Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gasp! My first dragon!  (Read 523 times)

Elerion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gasp! My first dragon!
« on: February 28, 2008, 04:32:00 am »

What's it going to do? Omygod omygod omygod. Okay, do this properly. Dwarves, indoors. Crossbowdwarves, position on ramparts. Hammerdwarves, position inside.

Oh god this is tense! What's going to happen?

Here it comes!

It... died in the weapon trap halfway to my fort.

:/

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gasp! My first dragon!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 05:07:00 am »

Traps are way to cheesy.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 05:10:00 am »

I need to amp my dragons up to crazy levels to even threaten a single one of my hero dwarves. It's part of the reason I'm making a mod to make megabeasts that much more dangerous.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 01:31:00 pm »

It's a delicate balance. With megabeasts the way they are... a few traps won't even scratch them, but load them up with all the weapons you get from a good-sized siege or a year's worth of weaponsmith training, and you get dragon giblets in no time.

It's not so much a matter of being ABLE to do these things, in my opinion, it's what you would rather do: Have a thin line of traps to weaken an opponent prior to an epic melee with military dwarves? Have a thick forest of traps and crossbowdwarves behind fortifications to minimize the risk? Or set up a sweet magma-channel setup to encase dragons in obsidian? Bridge-crushings aren't all-powerful now (if I recall correctly), but they were yet another option.

It's all up to you whether you want it to be cheesy-easy or nail-bitingly epic.
It's up to the computer, though, whether your adventurer valiantly wrestles a demon to death or dies to an arrow that crosses his eye, lung, pancreas, and left third toe.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 02:18:00 pm »

My first dragon decided to attack the human caravan at my trade depot.  It died, after lighting EVERYTHING on fire.  Took my haulers a whole in-game year to clean it up...
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 03:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Puzzlemaker:
<STRONG>My first dragon decided to attack the human caravan at my trade depot.  It died, after lighting EVERYTHING on fire.  Took my haulers a whole in-game year to clean it up...</STRONG>

My first dragon was in Landsdiamond, which I posted about a while back.  Did exactly that: one breath, then death by guards.  But I was a newb, so I didn't realize that I should forbid everything in the depot.  More than 80% of my fortress died in the fire.  Took the survivors a whole in-game year just to bury the dead.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 04:00:00 pm »

Toady said he' going to balance traps in the Army Arc if he works on it long enough. Here's hoping.

Worldwaker

• Bay Watcher
  • Kitty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 04:04:00 pm »

I'm sure that they'll be ironed out soon enough.