Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Multiverse Mecha Mayhem - Mission 1 has Begun (OOC Thread)  (Read 5780 times)

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiverse Mecha Mayhem - Sign-Ups (OOC Thread)
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2020, 07:41:07 pm »

I'd like some more input, both on the mech skills that I explained and asked for further input on, and for my Pilot traits since I'm now effectively done with everything but the flavor aspect of my sheet.

I also hope there are other games like this in the future, because god I just keep getting new ideas.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 07:42:47 pm by Failbird105 »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 08:04:14 pm »

Means lots of backup characters should you die, then!

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2020, 10:09:25 pm »

For Call of the Deep, the 2 success/4 dice comes from the fact that I wasn't really sure what it would merit. I feel like I'll probably go with 4 dice though.
The extra cost comes from the fact that the AoE is both non-optional(meaning every use costs the extra amount for AoE), and doesn't differentiate between Friend and Foe(which I felt would merit less cost than normal AoE), I'd like to know how it should be handled if not that(I'm not against making it almost objectively better by making it regular optional AoE, I just kinda want to keep the double edged sword aspect because that's sorta this characters 'gimmick')

I misread, sorry. You're right, it should be 6 SP, not 4. I am fine with keeping it double-edged and non-optional in that way, it fits what you're aiming for.

And yeah, Range 1 is fine on Submerge, I just didn't know how to word it with the system given.

No worries. I know how funky of a system I've made.

As for Regrow, it's meant more as the double-edged heal, but one that can be used to hit an enemy extra hard in a pinch. What changes would you recommend for that?

I'd drop the debuff to -1 to all rolls for a turn, and the target is marked for the rest of the battle to trigger Gnaw's conditional or similar abilities. Then you can either do 3 healing per DS for 3 SP cost, or 2 healing per DS for 0 SP cost. If it proves to be too overpowered it might need tweaking but that should be fine. We'll see how it works in battle.

Anything else I need to look over or talk about? I haven't been feeling the best so I might have missed something.

Means lots of backup characters should you die, then!

I would honestly be shocked if anyone died in this game. The mechanics are very forgiving.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2020, 10:22:33 pm »

I misread, sorry. You're right, it should be 6 SP, not 4. I am fine with keeping it double-edged and non-optional in that way, it fits what you're aiming for.

No worries. I know how funky of a system I've made.

I'd drop the debuff to -1 to all rolls for a turn, and the target is marked for the rest of the battle to trigger Gnaw's conditional or similar abilities. Then you can either do 3 healing per DS for 3 SP cost, or 2 healing per DS for 0 SP cost. If it proves to be too overpowered it might need tweaking but that should be fine. We'll see how it works in battle.

Anything else I need to look over or talk about? I haven't been feeling the best so I might have missed something.
Alright, I'll make the changes when I get the chance tomorrow. As for other things, I mean, you can take a look at my Pilots traits as well, but you don't have to. I'd just like to know if there are any problems before the traits come up in game.

...I also just now realize that there's no passive SP regen without a dedicated tile, I... may need to consider modifying Gnaw to have an SP regen effect that only applies to enemies with the required afflictions instead of the healing one. She's already got a mitigating finisher and active healing ability after all.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2020, 10:26:30 pm »

I would honestly be shocked if anyone died in this game. The mechanics are very forgiving.

I don't even see a death mechanic.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 07:36:01 pm »

Alright, I'll make the changes when I get the chance tomorrow. As for other things, I mean, you can take a look at my Pilots traits as well, but you don't have to. I'd just like to know if there are any problems before the traits come up in game.

I already looked over them and they were fine, so I didn't bring them up.

...I also just now realize that there's no passive SP regen without a dedicated tile, I... may need to consider modifying Gnaw to have an SP regen effect that only applies to enemies with the required afflictions instead of the healing one. She's already got a mitigating finisher and active healing ability after all.

There will always be at least one area dedicated to recovering SP, but given positioning it might be worth having some kind of SP regen. Mechs will get upgrades as the game progresses, so you can always wait for later. Just something to keep in mind.

I don't even see a death mechanic.

Hence my shock if anyone would die.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 08:44:22 pm »

Hence my shock if anyone would die.

Don't say that, I might try to do it.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2020, 09:49:26 pm »

snip
Noice

I just realized that I also never actually found myself with the chance to fix my sheet either(was busy keeping a child on task doing his online schoolwork.), so uh, I'll make the final fixes and additions when I get around to it.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2020, 12:50:50 pm »

It's been a week and I'd like to start next week, though I don't think that 3 applicants is quite enough. Is there anything I can do to help everyone thinking about making a sheet?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2020, 02:42:39 pm »

It's been a week and I'd like to start next week, though I don't think that 3 applicants is quite enough. Is there anything I can do to help everyone thinking about making a sheet?
Can I get a sense of what a typical battle will look like? In terms of map size, number of enemies, and so on?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2020, 03:15:46 pm »

Might want to advertise on one of the Bay Discords. The FEF Discord might be a good idea; there's a reasonable overlap of mecha fans and FEF fans (speaking from an entirely unbiased point of view, definitely, yes).

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2020, 04:51:04 pm »

Can I get a sense of what a typical battle will look like? In terms of map size, number of enemies, and so on?

I am undoubtably going to have to tweak things as the game progresses and my sense of what is reasonable/fair changes based on how the players do things and handle challenges. But for the first map, it's going to be 6~7 areas long and 3~5 areas across, have 2 enemies that require multiple finishers, a number of enemies that require a single finisher roughly equal to player count, and a handful of enemies that die as soon as they reach 0 HP. So that's over 10 enemies for 4 players, which should die over a couple of turns. I'm aiming for most maps to be completed in 5 or 6 turns since I know how long play by post games take. Additionally no enemy is going to have more than 2 in Defence and only a couple will have more than that in Support. Attack is more variable, since it's dependent on what players put on defence, but it's probably going to be greater than 3 to make sure that the enemies can land some hits and be threatening.

Is that helpful?

Might want to advertise on one of the Bay Discords. The FEF Discord might be a good idea; there's a reasonable overlap of mecha fans and FEF fans (speaking from an entirely unbiased point of view, definitely, yes).

Well joining a Discord just to advertise my game is kinda scummy so... We'll see.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2020, 06:57:33 pm »

Is that helpful?
Very much so, thank you!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2020, 12:27:44 am »

Spoiler: Better Late Than Never (click to show/hide)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2020, 02:20:08 pm »

-snip-

You aren't late, you're right on time. Everything looks good with your character as well, so I have nothing to nitpick.

Anyways. That's four applicants all sorted out Is there anything wrong with starting the game in the next couple of days? Anyone who's been silent so far that's been working on a sheet? I am going to start the game with a small talking section to answer any questions that you guys might have about the mission before quickly transitioning into a battle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6