Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24

Author Topic: Numbercurse - Competitive - The Curse has been Lifted  (Read 31989 times)

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
Re: Salmeuk's Community Competition - Welcome to Numbercurse!
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2020, 09:54:42 am »

Radipon, congratulations on your victory.

There's something hilariously ironic about your dwarf being the only unhappy one in the fort.

I am (obviously) signing up for the second year, and I am, once again, picking the expedition leader.

Or, put another way, I'm picking a completely worthless dwarf, whose first job will be go into a hastily-built office, and bookkeep his way into a complete inventory of the fort.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2020, 06:06:14 pm »

I think it's mostly from farming in the rain. It will get better over time.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2020, 07:41:58 am »

Radipon, congratulations on your victory.

There's something hilariously ironic about your dwarf being the only unhappy one in the fort.

I took a look at Radipon's moodlets:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That's quite the rainbow of pain and pleasure. I forgot to mention this earlier, but Radipon was the only one to actually lose a dwarf during the first year. Quite ominous.

In any case, here is the next score item, admittedly plain in nature, but I believe it to be an interesting challenge nontheless, considering the current drink-less state of our fortress:

Brew as much booze as possible, of any variety or quality stored in barrels or pots as you see fit, and stock these barrels in a single, gigantic vault. No quantum stockpiles will be counted, nor will booze barrels left in workshops or scattered amongst the hallways and crevices of your fortress. Only those barrels* part of the singular BOOZE VAULT stockpile** will be counted at the end of the year.

*I will be counting the barrels and pots that contain any amount of booze, and not the individual units of booze. There might be a way to game this!
**you can have multiple stockpile designations within the vault, but they must be contiguous.

Looks like Radipon's dwarf read my mind:

The game is on! Don't forget to post what dwarf you are picking for this year. If you wish to switch dwarves, Radipon, that is also acceptable. You can d/l the save here, though I haven't modified it at all, so if you already got it from the earlier post that's fine.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

Nice ! Let the booze flow !! I'll have play-time on Friday I think, but I have many interresting ideas.

I'll dorf as Ducim Zanegroth. The 11 years old child. That way, when I turn adult next year, I'll be able to drink aaaaaall the booze we acumulated.
EDIT : Looks like I grow adult early Spring... Ahh well. I'll contribute to booze production then ! :P

Why do we "need" to dorf only ourserlves btw ? Should we not dorf every player in every timelime ?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 08:01:44 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile

Yo ho, yo ho, the (magma) sea's made of booze!

Or at least, it we'll have enough booze that it seems like it by year's end.  :P

I have dorfed myself as Datan Zonotil, now 'QD' Zonotil.

EDIT: Oh... Radipon's dorf is already getting haunted by the ghost of her dead lover.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:04:58 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

Little teaser :

Wake up dorfs !
All these shiny statues... And you thought we were in the Metal age ? You were wrong !
This is actually the Wood age ! We need many, many materials for rapid expansions, and wood is good for that !

We need barrels for booze, we need beds, we need barrels for booze, we need tables and chairs for happiness, and we need barrels for booze.
We need to brew like there's no tomorrow.
The brewers will be busy, but we'll need tons of barrels. Wood barrels. They are lighter. They are better. Wood is plentifull for now. Let's use it !

Time to go !! Quick ! Quick ! We are relocating to the surface ! Closer to the trees ! Now, grab your axes, we have a forest to destroy !

Hooo... And this booze I've been speaking of... Forget about drinking it ! See this murky pool there ? This is your new friend.

OOC : We are horrible, horrible people. Mass-producing drinks, and the dwarves won't have any of it...
But the wiki states one dwarf consumes 20 drinks per year. That's an unacceptable cut in our margins !

Poor gal Urist Mc Alcoholic has been grouchy lately... I wonder how she'll feel after a year of water diet...
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 09:59:46 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2020, 10:35:14 am »

**you can have multiple stockpile designations within the vault, but they must be contiguous.
Does that imply single level? Or can you use multiple Z levels? Do you allow other things in the vault? Decorative pillars? Stairs?

While I would reasonably expect to be able to use pillars and stairs and other things of the sort, I also would expect that you don't want anything else in the stockpile (like leftover rocks). Z level is the primary reason for this question.

Also
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:46:16 am by applet »
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why do we "need" to dorf only ourserlves btw ? Should we not dorf every player in every timelime ?

If your dwarf dies, you 'lose', though it really means you just have to savescum until your dwarf doesn't die (my rule about infinite savescumming is a tad OP, but I don't think there's any other way to do it, since any rules about limited savescumming would be waaay too tempting to cheat around). And there is no rule against locking your dwarf in a pit or whatever. Also nice pick, I wondered if anyone would choose a kid!

Does that imply single level? Or can you use multiple Z levels? Do you allow other things in the vault? Decorative pillars? Stairs?

While I would reasonably expect to be able to use pillars and stairs and other things of the sort, I also would expect that you don't want anything else in the stockpile (like leftover rocks). Z level is the primary reason for this question.

Thank you for this question, it will be good to clarify. It must be on the same z-level (for the grandeur and the challenge), but it can have 'holes' in it. Let me cook up some examples..

'+' = floor / pillar / stray stone / stairs / dead goblin / child / dead llama / demon / dead demon / pile of vomit / etc.
'=' = empty booze stockpile
'0' = booze stockpile with booze container present
Code: [Select]
++++++++++
++++++++++
++++++++++          Empty Vault Floor
++++++++++
++++++++++

+00000000+
+00000000+
+===0===+                   Valid Booze Vault
+00000000+
+00000000+

+===0===+
+===0===+
+===0===+          Valid
+===0===+
+===0===+

+==0=====+
++++++++0+
+=====0==+          Valid
+=++++++++
+==0===0=+

+===0===+
+===0===+
+++++++++        Invalid ( I would count the larger half of the stockpiles)
+===0===+
+===0===+

+++++==+++
++++=++=++
+++=++++=+          Invalid (stockpile must be orthogonal to one another), technically largest stockpile at the top with space for 2 barrels
++=++++++=
+=++++++=+

Essentially I just want a large room filled with booze, the little details are no problem to me, but it does need to be on a single level, and the stockpile / stockpiles must be orthogonal to one another, though the booze barrels present on those stockpiles can be scattered about. Ultimately there is a maximum score for this challenge, dictated by the size of embark, but I don't believe anyone can reach that limit in 1 year. Prove me wrong I dare you

This means that not only must you consider booze production and all that goes into it (plant / fruit harvesting, barrelmaking / potcarving, brewing and citizen consumption rates) but also the construction of this vault-space and the logistics of filling it. Do you dig a larger vault, and ignore the stray stone? Or do you dig less but haul that stone out for a more efficient usage of space? How big and what shape of vault will you construct? And where is it placed, in relation to the above booze production? Lots of questions that should make for a varied and interesting challenge.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 12:01:17 pm by Salmeuk »

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Put another way, it has to be able to explode in a chain reaction..? (or at least if full)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 12:16:26 pm by applet »
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Put another way, it has to be able to explode in a chain reaction..? (or at least if full)

Exactly. I have always dreamnt of a truly flammable booze, or at least the ability to fill pools with liquids other than lava and water. In the current state, don't you need some kind of dragonflame or burning artifact to set off spilled booze? And that's what causes a massive flame? I haven't seen anyone even mention the subject for years so I can't remember.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile

You guys are in luck, I'm in the middle of making exploding booze raws :D (raws as normal just boil it away unfortunately)
The hard part is testing the damn things since !!urist mctester!! tends not to be around very much

The 3 difficulties arise as follows
1. getting the ignition point low enough so that it can be set on fire, without alcohol exploding immediately in scorching embarks.
2. !!urist mconfire!! going to test the booze before dying or being dragged to the hospital
3. creating a chain reaction

I'm currently mostly through part 1, part 2 i solved via a little thing known as modded race+spawned teleported goblin

I would have loved to join this honestly, but i just have too much on irl atm. like the exam i just came home from that booted me out the first round (and smithsoldier) before i could sign up
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 05:31:05 pm by recon1o6 »
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2020, 03:48:19 pm »

I play adventure mode way too much, and came up with the most wonderful idea, except for the fact that it does not work in fortress mode. If anyone can get it to work feel free to steal it, as I do not really have time to join anyhow. I was intrigued by the wording I've highlighted in red.

I will be counting the barrels and pots that contain any amount of booze, and not the individual units of booze. There might be a way to game this!

Now since you can have a well laced with vampire blood, and have an infinite source of infective water, you should also be able to have an infinite source of water laced with booze right? And if you can fill barrels with this laced water, it would still fall under the definition as set out by Salmeuk, because technically it still contains a trace amount of booze.

Alas, my plans for a homeopathic brewery were foiled by reality. I can not find a way to fill barrels with water in fortress mode (filling minecarts works and I thought the mechanics would be the same but that is not the case) I can also not find an easy way to get booze out of barrels to contaminate the well ( I have some ideas but they will likely not work on this embark). Also even in adventure mode (where filling of barrels and contamination is no issue) I can not get the water in the barrels to register as being laced with alcohol, I had expected that to just show up in the description.

Oh well, at least the idea of having an entire embark level full of barrels of laced water, and winning the competition by exploiting the wording of the contract was fun while it lasted.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 04:34:32 pm by Bralbaard »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2020, 06:38:52 pm »

Oh well, at least the idea of having an entire embark level full of barrels of laced water, and winning the competition by exploiting the wording of the contract was fun while it lasted.

so is that a 'yes', I will be playing? lol

I swear, anytime you try to host a basic online competition, some rule hound will come out of the woodwork and confound your expectations of "reasonable interpretation." It's why I wasted like an hour trying to code-ify the rules in the OP. So I think it's only fair you wasted your own time as well.

You guys are in luck, I'm in the middle of making exploding booze raws :D (raws as normal just boil it away unfortunately)
The hard part is testing the damn things since !!urist mctester!! tends not to be around very much

The 3 difficulties arise as follows
1. getting the ignition point low enough so that it can be set on fire, without alcohol exploding immediately in scorching embarks.
2. !!urist mconfire!! going to test the booze before dying or being dragged to the hospital
3. creating a chain reaction

I'm currently mostly through part 1, part 2 i solved via a little thing known as modded race+spawned teleported goblin

I would have loved to join this honestly, but i just have too much on irl atm. like the exam i just came home from that booted me out the first round (and smithsoldier) before i could sign up

Hey, jump in at a later round! No worries there. I am certainly intrigued by your attempt to explode booze.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile

Drink production is one of those things I figured out after fort 1 and never thought about again after queuing it in management. Min-maxing it with two years of migrant manpower though...

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile

Heavily abridged fortress report: I've played spring last two evenings, and I'm profoundly disappointed:

- as a rule everything is ridiculously slow.
- the dwarf I wanted to appoint as broker fecked off during the whole trade period, leaving some rando to get that sweet, sweet point in Appraisal.
- and lastly, the migrant wave has arrived extremely late (2nd of Felsite, thanks a lot), and ended up having an absurd number of children - over 1/3rd of the fort is unavailable for work. I don’t count the baby, s/he was born to a woodcutter right as the migrants have arrived.

Between the stupid-huge number of children and the extremely late arrival of migrants, I will perform the fort’s first reset. I’ll revert to Radipon’s save, and hope that the migrant arrival date is NOT set already.

As always, Saturday is my dwarf day.

Commands used so far: prospect (without any reveal, as agreed) and getplants. This was used to mark trees for cutting, and will be used again.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 24