as I can tell, killing the goblin king has no meaningful impact.  The king (an axe lord, in my case) led the third siege against my fortress and was killed in the fray; he's still listed as their ruler, and his death has by no means stopped the goblin sieges (if anything, they've intensified, and I kill about five dozen goblins a year... three times that number get away.)

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 03:34:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Krakow Sam:
<STRONG>No, I say keep him in your dining room for all your Dwarfs to throw kitten bones at while they eat. Put the collosus statue in your highest ranking Noble's throne-room.</STRONG>

Do "xxxxx-king"s in cages increase the value of a room?  It'd be awesome if that was the case...

omalley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 07:48:00 pm »

I should have checked this out, sorry (the value of the room with a king as opposed to with this other goblin I captured), but I got impatient and executed him (he had some pretty nice gear). I also got frustrated (as I tend to do when my forts get bigger and I have to live with all my mistakes) and I think I'm just going to barrel straight for the demons, and if they don't finish me off to get as much adamantine as I can ASAP. I'll be interested to see if I can take an adventurer and reclaim some stuff (colossus corpse, artifacts, etc.) and what will happen if I start another fortress and the goblins come again.

omalley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 07:49:00 pm »

Oh, and how do you check the value of a room?

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 08:51:00 pm »

I've never gotten to activate the economy myself, but I do believe the rent of a room is its value, based on what little the wiki says on the subject.  Baring that, open up the big list of all rooms, and it'll give you the quality category of the room (meager, modest, decent all the way up through opulent and toping out at royal).  This only helps when an object is just barely enough to increase the room quality an entire category though.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 09:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by omalley:
Oh, and how do you check the value of a room?
Press the room key (that is, 'r') it will display the room type and quality of that room.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

TakiJap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 09:23:00 am »

Do any animals fight goblins? Since I've been thinking about building a gladiator arena where I could put prisoners to battle dangerous animals for my own amusment.

On the edges of the arena there would be lever triggerable cages with dangerous animals and the goblins would be moved into the middle in a 'levered' cage. When other side is killed doors are opened to the winners and they have to run through cagetrap filled hallway. That way I could get them imprisoned again, if their not tameable like goblins. Could this work and if not, is there any way to make it work?

I also had an idea of makin "The Cube" kinda trap system for my prisoners to run through. That'd be fun.

A shame you already executed him. King would make a good gladiator.

omalley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 04:27:00 pm »

Yeah, it was a shame. So many things to do, only one king to do them to...

From experience I know that ratmen fight goblins (I put them all in one cage and opened it, but the slaughter didn't begin until *after* the cage was open. All friendly like when they're in the same cage, but as soon as that lever gets pulled... bam!), so I'd imagine that most wild animals will too. Gladiator arenas are pretty cool... I had one where the exit had like 4 cage traps, until I got bored with my fort and changed the cage traps to weapon traps... went from "the Arena" to "the Guillotine." Poor king... not really.

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 11:04:00 pm »

An arena... that's bloody brilliant. Throw in a few walls and fortifications, a trap here and there... dude, that would be sweeeet.

And one thing you could do, to make sure that the goblins/kobolds/what have you don't pick the doors, is use floodgates. Then you'd need to set a troll loose for them to get out.

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

omalley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2007, 02:52:00 pm »

Haha... didn't think about using it to give the Marksdwarves practice; I only thought about my own edification. Just need to make sure not to release any goblin bowmen, then.

Also, can't you just lock ("forbid") the door to prevent them from getting out? It would be easier than a floodgate.