Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Shards of the Sky- A forum JRPG (OOC)  (Read 2583 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Shards of the Sky- A forum JRPG (OOC)
« on: October 18, 2020, 08:22:54 pm »

Our sky has offered the world below many blessings. No life would exist on the surface without the warmth of the sun, nor without the cool shower of rain. Yet the ever-generous expanse above this world had seen fit to offer four additional blessings no less impressive. These are the Shards of the Sky, or Shards for short. They are the primary resource powering the modern world. Renewable both in the sense that they continue to fall to the ground and they regain the "energy" they radiate over time, Shards are an integral part to every day life. They can be found in everything from coffee makers to weapons, from airships to sneakers, from medicine to sports equipment.

Fallen Stars represent the element of Fire. A twinkling ball of light pleasantly warm to the touch, Fallen Stars look exactly as if you had plucked a twinkling star from the night sky. With a more subtle but no less beautiful glow, the Moon Rocks of the Earth element look as if you had taken a piece of one of the three moons. Scholars say that this is indeed the case - with the rocks being pulled toward our world from the rings surrounding one of the moons. Together these are the Gifts of the Night, Shards that fall when the sun is down. With a fluffy texture that could easily be confused for a ball of cotton in constant motion, Fallen clouds represent the element of Wind. Finally the jagged puzzle-piece shaped Fallen Sky represents either Water or Ice depending on your home nation. It is cool to the touch and easy to handle despite often having jagged edges. These two represent the Gifts of the Day, which fall when the sun rules the sky.

Size directly relates to the amount of power and magical energy produced by a Shard. In general the bigger it is, the more powerful it will be. As such despite many shards falling to the world every day the primary method of finding a significant amount large enough to be of practical use is (quite ironically) digging those that had fallen since the birth of the world from the ground. Fertile mines have historically been fought over due to the obvious economic and military advantage of holding them. Shards are utilized in two main ways: integrating them into equipment or machinery and invoking their powers directly. Integrating can very in complexity depending on its purpose, at the simple end a sword might have a Fallen Star built into its handle to invoke fire to the blade or strength to the wielder. On the complex side an engine in a main battle tank would have a complicated system allowing the machinery to turn the energy produced by the shard into motion of the tank's treads. Invoking involves taking a Shard and transforming its power into a magic effect. Invoking often uses shards built into jewelry, wands, staffs, or other such equipment depending on the culture the Magia hails from. While anyone with willpower can invoke a Shard, it takes great skill and training to do so in an effective way.

But this world isn't made of Shards, it is made of people. People like you. There are two main continents surrounded by smaller islands, each covered with a variety of nations with their own unique politics and culture. They've fought among each other, conquered each other, forged and broken deals, traded goods and culture, and everything else you'd expect nations to do with themselves. For a time, the world has been mostly peaceful. Minor conflicts between deniable third-parties and mercenaries (and monsters) still pop up on occasion, but the average civilian could sleep peacefully knowing their town wouldn't be overrun by an opposing army anytime soon. That peace would not last.

With the four blessings came a single curse. Shards of the Night. Dark as the Abyss between the stars. When they fall to the world, monsters appear. This is typically nothing that the locals can't handle, with many organizations formed to protect civilians from the larger shards that generate more powerful monsters. Most people live normal lives protected from such creatures thanks to their valiant efforts.

But unknown to all but a few, a Shard of the Night of unprecedented size has Fallen to this world. Joining it as if attracted to its power is countless smaller Shards of various sizes, enough to cover the world in Darkness. For the first time in history the beloved sky has become an invading enemy. Those who have identified the threat have christened the seven largest shards as the "Lords of the Night", which together represent a threat to the very world.

Hope is not lost. Between the two continents sits a city by the name of Saint Ark's Port. This city attracts people across the world for both business and pleasure. People like our Heroes. Will they be able to band together to save our world? Or will the Lords of the Night triumph in the end?

So yeah. JRPG like setting. I left the nations vague so you can feel free to design your own character how you'd like, we'll probably end up visiting their homelands if this doesn't die in a month.

Now for the JRPG like mechanics!

~~~Character Creation~~~
Name:
Description:
Background:
Class:
Attack/Defense/Balance:
Moves: (Name, Type, Option, and Description)
Limit Break:
Crit Support:
Weapon(Damage Type):

To create a character, you will need to choose a Class. Classes are Martial, Magia, or Support.

-Martials are physical fighters who hit people with big swords, bullets, or basically anything else. Their Moves typically cost BREAK to use, and they have increased BREAK gain compared to the other classes. They have stronger Attack and Defense, but weaker Magic attack and Magic defense.
Martial Moves: Attack, Attack, Attack, Buff

-Magia are magical fighters capable of invoking SHARDS to both blast enemies with fireballs while supporting allies with fire shields. Their Moves typically cost SHARDS to use and they have an increased SHARD pool compared to the other classes. They have stronger Magic Attack and Magic Defense, but weaker Attack and Defense.
Magia Moves: Attack, Attack, Buff, Support

-Supports are those who focus on making their allies the best fighters they can be. While healing is usually seen as their most important duty, they are fully capable of changing the face of the battlefield with their Support abilities. At game start, two of their Moves cost SHARDS while two cost BREAK. Their stats are balanced.
Support Moves: Attack, Buff, Support Support

Stirk, what is that Moves nonsense you ask? Moves are the spells, techniques, and abilities that your particular character has. You will start with four moves, who's type depends on what Class you chose. Moves consist of a Name, Type, Option, and Description. The Move's Type determines what you can do with it. There are three Types, Attack, Buff, and Support. Attack Moves target enemies, and automatically do damage in addition to their Option. Buff Moves target one of your comrades and raise a/multiple Stats based on the Option. Support moves target an alley and have a special effect based on their Option.

Options are what make the moves unique. At level 1, each Move will have one Option. Options are essentially what special effect the move will have. Some examples for Attack Options are: Extra Damage, Poison, Multiple Target, Attack Type, and DEF Debuff. Attack Options can only effect the attack target, so you could not raise your own Attack from an Attack move. Buff moves raise an Ally's stats(Attack/Def/MAttack/MDef/Critical/Evade/HP/SHARDS) depending on what Option you choose. You can also choose effects like Multiple Target and Cost Type, but with only one Option at level 1 you should probably just pick a stat to buff. Buffs can stack on repeated casting up to a CAP of 50%, renewing the time limit on each cast. Support Moves have a variety of options that buff your allies without Buffing them. Examples: Protect from Physical Attack, Evade Magic, Heal HP, Cure Ailment, Remove Debuff, Revive, BREAK up.

As you level up you will be able to either upgrade old Moves or form new ones with multiple Options. Options are able to stack, if you choose Extra Damage twice you'll receive more extra damage, if you choose Buff Attack twice you'll receive a larger buff, if you choose Heal twice you receive more healing. In addition, you may choose a Negative Options to give yourself an additional Positive Option. Negative Options are things that make the technique "worse" in return for the extra power. Some examples: Expensive Cost, Absorbs Health, Debuffs Caster (Defense), Caster gets (Ailment). At the start you may optionally choose one Negative Option per move.

Limit Breaks work like normal Moves, but are significantly more powerful. You can choose 4 Options for your Limit Break. You can activate a Limit Break when your BREAK is over 100. You can choose Options from any of the Types as you see fit, but can only choose one target without a Multiple Target option (so that one enemy would get all penalties and one ally all bonuses). By default it will deal more damage than a Move, you can trade this damage away for an extra two Options. You may have a Negative Option for Limit Breaks. For those unfamiliar with the concept, BREAK is a bar that goes up after every successful attack or when you take damage.

Critical Supports are a special ability that activates when an Ally that has chosen you as a Critical Support scores a critical hit. This gives you an opportunity to make what is effectively a free move. You may choose Options from any of the three categories, but all negative effects can only fall on the target of the Critical and all positives on the person who made the Critical Hit. In the case of multiple critical hits in one turn, effects on the character will only activate once while effects on the enemy will activate for everyone who got hit by a critical hit. You may not choose Negative Options for Critical Supports. Multiple Players can choose the same ally as a Critical Support. Critical Support will not do an attack's worth of damage unless this is their Option.

Weapons can be about anything you'd find in an RPG, keeping in mind you're at the first level and liable to replace it. Every weapon has an attack type: Cutting, Slashing, Bashing, Fire, Wind, Water, or Earth. Cutting, Slashing, and Bashing are considered Physical Attacks and will deal damage based off the user's Attack stat by default. Fire, Wind, Water, and Earth are considered Elemental attacks and deal damage based off of MAttack by default. There arn't any RPS elements to this, enemy Monsters will simply have different resistances that will provide a bonus or penalty to certain attacks. Moves will by default do the same damage as the user's weapon, Options can be used to change this for each move. Options can also be used to make a Physical attack do damage based off your Mattack or an Elemental attack to deal damage based on Attack. You may only have one Attack Type at this level, future weapons will be able to have multiple types and do a fraction of their damage in each type.

Attack/Defense/Balance are your three options to further customize your stats. In general I will be dictating what your statups are at level up based on your chose here and class. The Attack Focus raises Attack, Mattack, and Crit but lowers Defense, MDefense, and Evasion while Defense raises MDefence, Evasion, and Defense at the cost of Attack, Mattack, and Crit. Balanced raises and lowers none of your stats.

The stats are: HP/SHARDS/ATTACK/DEFENSE/MAGIC ATTACK/MAGIC DEFENSE/EVASION/CRIT

HP is HP, Shards is MANA equivalent. Attacks are typically calculated by first seeing if the attacker hits based off the target's Evasion. Magic attacks (Any attack that uses the MAttack stat) usually ignore the target's Evasion. On a hit, the target rolls to see if they got a Critical Hit. If they do they multiply their final damage by 1.5, and their Crit Support activates if a player is the one critting. Damage is calculated by (Attack+Bonuses-Def)*Modifiers. If the attack is Evaded, then the target makes a normal Counter Attack with their weapon that can't miss. This game is turn based with the Players' turn coming before the enemy's turn. All attacks will be processed in logical order rather than post order (so if you buff someone who posted an attack, the attack will get the buff) unless the player specifies when their attack should be in the lineup.

And that should be everything! As always, ask if there are any questions. Below is a Sample Character that should help limit the confusion.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 10:32:45 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Shards of the Sky- A forum JRPG (OOC)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 09:58:51 pm »

Here's hoping I did this right. Its pretty confusing.

Spoiler: Application (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 11:08:39 pm by Supernerd »
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 10:32:13 pm »

Here's hoping I did this right. Its pretty confusing.

Spoiler: Application (click to show/hide)

Sorry if things are confusing, I could probably use an editor. And a nap. Hopefully I'll be around to clarify and things will get clearer once people get sheets in.

I actually screwed up when taking things from my Notes, you're supposed to get 4 Options on your limit break by default. I should probably write that in, you can pick out 3 more.

Just to clarify, your Crit Support can either be an Attack or Random Status Ailment at this level. For Cri Supports, a damaging Attack counts as an Option.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 10:35:34 pm »

Okay. I made the two changes.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 10:51:23 pm »

Okay. I made the two changes.

Looks good. Just to avoid confusion later a single Ignores Defense option will ignore 20% of an enemy's defense here, if you want it to be higher you can stack it (for roughly 20% each).

I think you put "veteran" twice in your background.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 01:01:51 pm »

The idea behind repeat is that he is summoning a spirit of ice, which drains a bit of his magic each turn, and repeats the initial attack, meaning he can build up to a barrage of ice spirits, But he must keep casting the spell each turn, and if he runs out of SHARDS the effect stops. It's basically ramping damage. I could change it to a buff or support though. Or an extra attack, in the form of a set of 2 ice shards which he sends flying at a single target or multiple targets
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 03:19:11 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 01:45:58 pm »

The idea behind repeat is that he is summoning a spirit of ice, which drains a bit of his magic each turn, and repeats the initial attack, meaning he can build up to a barrage of ice spirits, But he must keep casting the spell each turn, and if he runs out of SHARDS the effect stops. It's basically ramping damage. I could change it to a buff or support though. Or an extra attack, in the form of a set of 2 ice shards which he sends flying at a single target or multiple targets

Do you want to apply something like Frozen instead of Stun? It feels like you want them to be frozen.

From what I understand, you want something like this:
Turn 1: Activate Spirit of Ice, One attack
Turn 2: Activate Spirit of Ice, Two attacks
Turn 3: Activate Spirit of Ice, Three attacks

Which is a bit overpowered for a single Option, since you're doubling your damage after just one turn and increasing it linearly from there. There are several ways we can work around this:
-Give cumulative bonus to damage on each repeat, goes away when you take a different action
-Allow multiple attacks, bonus attacks are heavily nerfed (No crit, significantly lowered damage, enemy evade bonus)
-Allow multiple attacks, all attacks nerfed (less damage for the first attack, bonus attacks are identical to first).

If you have other ideas on how this could work, feel free to suggest them.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 01:55:05 pm »

Do you want to apply something like Frozen instead of Stun? It feels like you want them to be frozen.

Which is a bit overpowered for a single Option, since you're doubling your damage after just one turn and increasing it linearly from there. There are several ways we can work around this:
-Give cumulative bonus to damage on each repeat, goes away when you take a different action
-Allow multiple attacks, bonus attacks are heavily nerfed (No crit, significantly lowered damage, enemy evade bonus)
-Allow multiple attacks, all attacks nerfed (less damage for the first attack, bonus attacks are identical to first).

I would be fine with any of those options, I would prefer the first or the third, does having to pay the individual SHARD cost for all of the attacks, including the bonuses, help tone down the power? We could also put a cap on the number of spirits, say 1+1 additional for every level of repeat?As for the stunned thing, since it's being applied to me, it's meant to be him having just exhausted a massive amount of magical energy to attack a target.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 01:57:18 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 02:37:59 pm »

I would be fine with any of those options, I would prefer the first or the third, does having to pay the individual SHARD cost for all of the attacks, including the bonuses, help tone down the power? We could also put a cap on the number of spirits, say 1+1 additional for every level of repeat?As for the stunned thing, since it's being applied to me, it's meant to be him having just exhausted a massive amount of magical energy to attack a target.

Paying the Shard cost of the attacks alone wouldn't be enough (double damage for double cost is basically acting twice in one turn, then three attacks in one turn, etc until your batteries are dry. Still outpacing everyone who gets one attack a turn.) The cap also won't really help on its own given that 2 attacks a turn is already overpowered, I'm not so much worried what happens if you stack it too high than I am what happens at practical levels.

For example if I where to repair the RAW suggestion with Valen:
T1: Ralik gets 1 attack, Valen gets 1 attack. Total R1 V1
T2: Ralik gets 2 attack, Valen gets 1 attack. Total R3 V2, Ralik has now done 50% more damage than Valen
T3: Ralik gets 3 attacks, Valen gets 1 attack. Total R 6 V3 - Ralik has now done 100% more damage than Valen
T4: Ralik gets 4 attacks, Valen gets 1 attack. Total R 10 V4 - 150% more damage

etc with more damage after each boost. Even if you stopped at 2 you'd still be doing twice as much damage a turn than Valen until you run out of SHARDS. Though Valen is a support class, this is obviously overpowered for being a single move. We simply need a way to keep the damage down to something more reasonable.

Keep in mind that you will be able to take more Options when you advance, and that you can take multiple Repeat Options later if you want to get closer to this power. Option 3 would be the easiest way to start out if you want to build up to this, though as a GM option 1 is attractive since it has less rolling lol.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 03:04:13 pm »

I think I'll go with option one, and hey, it even kinda fits? If I'm just charging the spirit I've already summoned with more power for it to keep attacking. How should I phrase option one in my sheet though?
My Power armor arms race

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 03:13:50 pm »

I think I'll go with option one, and hey, it even kinda fits? If I'm just charging the spirit I've already summoned with more power for it to keep attacking. How should I phrase option one in my sheet though?

You can keep the same lore if you want, one attack isn't necessarily one bullet/sword slash/spirit flying through the target. It was meant to work with what you've already written.

You can just put a quote for the option at the bottom of the post to remind me, having "Repeat" as your option should be enough on your actual sheet.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2020, 03:20:55 pm »

Effect of repeat
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 03:02:13 pm by dgr11897 »
My Power armor arms race

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 02:13:05 pm »

We can probably start when one more person joins.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2020, 08:03:53 am »

Is this still a thing?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2020, 08:23:12 am »

I was interested in joining, but I haven't got the time right now and I have my own things to tend to.

If Stirk is willing to exercise patience then even if nobody else is interested this can still be a thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3