Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress Lgbtqia+.  (Read 7916 times)

Dwarf fortress Lgbtqia+.
« on: October 05, 2020, 12:48:30 am »

Dear Toady/Dwarf fortress community,

Hi ya! How ya doing? I have been playing DF and loving it. I have loved this community for a long time but have finally gotten into playing Fortress mode! But as I bisexual man I just wanted to now if Lgbtqia+ releationships would ever be added to the game? I would really liked to be able to have some gay dwarfs and some trans or non binary dwarfs if you could? I jsut really love this game and to me adding that would add some much to the relationship meqanic! Please consider it!

Sincerely,
Causale Fantasy Writing

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress Lgbtqia+.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 03:37:50 am »

Orientation's been in the game since 2014.

Gender's planned for whenever Toady decides to do more with souls or body transformations. So, possibly in the Magic development arc, if there's time.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 03:40:04 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2020, 05:32:02 am »

Oh thanks for the heads up!

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 01:47:35 pm »

I can feel a storm coming on.

Yeah, orientations have been in the game for quite a while, and there's a chance that your fortress will be the home of a homosexual couple.
As of anything about transexuality or somethin', I'm not sure. I only seen Tarn mention it in a quick tweet in response to someone who played the game (or not, probably stopped by now), but it was like a quick response.
I dunno how transitions would be handled.
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2020, 02:08:33 pm »

With the 1400 cut-off I'd guess it's mostly choice of clothes.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 02:32:11 pm »

With Dwarf Therapist it's pretty easy to see who in your fort is gay, straight, bi or asexual. Orientation applies to animals too.

Right now it doesn't seem that clothes are gendered in DF either, it anyone will wear dresses or skirts if they are around. I would guess it would only affect romantic relationships- unless there is some polymorphism magic in the world then I suppose anyone can appear how they want to.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 04:18:29 pm »

True. But moon snail people didn't exist in medieval Europe so there are gender issues (the pronoun issue Tarn mentioned in his tweet for example) to consider even without looking at what "real" humans/dwarves were doing back then.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 04:26:20 pm »

With Dwarf Therapist it's pretty easy to see who in your fort is gay, straight, bi or asexual. Orientation applies to animals too.

Right now it doesn't seem that clothes are gendered in DF either, it anyone will wear dresses or skirts if they are around. I would guess it would only affect romantic relationships- unless there is some polymorphism magic in the world then I suppose anyone can appear how they want to.
This is just male skirts and male dresses. All clothes exist as male version, except bust-halter.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 07:19:01 pm »

This is just male skirts and male dresses. All clothes exist as male version, except bust-halter.

Where did you hear that? I can't find any mention of male or female clothing on wiki and I've never even seen a 'bust-halter'.  Googling "Dwarf fortress bust halter" brings up no results.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2020, 08:21:28 pm »

Where did you hear that? I can't find any mention of male or female clothing on wiki and I've never even seen a 'bust-halter'.  Googling "Dwarf fortress bust halter" brings up no results.
He means, "skirt" is an item worn by men in pre-1400 times (who weren't trying to dress like women), as is "dress".

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 11:02:23 am »

He means, "skirt" is an item worn by men in pre-1400 times (who weren't trying to dress like women), as is "dress".

Skirts and dresses have been an item of clothing worn by men and women under various names for thousands of years, as it still is today. These are cultural distinctions not technological.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 12:24:58 pm »

I think the DF way would be to randomly decide for each culture in game which clothes are considered appropriate for men / women / children. Which are formal / informal and so on.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 03:08:50 pm »

I think the DF way would be to randomly decide for each culture in game which clothes are considered appropriate for men / women / children. Which are formal / informal and so on.

Semi-randomly, to avoid folks wearing only loincloths and freezing to death.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 03:15:58 pm »

Procedurally. ;p

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 03:54:38 pm »

Toady being Toady I would bet Clothes get a lot of values like isolation and what not, so they may choose fitting ones.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5