Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Man it's hard to bathe a dwarf.  (Read 1627 times)

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Man it's hard to bathe a dwarf.
« on: February 28, 2008, 01:39:00 pm »

All it takes is a pool of water, a bridge, a couple spare mechanisms and a lever.
code:

TOP VIEW:
|D                |   -->       33333
------------------              33333<

SIDE VIEW:
-------------           ------------
           |___Pool____|
                 X <-- Hatch to drain water.
                 |
                 |
                 --------------------> To River/Sewer/Aquifier

Step 1.) Either use a natural pool, or if it's too warm, build the washing station  underground so the water don't evaporate. Call this the landing zone. For a dwarf not to drown don't fill the pool too much. 3/7 is enough to clean most of them.

Step 2.) Draft the dwarf into his own personal army of one. Make sure his loins are ungirded, so keep him in his feelthy clothes as you don't want the bugger losing anything in the pool. March him onto one end of the bridge.

Step 3.) This part takes practice. Your Flingify() must not throw the dwarf too  short nor too far. As I'm not certain yet if the weight of the dwarf (aka how much stuff he's got on) affects his toss range, it's best to remove it from the equation by keeping the dwarves unarmed and unarmored.

Step 4.) Launch the dwarf into the pool.

Step 5.) If you have not fired the dwarf too short and stunned him, or too far and bashed him against a wall, he should be in the pool, not drowning (as it's 3/7), and only mildly stunned. If everything works out, he'll have no more goblin blood splatter or vomit on him, and his clothes will instead be soaked in water. When he/she is unshaken, undraft them, and they oughta march out and go back to work and be only mildly upset at the dunking.

I have tested this, and for the most part (barring the accidents, and the one time the baby was literally thrown out with the bath water, stupid hatch drain), it seems to get most of the filth, though I've had a couple dwarfs fail to be clean without repeated dunkings. But eventually I get em clean-ish.

A lot of work yes, but you get tired of seeing blood and vomit all over your masterpiece clothes.

[ February 28, 2008: Message edited by: MickEfinn ]

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Man it's hard to bathe a dwarf.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 01:43:00 pm »

Mk.II:
Using a retracting bridge, not a flinging one. Less entertaining but less injuries. Drop people in and that should do it.

Also, when you have surplus of useless dwarves(AKA no job peasants), designate a single square for a meeting place and use the random slacker dwarfs to "calibrate" the Flingify()-ing.

An Odd Thought: does having the dwarf briefly swim help? Aka have just a little bit of water in the swimming range endlessly floating about, causing the dwarf to briefly swim a bit before leaving. I'll have to test this when I get home.

Another Odd Thought: does [d]umping soap in help? Now I'll have to make some and see...

[ February 28, 2008: Message edited by: MickEfinn ]

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 01:49:00 pm »

heh, that's awesome. I had a fort where everyone was just matted in blood and vomit. It spread like the plague.

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 02:02:00 pm »

You could also just make part of your main hallway on a lower z level with ramps on both ends and 3/7 water so your dwarfs will run back and forth though it all day long.  putting it on the way to your dinning hall should get everyone.
keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

N35t0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 02:08:00 pm »

Put a grate below the empty hatch to stop large things being washed away...

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »

Sorbius: Wouldn't that cause mud to be tracked about? Or does a tile have to be muddy before it can propagate mud?

N35t0r: I've tried a few grates, but I think babies are too small and slip through, like vermin does.

Scotty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

if bridges still miraculously prevent the spread of mud, just put a bridge on each end of the bath-hall

Ibu Muffintakers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »

I build a recirculating waterfall that pours through grates in the hallway leading to the dining room.  It seems to do the job.  They also like the mist.
ime flies like an arrow.  Fruit flies like a banana.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 05:32:00 pm »

Mud doesn't spread any more.  That was disabled a few releases ago (thank Armok...).
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 07:52:00 pm »

Why not up the water to 4/7? You can still walk through it, but you get some swimming experience out of it too.

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 04:42:00 am »

It is a fantasy game about dwarves, for Armoks sake, and you are inventing the washmashine...

And after the final word, the little guy goes back to his cave, muttering to himself.

With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 12:12:00 pm »

I recommend linking the bridge to a pressure plate and sticking the whole thing in your main hallway, ya'know, to automate the process.

What would also be fun is to have some sort of channel or chasm separating the bridge and the pool, so the dwarves go flying over it, get washed, then have to fly back. The return trip would be the dryer!

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 09:52:00 pm »

To simplify this, just fill a pool to 4/7 water, and make it in the direct path of a major hallway. They'll get cleaned and a small amount of swimming experience.

Better yet, Make a large pool up to 4/7 and designate it as a meeting area. They'll all flock to it in their free time. Public pool!

MickEfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2008, 03:29:00 am »

I wonder if Toady will ever set up some sort of Greek cleaning system (or was it Roman?) of scraping the dwarfs off with some sort of oil. If it worked for the Greeks after all...

Abyss: Linking to automate tends to make the descending bridge turn  random dwarves into pate. This is sometimes bad.

Mlittle: How do YOU get the blood and vomit (and ichor, ooze, et al.) off your dwarves? I got's ta do somethin!

BishopX: Water to a solid 4/7 means swimming, which makes a massive bottleneck after so many dwarves. Remember the whole one dwarf kneels down and the other climbs over? Bad idea in water.

Ibu Muffintakers: Ever dump soap into your waterfall's water source? Does it help?

So much to clean...

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2008, 03:32:00 am »

I've always thought that all that blood and ichor is only natural, and as such must be healthy! Armok knows what kind of bugs could get at your skin without that protective layer of vomit? I call you all heretics :P
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.
Pages: [1] 2 3