Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How should decisions on ships and installations without player-made contracts be handled when shareholders are in disagreement?

Unanimous decisions
Majority decisions
Plurality decisions
Highest !influence/join time

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Risky Ventures - Turn 1: Load Up and Sail Out  (Read 7760 times)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Risky Ventures - Turn 1: Load Up and Sail Out
« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2020, 06:10:41 pm »

we refuse to pay in anything at all except for our share of the upkeep
You try things like that and then you wonder why TMC doesn't like you. ::)
... Did I "try" that? I already signed in to pay my share. No, I don't want to do that at all, I was just expressing it as the outer limit of possibility. For christ sake you guys are touchy.
Oh, I like you and your antics and consider you, if nothing else, a great adversary. We could use a man like you in the Consortium.

Would you still like to purchase a free captain for the whole ship (of which you own 20%?) I'm sure I can talk Happerry into it. :P
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2020, 06:17:41 pm »

Would you still like to purchase a free captain for the whole ship (of which you own 20%?) I'm sure I can talk Happerry into it. :P
Yes, I am still willing to do that.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2020, 09:21:56 pm »

In all honesty, I missed that post and didn't notice you'd already gotten a captain. If you want to pay for that, that's fine with me. As for cargo, my base assumption that as the ship had 100 cargo spaces, and 100 shares, as stated in this GM post the amount of cargo on the ship each of us have access to is equal to the amount of shares we have. Everything else follows from the fact that heavy elements are 15 cargo spaces large. If TMC had spare space that we couldn't fill due to size issues, I'd not mind letting someone else use it to max out cargo, but we have 60 shares, so 60 cargo spaces, and 60 is divisible by 15 so there's no spare spaces, while 20/15 does leave wasted space left over, without that wasted space being enough to have another heavy element be put in it.

If you want to switch to say, Low-G Edible Flora, I'm willing to switch over if you can convince the rest of the shareholders for TMC to support that switch, or if you can convince evictedSaint to allow for more then one cargo type at a time so you can use up otherwise wasted space, that would also be fine with me.

[X] TMC
Buy 15 Authentic Meats from Home market.
Load 15 Authentic Meats and ^268 on MeMerchantVessel#1
Send MerMerchantVessel#1 to Mun to purchase Heavy Elements.

Spoiler: TMC Assets (click to show/hide)

Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2020, 09:54:02 pm »

As for cargo, my base assumption that as the ship had 100 cargo spaces, and 100 shares, as stated in this GM post the amount of cargo on the ship each of us have access to is equal to the amount of shares we have.
I agree that that's the logical interpretation of that post but that post happened after your plan.

Prior to that post I had assumed that, if n objects go into the ship, a fraction of 3n/5 of them are yours and n/5 of them belong to each of irony and me, irrespective of the individual cargo spaces (even if this means we "own" fractional amounts of goods, since the ownership is irrelevant until converted to credits anyway). This seems to me like a more sensible way of doing things than divvying up the individual cargo spaces, since it means each shareholder owns a whatever% share of "the ship" and its ventures rather than literally "the cargo hold", so that's what I was working with at the time. Obviously we now know that's not how it works, so my earlier statement based on how I'd interpreted the rules (which went into scarce detail on the subject) was just wrong.

Still, by all accounts we *can* arrange it like that by contract, so I'd really like it if we could agree on Irony's contract which just satisfies my personal desires for how this works much better (and doesn't seem to me to explicitly make any of us much better or worse off than the others).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 09:55:55 pm by Maximum Spin »

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 03, 2020, 12:08:00 am »

I agree that that's the logical interpretation of that post but that post happened after your plan.
It was still the starting assumption I made, even before that post went out. That post just confirmed my assumption on how things worked. (Which I thought was the natural assumption and that other people would also be working off of it, but that's my turn to be wrong.)

Prior to that post I had assumed that, if n objects go into the ship, a fraction of 3n/5 of them are yours and n/5 of them belong to each of irony and me, irrespective of the individual cargo spaces (even if this means we "own" fractional amounts of goods, since the ownership is irrelevant until converted to credits anyway). This seems to me like a more sensible way of doing things than divvying up the individual cargo spaces, since it means each shareholder owns a whatever% share of "the ship" and its ventures rather than literally "the cargo hold", so that's what I was working with at the time. Obviously we now know that's not how it works, so my earlier statement based on how I'd interpreted the rules (which went into scarce detail on the subject) was just wrong.

Still, by all accounts we *can* arrange it like that by contract, so I'd really like it if we could agree on Irony's contract which just satisfies my personal desires for how this works much better (and doesn't seem to me to explicitly make any of us much better or worse off than the others).
While I do not find this intolerable, it's not something I'm willing to agree to unilaterally without buy in from the shareholders. Get them (a1s, m1895, and Ray_Anor) to agree that that's acceptable and I'll sign.

I mean, it's not like I'm preventing anyone from using any TMC spare cargo space, as there is no TMC spare cargo space, nor am I preventing anyone else from sharing their own spare cargo space, there's just not enough left to carry another unit of goods. So it's not like such an agreement would increase the total amount of goods being moved. Especially since I already said that if people were that much bugged by having some spare space I'd be willing to do the less profitable for TMC more profitable for you two Low-G Edible Flora in the name of mutual good will.

Edit : Also, since I did ping them on discord to look at this, if they don't say anything I'll take it as a statement of 'I do not care'.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 12:28:32 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 03, 2020, 04:28:28 am »

Expressing interest to join

Company:  Sublight Trading Corp.
Stock Symbol:  SUB
Credits: ^500
Influence: !0
Assets: Small Warehouse#1 (10 Space) (1/1 shares owned)

Can I enter contracts and spend money immediately, or do I have to wait till next turn?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 03, 2020, 01:17:49 pm »

Just to avoid this.

ASS, the contract I proposed assume you will pay part of the total cost respective to your shares (^80 for commodity, ^10 for maintenance and ^5 for price changes on Mun) and gain this part in the profit (Expected to be ^30).
I'm good with this as I was under the impression we would be splitting the price and profit from the cargo.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 03, 2020, 05:42:49 pm »

I mean, it's not like I'm preventing anyone from using any TMC spare cargo space, as there is no TMC spare cargo space, nor am I preventing anyone else from sharing their own spare cargo space, there's just not enough left to carry another unit of goods. So it's not like such an agreement would increase the total amount of goods being moved. Especially since I already said that if people were that much bugged by having some spare space I'd be willing to do the less profitable for TMC more profitable for you two Low-G Edible Flora in the name of mutual good will.

Edit : Also, since I did ping them on discord to look at this, if they don't say anything I'll take it as a statement of 'I do not care'.
Given that we share the ship for virtually all intents and purposes (we can't individually decide to haul different cargo types or appoint crew members, for instance), I feel like it's a lot healthier and simpler to treat shares as shares of the ship rather than the ownership of cargo spaces it is in law.

Switching to Low-G Crops for the return trip is kind of a weird alternative, but acceptable.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 03, 2020, 07:20:58 pm »

Given that we share the ship for virtually all intents and purposes (we can't individually decide to haul different cargo types or appoint crew members, for instance), I feel like it's a lot healthier and simpler to treat shares as shares of the ship rather than the ownership of cargo spaces it is in law.
This is what I think as well. It's not about the unused space, which would be the same anyway, it's just about making sense.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2020, 06:17:58 am »

Sorry guys, we took an internal vote and we must at this time reject your proposed contract.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 04, 2020, 12:15:27 pm »

Do you have any unused space left in your spaceship?
Or perhaps woud you want to move to higher paying goods but don't have enough money to fill the hold?

Sublight trading is here to help you! we are willing to pay, in advance,for lunar goods to be delivered here at Earth. Just load more of what you would otherwise take. The advantage for you? mor eimmediate money to achieve higher profit. For me?  goods provided at a discount compared to current home market value. But after all, such a great service can't be free, can it?

If you seek to maximize your profits and the use of your spaceships, contact Sublight trading corporation!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 04, 2020, 02:36:30 pm »

Sorry guys, we took an internal vote and we must at this time reject your proposed contract.
So are we switching to Low-G Edible Flora or a hostile company model?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 04, 2020, 03:51:50 pm »

Redacted because of shareholder feedback.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 03:58:12 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 04, 2020, 04:10:26 pm »

And what shareholder feedback on the 'low g foodies' idea has been very negative, so... I don't want to be the face of oppression, but it'd only be one extra credit for people with 20 cargo space anyway, so hopefully I won't be murdered for this.

[X] TMC
Buy 15 Authentic Meats from Home market.
Load 15 Authentic Meats and ^2 on MeMerchantVessel#1
Send MerMerchantVessel#1 to Mun to sell Authentic Meats and to purchase Heavy Elements.

Spoiler: TMC Assets (click to show/hide)

Forenia Forever!

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 04, 2020, 04:33:56 pm »

I offer the following contract to SIGS:

Quote from: Munority Shareholders Coalition contract
Upon effectuation of this contract, the Munority Shareholders Coalition will immediately be created. Its membership shall comprise Systems Holdings®, Ltd. (SYS) and Superintelligent Goldfish Solutions® (SIGS); additional members may join with future contracts. The purpose of the Munority Shareholders Coalition shall be to administer all held shares of its members in any ships in which its members together represent minority shareholders, a category initially consisting of MerchantVessel#1, henceforth codenamed Munity. The Munority Shareholders Coalition shall take action to subvert or obtain majority ownership of such ships for its members when possible. Upon effectuation of this contract, Systems Holdings®, Ltd. (SYS) and Superintelligent Goldfish Solutions® (SIGS) shall each contribute 85 credits to the joint account of the Munority Shareholders Coalition. The Munority Shareholders Coalition will then purchase ten units of Authentic Meats and load them onto Munity along with the remaining credits in its joint account, to be delivered to the Mun and sold, whereupon it shall attempt to purchase ten units of Low-G Edible Flora and load them onto the Munity for return to the Earth, unless this loading should prove impossible at the time, in which case Heavy Elements shall be substituted. If there is an opportunity to load Low-G Edible Flora onto the Munity before any other cargo is loaded therein, that opportunity will be taken.

Signed,
-Systems Holdings®, Ltd. (SYS)
-[Pending SIGS sigs.]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10