Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24

Author Topic: Numbercurse - Competitive - The Curse has been Lifted  (Read 31961 times)

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I THINK that DF rolls the month (or seasons?) events on the first day then rolls then out on you. That could include migrant waves.

This is real shaky, though. Old ideas from old posts. No idea of the factual content there.

This is my understanding too. If you change popcaps, they only take effect the next season, or rather, the next time the game calculates potential migrant counts.

I've started a second run, with 0 for both child caps.. But still got 3 migrant children in during summer wave, despite setting the cap at 1 granite. Unsure what any of that means.

Same thing. Essentially, exactly as Spring hit, the game pulled the settings from .init and determined the migrant wave for the summer season. Now that you have the setting at '0', Autumn should have 0 children migrating, unless I am totally mistaken.

Yeah no. Autumn brought a couple of children as well.

Update, take 2 complete:

Deaths: 10
Freakin undead.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Think I will try a woodless run as well, not because I think it will be more effective, but more out of spite for this trainwreck.

Found a slightly better way to count containers. DFHack can list the contents of stockpiles ('i'), which you then can search for "barrel (", degroup, save the number, forbid all the listed items, then search for "pot (", exclude forbidden items (this gets rid of stupid potato wine in barrels), total up the number. Repeat for each stockpile.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 02:07:03 pm by applet »
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I THINK that DF rolls the month (or seasons?) events on the first day then rolls then out on you. That could include migrant waves.

This is real shaky, though. Old ideas from old posts. No idea of the factual content there.

This is my understanding too. If you change popcaps, they only take effect the next season, or rather, the next time the game calculates potential migrant counts.

I've started a second run, with 0 for both child caps.. But still got 3 migrant children in during summer wave, despite setting the cap at 1 granite. Unsure what any of that means.

Same thing. Essentially, exactly as Spring hit, the game pulled the settings from .init and determined the migrant wave for the summer season. Now that you have the setting at '0', Autumn should have 0 children migrating, unless I am totally mistaken.

Yeah no. Autumn brought a couple of children as well.

Ah, I remember now, the liason must arrive and report back to the mountainhome the changes. So it looks like next year the changes will take effect.

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile

Hunters are the greatest peril on this map. The potential to create unstoppable killing machines is vast.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 03:40:09 pm by Radipon »

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you sure we're supposed to make pots out of this?

¨

Run 3 "reduced wood" complete, and wasn't higher then previous, only reaching around
but decidedly less problems with the undead.
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile

Well, I only have
so there's little point in uploading. Instead, I'll just put down some pretty pictures:

Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I only have
so there's little point in uploading. Instead, I'll just put down some pretty pictures:

Are you sure its
? It looks more like

Unless there's a lot of non-booze barrels
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:56:32 pm by applet »
Ledpaddled

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile

Three runs in, and I haven't managed to break above the
mark. Not sure if I should try for a fourth, or keep the current one.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile

Are you sure its
? It looks more like

I have 4 stockpiles total:
Total:
. Unless I failed basic addition (which is entirely possible, seeing as it’s 11PM and I have a glass of wine onboard).

I tried to keep stockpiles in multiples of 10, to keep counts simple. I really hope that there aren’t any stray empty barrels; there shouldn’t be, because I have 23 idlers, and plenty of room in the ‘container (non-metal)’ stockpile.

EDIT: Screw it, here's the save.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 03:19:42 pm by StrikaAmaru »
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile

I ran into some brief bottlenecks when plump helmets stopped getting replanted, and don't think reverting to autumn would get the count past 1400. And then there was the incident with a reanimated hauler.

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you sure its
? It looks more like

I have 4 stockpiles total:
Total:
. Unless I failed basic addition (which is entirely possible, seeing as it’s 11PM and I have a glass of wine onboard).

I tried to keep stockpiles in multiples of 10, to keep counts simple. I really hope that there aren’t any stray empty barrels; there shouldn’t be, because I have 23 idlers, and plenty of room in the ‘container (non-metal)’ stockpile.

EDIT: Screw it, here's the save.

Checked your save, it's my eyes that need calibrating, not your maths.

Also found some non-booze barrels in your stockpiles. I think perhaps there seems to always be 1 barrel per stockpile thats empty.

Also found a seed barrel in your 69 stockpile, top left corner. I guess the dwarves were quick to put it in before you restricted it.

I ran into some brief bottlenecks when plump helmets stopped getting replanted, and don't think reverting to autumn would get the count past 1400. And then there was the incident with a reanimated hauler.
During my latest try I ran with almost exclusively plump helmets, which turned out to be the bottleneck in the end. 200 spawn max limit is not enough to keep 50 dwarves occupied. Not what I expected.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 04:25:53 pm by applet »
Ledpaddled

Radipon

• Bay Watcher
  • Soapen Avatar of Vesh
    • View Profile

Yeah, my setup was combo of plump helmets, surface crops, and a map covered in gathering zones, so drink variety is at least tops.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, nice work everyone. Still a couple of days left, but seeing as it's weekdays I'm guessing some of us are a little busy. Please upload your saves even if you didn't win! I want to keep doing the post-round writeups as I find it interesting to look over your fortresses.

Maybe I should put a rule against posting your scores early - it's kind of a downer to know you already lost, and anyways it's more fun to announce the winner and have it be kind of surprising. Do you guys think we should try to keep it more of a secret until I can count the saves?

Also interesting to see that the bottleneck is the plant production and not the other steps. Surprising to me, but I didn't try my hand at this challenge.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile

Yeah, my setup was combo of plump helmets, surface crops, and a map covered in gathering zones, so drink variety is at least tops.

Likewise. 4 gathering zones, and 10 dedicated gatherers, with associated stepladders. All done after the 'useless' trees got chopped (and I still got some macadamia nuts from somewhere). Looking back on it, my fort population was pretty equally split between herbalists (10), farmers (at most 13), brewers (8-11, there was some overlap with farming), and haulers (11). Outdoor cereals have been the main crops, only because there were so many - two kinds of amaranth, rice, maize and rye. Plus sweet potatoes, jute, and the classical prickle berries.

I'm half-thinking about a 'realistic farming' mod; I always hesitate to start it, because it's going to start with a lot of research. About actual plants, and about DF modding.

Also found some non-booze barrels in your stockpiles. I think perhaps there seems to always be 1 barrel per stockpile that's empty.

Also found a seed barrel in your 69 stockpile, top left corner. I guess the dwarves were quick to put it in before you restricted it.

Damn it! I forgot about the empty barrel! And yes, I have recurring issues with forgetting to set up stockpiles properly; there was a short time when dwarves have moved loose seeds from the stills into the stockpile. I noticed and marked them for dumping, but I guess the barrel was already started?

... So, final score:

[Edit] By the way, I'm going to post the usual ultra-elaborate fortress reports, but this time in spoilers; I have no chance of winning, so I'll make them easily skippable.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:47:32 am by StrikaAmaru »

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

Hell yeah !!! ;D

I'm currently playing my turn.
I won't go as crazy as Rapidion did (gulaag style and stuff) : I created a nice cistern/well, a nice meeting hall and individual bedrooms...
I won't savescum migrants waves. Though I quicksave a lot and if something goes wrong. I'll revert.

I'm currently giving the fertilizer route a try.

EDIT :
Hoo, I'm nice enough to give them rooms, but I'm not too nice either.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 06:14:31 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile

Aaaand... Save is done !

A lot of things happened. I won't count the amount of alcohol I produced. I want Salmeuk to do it I want to keep the suspence :P

@Sal : I'll PM you my save / "journal"

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 10:39:11 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 24