Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: History progressing during play  (Read 1820 times)

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
History progressing during play
« on: August 25, 2020, 09:29:32 pm »

I have a quick question: I have a seed at the moment where the only dwarven mountainhome is conquered by elves in the year 79. If I stop world generation before this (say, year 75) and embark, will the mountainhomes still be conquered 4 years later? Or does the new fort's presence alter what will happen as history advances?

If the mountain is taken over by elves, what will be the result for the new fort? Just no more migrants?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: History progressing during play
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 09:46:59 pm »

In-game world history has a lot of differences to regular worldgen, so I suspect the initial worldgen seed won't have an effect. Now, the factors that made the elves attack the mountainhome will still exist so they may still attack, but I don't think you can guarantee the outcome.

That said, Toady is planning prophets who really can read the future, so that much groundwork may actually have already been done behind the scenes. Probably not though.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 01:20:14 am »

DF will generate void dorfs if it can't find any "real" ones to send as migrants and a loss of the mountainhome may lead to one of your dorfs becoming the new monarch (if the old one gets killed rather than managed to flee). You may also lose caravans for some time, but I believe they'll resume once the fighting is over (the reasons for why caravans sometimes are absent for years on end and then suddenly resume aren't particularly well known, I think).

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 05:55:57 am »

DF will generate void dorfs if it can't find any "real" ones to send as migrants and a loss of the mountainhome may lead to one of your dorfs becoming the new monarch (if the old one gets killed rather than managed to flee). You may also lose caravans for some time, but I believe they'll resume once the fighting is over (the reasons for why caravans sometimes are absent for years on end and then suddenly resume aren't particularly well known, I think).

I've noted these void dwarves coming to my mountainhome! How many of them come, do you know? It's gone well past the first two waves now; none of them have relatives.