Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Architect of scales (Now with a Map!)  (Read 3417 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Architect of scales
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2020, 11:54:03 am »

CA

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2020, 01:52:39 pm »

CA

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2020, 03:01:05 pm »

CA - We have no other option for getting Raw Wealth atm, and a quick surge of BM means we don't need to acquire more to build the advanced buildings (like the Human/Dwarven style Shelters)
I'm betting that building a mining camp will unlock a forge option for RW. I'm in a hurry to get the forge up as soon as our food is secure, so we can get weapons and tools, which I expect will unlock the ability to dig out more space.

We don't have any timers yet, like a rival nearby or an army coming. As I see it, the only rush to get wealth is to get another POP, and to get more event opportunities. Getting another POP before we have food secured is a little dangerous, and I'm not sure I want it.
Reading the rules has me expecting that one of our big mid-game struggles will be expanding fast enough to keep all our incoming POPs fed, housed, and happy. I don't want to hurry that by getting this wealth, especially at the expense of our first opportunity to defend ourselves.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2020, 02:42:47 am »

Event Followup:
CA

The runner was sent to the Elven camps with news of your arrival. You can expect migrants as soon as next turn!

You decide to provide the iron-worker with the help he needs. He spends the day driving a collection of iron stakes into the rocks at various points, and clearing land where he expects things to fall. After a few days, as the sun is setting, he declares that he is ready.
The last rays of sunlight reflect off the polished iron of the stakes and the entire formation seems to sparkle. The iron-worker produces hammer and strikes the final stake, a clear metallic ringing echoing out over the camp. For a moment nothing seems to happen, and then all at once the entire formation splits with a deafening crack of sound. Smaller cracks spiderweb out from there, and the entire formation collapses in a pile of rubble. A ragged cheer goes up from the exhausted Kobolds below, and gemstones and geodes sparkle in the last of the light.

At dawn the next day you survey the rubble with the iron-worker. He seems rather pleased with himself. The formation was a giant geode, and while the hollow interior has robbed you of some of the expected stone, you have far more gemstones than you would have suspected. Additionally, the iron-worker revels to you a seemingly polished orb of blue-green color, no larger than a marble. A geode pearl, he tells you. A wisp of magic that became trapped withing the hollow stone when the world was born, and encased in gem over the eons. This is a Treasure, and an unexpected find. It could be sold for a great deal, or possibly made into an artifact one day. For now, it is tied into a grass rope necklace, and worn on your person for safe keeping.

You have gained:
+ 3 BM, + 5 RW, and 1 Treasure.

Construction Phase:

Your Kobolds are hard at work hauling stone and sorting gems by the fist full. You have no Labor to spend this turn!

Sit tight for now. Maybe i'll draw a map for the next update. :)

Spoiler: Construction Options (click to show/hide)
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2020, 07:35:57 am »

Construction

You Kobolds finish clearing the rubble and counting the gems. The rock is no more but memory now.
No other construction has taken place today due to the work.

Events:

The runner has returned! And with him comes a small group of kobolds, refuges from the Elven camps. Their eyes are scared and hopeful, and they carry only a scant few possessions with them. They are quick to line up for rations, and by the look of it they quite need the food. You feel proud that you can offer these people a home.

Alongside the new faces, your runner hands you a map! He made it himself he explains. Mappmaking is not a traditional skill for kobolds, but then, neither is iron-working or city building you think to yourself. The lad clearly looks up to you, and waits expectantly as you review it. It's mostly empty. The high wilderness is not a well known land. It marks the location of your settlement on the edge of the steppes, and the great forests stretching away to the south.
"It's quite nice" you tell him and he beams at you, promising another version in the future.
Perhaps one day it will be more filled in you think to yourself.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
You have gained +1 Population. Yes, they will eat at the end of this turn.

Goblins!!

Goblins have been sighted approaching the camp, likely a local group of scouts or hunters curious about your settlement. Goblins are a tribal culture who have always been in conflict with the civilized peoples. It is not unheard of for them to cooperate with kobolds and other fringe species though, and they likely know the land here far better than you.

Your iron-worker suggests that you chase them off. If they are not your enemies now, they likely will be soon as the camp grows. Dealing with them at all could complicate relations with other species later on, though that will likely already be a complicated matter.
You runner however urges that you greet them. They likely know the land far better than you, and could prove instrumental in helping your settlement to survive out here in the far wilderness. He suggests that in time they could even become allies. Something you are sorely lacking right now. Then again, he is probably only hoping for safer roads for his own work.

A. Chase them off. There are only a few, and they are likely only lightly armed, if at all.
B. Show them hospitality in the hopes of fostering relations

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2020, 07:43:10 am »

B - We have barely any defence, so I'm not convinced scaring them off would work, assuming we even wanted to make enemies right now

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Architect of scales (Now with a Map!)
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2020, 08:03:17 am »

B even if it will require us to defend later, chasing them off will mean we need to defend from goblins now, which unlikely to happen.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2020, 08:14:49 am »

B perhaps they may one day reach civilization as well alongside us.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2020, 08:18:06 am »

B I don't mind complicated relations with other species.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2020, 10:26:39 am »

A. I'm worried that we would have to pay tribute soon, and would rather make an enemy of goblins instead of civilized races. Plus, we don't have any spare food to feed them with.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2020, 10:47:15 am »

Events:

The other civilizations are far away, and the goblins are right here. Plus they could have rocks or sharp sticks or even a bad attitude. You shudder at the thought. Best to play nice for now.
You have your runner invite them into the camp so that you can prepare. You look around for something impressive to sit on, but there's not much built yet. You settle for a particularly large rock, and take a moment to soak in some sun while you wait. Mmm, sun. That's nice.

There are three goblins total, and they seem mostly unarmed. One carries a walking stick which you eye suspiciously, and walks ahead of the other two.

"Greetings Kobold!" he calls out in the common tongue.
"quite a little operation you got running here"

You chat together for a while about your situation. He claims to be from a small goblin village to the southwest. These lands are a part of their hunting grounds and he suggests that your unannounced intrusion might be more than a little upsetting to his chief.

"Course, it doesn't look like you've been doing too much hunting as of yet" he says with a grin.
"Tell you what. I could set you up a meeting with our chief, even put in a good word for you to start with. I bet you could come to an agreement together"

"And what's in it for you?" you inquire. He grins even wider.

"oh, just a little trinket maybe for mine time. We don't much value gold or jewels like them folks out east, but how about... that pretty necklace you're wearing?"
his eyes glint with hunger. He is a goblin through and through.

A. "Very well. One beaded necklance for one metting with the cheif. Deal"
B. Attempt to negotiate payment of a different kind.
C. "Thank you for your generous offer, but this is not an issue I believe I require your help with."
D. "Somebody, get this creature out of my sight." (throw him out of your camp)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2020, 10:48:48 am »

A
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2020, 10:52:40 am »

B
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2020, 11:02:37 am »

A geode pearl, he tells you. A wisp of magic that became trapped withing the hollow stone when the world was born, and encased in gem over the eons. This is a Treasure, and an unexpected find. It could be sold for a great deal, or possibly made into an artifact one day. For now, it is tied into a grass rope necklace, and worn on your person for safe keeping.

Let's not give some random goblin a bold, capital T Treasure.

Instead,B.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2020, 11:44:18 am »

C.

He says they don't value gold or jewels, and we have 0 spare food. Unless they want rocks or 5 labor, we'll have nothing other than the TREASURE that we even can trade with him or his chieftain before we get metalworking up in a few turns.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6