Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Hexahood (Gridhood, but hexa.) Turn 7  (Read 8585 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Hexahood
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2020, 04:24:46 am »

The world essentially stagnates this turn, expanding by only one tile. Perhaps the gods desire more sustenance?

One new tribe comes into being upon the high mountain slope. A pile of washed-up kelp on the beach almost becomes self-aware, but fails. Nobody knows what effect this might have!

The Catfish are excited to discover bountiful new vistas opened up to them, and the ten of their number sent out to collect food carry back enough to feed twice that number. Of course as the Catfish do not have twice that number, rather less than that will ultimately be saved for next time, but it's still a considerable haul. Of the two others, one prays in thanks to Cait Sith and the other watches the foragers with an eye toward taking notes — and achieves a breakthrough, mapping out more efficient routes through the most valuable gathering-grounds that will hopefully increase the amount of food brought back by every worker.
The Catfish have, through both study and direct experience, increased their foraging level by one! All accumulated Investigation Points in Foraging++, though, have been spent to achieve this outcome, and further development will require more research! Despite the way the flavourtext is written, though, this actually doesn't include the IP gained this turn because of the order of evaluation.
The plenty the Catfish discover in the newfound lands strikes them so deeply, in fact, that they all come together at the end of the turn in a great migration, swimming to the kelp forest to shelter there. Whether this will be their permanent home, or they will develop a migratory tradition instead, remains to be seen.

The Plain Humans put a modest amount of effort into foraging, gathering 14 units of food. Without any storage, the excess is wasted, and without anyone present to make prayer over it, Phlattus doesn't even get anything out of it this time. Still, the 4 IP they get in Sustainable Foraging completes the tech. Sorry, I should say that in a more interesting way: After carefully observing the monthly growth of the plains plants (including plantains) and the cycles of the prey animal population, the Humans have developed a schedule by which they can ensure their impact on their environment is within the level that nature can heal.
The Plain Humans have unlocked Sustainable Foraging and can now forage sustainably to avoid depleting a tile. This will result in lower foraging yields, of course, but it might be a footstep toward something more...
On the other hand, the eight gatherers have also been paying attention to the cycles of nature for their own purposes, and have learned a thing or two about where on the plains the grains are most abundant, where the rodents hide, and where the plantains are leafiest; they now head straight for the good stuff and waste less time wandering around.
Through experience, the Plain Humans have gained one foraging level too!

The Platipeople, deciding that this whole god business is for suckers, devote all their resources to foraging and acquire 18 units of food, sating the hungry to break-even. Though they have learned the lore of non-food materials, they don't come upon anything useful this month.
I forgot to say this earlier, but the Platipeople could attempt to gather resources, either generally or with specific resources in mind, in order to have a better shot of picking up useful materials — but at the expense of the food gain from foraging, which can also result in materials (though less often).

The Rethi collect 13 units of food (of which the extra is lost, of course) and work on improving their foraging technique, learning the ways of the swamp. They come perilously close to a breakthrough by month's end...

And finally, the newborn Mountain Zebras set to work much as the others have, snubbing the gods to devote themselves to foraging and studying foraging. Though the rocky terrain of their home offers precious little in the way of sustenance, a foray into the jungle reveals a wealth of greenery free for the browsing, and the Zebras pull together the necessary 12 units of food. The growth patterns of plants by altitude becomes the first observation of the budding Zebra scientists.

The plain at B3t seems especially lush lately.

Cait Sith gains 1 power from the worship of the Catfish, offsetting the expenditure of creating the Ravine.
Phlattus gains 2 power. It's not immediately obvious to him why this might be.

key
mountain
jungle
freshwater body
open ocean
basic beach
plain
wet lands
swampier wet lands
volcano
kelp forest
coral reef
estuary
ravine

Gods
Cait Sith: 6 Power
Phlattus: 3 Power
Morbus: 5 Power

Tribes
Catfish at F6r: 12 Population, 3 Food
  • (E) Foraging ++ [1 IP]
Plain Plains Humans at B4t: 12 Population
  • (C) Sustainable Foraging
  • (I) INSPIRATION: Sacred Sites
Platipeople at C3s: 12 Population
  • (I) INSPIRATION: Hunting Tools
  • (C) Materials 1
Retha at F8t: 12 Population
  • (E) Foraging ++ [6 IP]
Mountain Zebras at G7s: 12 Population
  • (E) Foraging ++ [4 IP]

I have changed the completeness labels on "Foraging ++" techs from (I) to (E) to indicate that these are Endless techs you can pour as much effort as you want into.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 06:43:08 am by Maximum Spin »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hexahood (Gridhood, but hexa.)
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2020, 04:37:33 am »

The Retha will divert their attention to non-edible resources in their environment.

2x forage in F8t
3x forage in F7t
2x forage in F8u
3x research Materials 1
2x pray to Morbus

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2020, 05:07:40 am »

Mountain Zebras
2 Zebras forage at G7s.
3 Zebras forage at F7s.
2 Zebras forage at G8s.
3 Zebras research improved foraging.
2 Zebra prays to Cait Sith
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2020, 05:52:46 am »

The Fruit Foraging Forest Folk (a group of humans) pop into existence on F6s.

Their leader shakes a pear.

7x forage for food on F6s.
2x reasearch improved foraging.
3x pray to Cait Sith.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 10:00:19 am by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2020, 06:44:26 am »

A couple small mistakes and omissions have been corrected. Now, with that no longer nagging at me, hopefully I can go back to sleep.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2020, 08:16:13 am »

Cait Sith Ponders how to smite foolish mortals for encroaching so closely. Still, it remains to be seen if that will be needed.

Well, this new tribe does not worship, nor sacrifice excess. Therefore they are of lesser concern than the Mountain Zebras. Still, Cait Sith is slightly gracious, and would make a home for them to travel to to avoid her wrath and the conflict of others.

FFFF, I suggest setting up in the wetlands of F6s, rather than the nonsensible A7s. I am more than capable of making a forest for you to migrate to and live in if you do. As is, you location is in conflict with two tribes and two gods.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2020, 08:28:19 am »

2 platipeople forage C4s
2 platipeople forage C3s
2 platipeople forage C4s
2 platipeople forage C3r
2 platipeople gather resources, such as rock or wood.
2 platipeople pray to Phlattus for better fertility.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2020, 09:59:45 am »

Cait Sith Ponders how to smite foolish mortals for encroaching so closely. Still, it remains to be seen if that will be needed.

Well, this new tribe does not worship, nor sacrifice excess. Therefore they are of lesser concern than the Mountain Zebras. Still, Cait Sith is slightly gracious, and would make a home for them to travel to to avoid her wrath and the conflict of others.

FFFF, I suggest setting up in the wetlands of F6s, rather than the nonsensible A7s. I am more than capable of making a forest for you to migrate to and live in if you do. As is, you location is in conflict with two tribes and two gods.

Done.  How's this?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2020, 11:24:37 am »

The Plains Humans look around at the world with renewed joy. Not only have they have better figured out how to thrive in Phlattus' lands, but they have plantains. Now if only they could figure out why plants seemed to keep sprouting from their (carefully flattened) pile of rotting excess food.

3x forage sustainably for food on B3t.
2x forage sustainably for food on B4t.
1x forage for food on C4t.
1x forage for food on B4u.
2x worship Phlattus, sacrificing all excess food.
3x research Seed Planting.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2020, 11:25:21 am »

The Catfish notice that the bulk of their food is being wasted. This is absolutely crippling to them, and is now their number 1 priority. The Catfish are hopeful that Cait Sith would not be too disappointed about not getting prayer this turn.

2 Catfish forage at F6r
2 Catfish forage at F5r
2 Catfish forage at F5q
2 Catfish forage at E5r
4 Catfish research Food Storage
If this is a legal thing to do, the Catfish will attempt to increase their population if at least 12 food is foraged this turn.

Spoiler: For personal use only (click to show/hide)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2020, 11:27:23 am »

"For the new worshipers who offer scritches, I create for thee a home of your own."

Creation
E6s: Forest: A home of trees for the Fruit Foraging Forest Folk.
E5s: Jungle: A jungle filled with life for them to venture into for yet more food and wood.
E6t: Meadow: Open spaces filled with flowers, herbs, and some trees and bushes. Ecologically it's quite important.

You could set the excess to be sacrificed to me, but storage is also rather important. Since it seems actions can help research.

FFFF, are the above to your liking? The wetlands should also be a good place to fish later.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2020, 01:39:36 pm »

FFFF, are the above to your liking? The wetlands should also be a good place to fish later.

Yes.  You've just earned yourself some worshipers. :)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2020, 02:27:13 pm »

Platipeople have chosen their plain god, but this balance means I have 3 tribes. A nice start.

My next action is likely to involve some landshaping on a larger scale, or blessing a tile. Pondering is a likely must though.

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2020, 05:10:38 pm »

The Trolls arrive on E8u

6x forage for food on E8u.
4x research improved foraging.
2x forage for food on F8u

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile