Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32

Author Topic: The Fall of Goldsilver Succession Fort – Democracy Suspended  (Read 60903 times)

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
Re: Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #315 on: March 02, 2021, 07:03:39 am »

I'm willing to be fairly lenient on deadlines so long as content rolls in. I eagerly await to see what tonnot has in store for us.
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 02, 2021, 03:08:47 pm »

4th of Granite

It feels like the fortress might be paralyzed from the amount of corpses strewn all over the place. The lily-livered are too horrified to touch any of it, and there's well over 100 bodies to get rid of on the outer walls. Now, not only do I have to clean that mess up, someone's also been painting political slogans in the stockpiles. Also, did anyone realize that the fortress has an elephant? I only now found it after checking the animals roster, so I assigned it to be trained for war. Even if these mentally crippled loons can't hold a sword, a rampaging elephant will be sure to clear the goblins out of this fort that I've been eyeing!

8th of Granite

A ghost has arisen! I've been told that he was killed in 255, and his body was lost to the caverns. Did the previous overseer just not remember them?

14th of Granite
Kulet has been memorialized now, but one of the electors has slipped into a depression. It seems the trauma of losing her leg has finally caught up with her. Also the training of our Glamour Warriors has been slow, mostly because they're too broken to make it to the training area without throwing a tantrum and getting arrested, or moping around sobbing. Our king has also decided it proper to make us a county!

6th of Slate
New migrants. I've just sent the Glamour Warriors on their way to capture the goblin-occupied fort of Gristlehate. We've received 21 migrants, three teenagers, three warriors, and four more doctors. The rest were a mix of other jobs and plenty of dancers. They don't seem too excited about their welcomeing being a pile of corpses at the gate. Two new electors have been named as well. Someone calling themselves "Lurker" offered his support to the digger's party while raising a newly-claimed pick. This is good, I need more miners. The other elector, Spinnylights... Well she's one of the thirteen year old girls that just moved in. She's been helping with hauling duties but doesn't seem like she's skilled in anything at all yet, so I gave her a pickaxe and sent her to help Lurker in digging an expansion. Also I spoke too soon when I suggested that it was the corpses paralyizing the fortress. Some ugly vultures have been accosting us all month and the marksdwarfs have been of no assistance in taking them down!
Spoiler: New Electors! (click to show/hide)

1st of Felsite

These cripples and madmen took the fort without a fight! Just as they deserved, those cowardly goblins were fed to the dogs! Well its a good thing I didn't immediately send the elephant to go with them, it could be saved for a better fight. Unfortunately they can't be accused of the crimes they comitted while they were leaving. One of the "Broken" I had sent had actually shattered and gone stark-raving mad right as he was leaving the fortress! Now he's just crawling around, babbling incoherently outside of the pyramid...

2nd of Felsite

An artifact bow has been created! This beautiful piece of bowery has been immediately assigned to our marksdwarf captain. Hopefully he'll shoot down many birds with it.

24th of Felsite

While preparing an elegant trap for our ugly underground neighbors, we dug through the top level of that adamantine pillar we found. A great boon for the trials to come. Further probing efforts will need to be made with great care, lest we are to suffer the same fate as the Mountain Halls of Leapedfigures.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

spinnylights

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Leather Dress
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 02, 2021, 06:12:28 pm »

I always love the names of the goblin civs. XD Anyone wants to start a band called "The Bad Apes"?

This diary belongs to Spinnylights Ódiral...not you.
22nd of Slate, 257, Waxing Gibbous Moon

Was it a good idea to strike out on my own like this...? I feel more lonely than I thought I would...It's funny, I was so excited to leave but sometimes I almost want to go back. On the one hand, Goldsilver is surprisingly nice, I guess. I really like the clothes they gave me, I have my own bedroom and it even has a dresser, and the food has been good so far too. But on the other hand there are dead bodies everywhere. Some of them are even pretty old. It's not like I've never seen one before, but I can't exactly say it makes me feel safe. Plus they smell terrible. What is everyone doing around here???

I guess I'm lucky that I got assigned to mining duty. The air is cool down in the tunnels, it's quiet, and all the different rocks are actually really pretty. Way more than all the dead dwarves, that's for sure. I feel so tired at the end of the day but it's actually kind of nice, I don't wake up in the middle of the night at all even though I thought I might get nightmares here. It felt weird using a pick at first but I think I'm getting used to it. I even found a cluster of pyrope garnets yesterday(!!) and I secretly wanted to take the biggest one back to my room but I feel like the overseer might kill me for doing something like that. He seems really intense. It's kind of sad that they'll probably end up cutting them...I wish they would just leave them raw. We could put them in a bowl on the dining table for decoration, I think that would be nice.

The dwarf I got sent to help out, Lurker, is interesting. He's a lot older than me but he's not really old, either. He's new to mining too but he's really into it—he joined the "Diggers' Party" right when we arrived and when I first got down to the tunnels he told me I was really lucky to be given mining duty because it's so important. Apparently he hates going outside at all and thinks we should dig as deep as we can no matter what. It's kind of funny because he also seems sort of antsy, I keep seeing him looking up at the ceiling like he's worried it'll cave in. Who knows...

I still feel a little unsure about the whole democracy thing. Like, it's really neat that we all get to vote, I'm still excited about that...all the stuff about the different "parties" is weird, though. tonnot, the overseer, is in the "Sparkly Unicorn Party" ( :P ) and apparently that one is really into art so that's cool. But they're also kind of like, scary, maybe? I guess I don't really know still. The Diggers' Party seems nice in a way and maybe I would fit in if they keep me on mining duty. The election is months away so I still have time to think about it. I'm going to try not to let it stress me if I can...there's way too much other stuff to freak out about.
Our little Kinsmen — after Rain / In plenty may be seen, / A Cross and Grumbly multitude / The soiled Ground upon // A needless life, it seemed to me / Until a little Roc / As to a Tavern saucily / Advanced and breakfasted. // As I of He, so Armok, me / I pondered, may have judged, / And left the little Mountain-folk / With Wariness enlarged. —–Emily the Poetic Thorns

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 02, 2021, 08:46:02 pm »

You've taken to roleplaying a teenaged dwarf quite quickly! I should note that you are married, but your husband isn't here. Your older sister, Domas Rigothkodor and uncle, Tobul Mengnokgol, are here as well as a surgeon and shearer, respectively. Also seven of your cousins are here but every dwarf has a load of cousins everywhere.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 08:54:16 pm by tonnot98 »
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

spinnylights

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Leather Dress
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 02, 2021, 09:32:09 pm »

You've taken to roleplaying a teenaged dwarf quite quickly! I should note that you are married, but your husband isn't here. Your older sister, Domas Rigothkodor and uncle, Tobul Mengnokgol, are here as well as a surgeon and shearer, respectively. Also seven of your cousins are here but every dwarf has a load of cousins everywhere.

Thanks for the info! The husband is an interesting detail—seems rough  :-[ Do you know his name as well?
Our little Kinsmen — after Rain / In plenty may be seen, / A Cross and Grumbly multitude / The soiled Ground upon // A needless life, it seemed to me / Until a little Roc / As to a Tavern saucily / Advanced and breakfasted. // As I of He, so Armok, me / I pondered, may have judged, / And left the little Mountain-folk / With Wariness enlarged. —–Emily the Poetic Thorns

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 03, 2021, 04:36:43 am »

Our king has also decided it proper to make us a county!
I feel like Goldsilver has been promoted to a county at the beginning of every year for the past few turns. I wonder if it's some sort of glitch related to the nobility system or the fact that the figure the game has assigned the role of "baron" too isn't present at the fortress.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 05, 2021, 01:42:24 am »

9th of Hematite
The Captain of the Guard, Nephilim has snapped and is throwing a tantrum! He quickly beat the bones out of a marksdwarf, and left a peasant in a body-cast! I swear, I saw pure rage in his eyes as he pushed his fist *through* the head of a helmeted soldier! Quickly after, he snapped an elven visitor's neck and I quickly decided to leave the hallway before he saw me. My final orders as overseer were to officially replace him as Captain of the Guard, and pass on the reports of his assaults. I also left a note in the pyramid apologizing for my absence, and declaring my future vote for the Digger's party should they run. Officially, I'm running an errand to a nearby hillock and forfeiting my status as Overseer for the rest of the term. Unofficially, I'm getting the hell out of dodge before that madman decides to tear me in half!

I hope the other electors are safe...

(Sorry about the long wait for no reward. Shit's crazy on my end. But hey, Nephilim slipping into a murderous rampage gives me a convenient plot excuse to step out at least. I added 2 new levels to the pyramid and had the workings of a cave-in trap being made deep underground for our uninvited guests. I at least got rid of the bodies that were everywhere!)
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15455
Meow.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
Re: [ELECTION IN PROGRESS] Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #322 on: March 05, 2021, 05:50:05 am »

Thanks for the content, tonnot. I hope that your dwarf fleeing won’t be the last we see of you in this thread.

The next overseer can play the rest of 257. It’s still early summer, so you really only miss out of a few months of game time.

Journal of Nephilim, Captain of the Black Legion
12th Hematite, 257—As I do not know how the next few days shall turn out, for the sake of the historical record and any that come after me I shall make a record of the past few days.

After months of consideration, it became clear to me that the collaborationist regime of Tonnot Ambermine could not be allowed to continue. So long as he was in power, the entire Stukist movement in Goldsilver which I have spent seven years trying to grow was in danger of being completely destroyed in one single purge. Had I waited long enough it is likely that the entire Black Legion would have been broken up into smaller squads and sent on some death march to heavily-guarded goblin fortresses. As such, I needed to make the first move. During the first few days of summer I prepared my coup with the Black Legion; on the ninth day of the month we put our plan into action.

The plan was simple enough: apprehend Tonnot and remove him from the office of overseer. After that the Black Legion would administer the fortress under a state of emergency until the election in Obsidian. I had the other members of the Legion positioned at various exit points of the mountain dorms to prevent Tonnot’s escape while I looked for him. I was closing in on his location when I encountered a small group of soldiers in the middle of the hallway. That was when the coup really began.

I posed the question to them directly: “Tonnot must go. Are you out or in?” Their raised weapons were a sufficient response to my question. The military of Goldsilver clearly on the side of Tonnot, I had multiple soldiers to fight through. A handful of civilians were unfortunately caught in the midst of my attacks, but if I had let up the coup would have failed right then and there. Once I had subdued my opponents, I tried to resume my hunt for the collaborator, but somehow he had escaped. At that time I thought that the coup had failed. Cursing my failed plans, I gathered the Legion together and informed them of my failure. I ordered them all to disperse and blend in with the civilian population and told them to prepare for the worst. I mentioned the possibility that we would all need to flee to a nearby hillocks.

It came as a surprise to us all when Commander Zon announced to the fortress that Tonnot had fled the fortress and relinquished his overseership. Our coup had worked! Our secondary objective of seizing control of the fortress, however, was still a failure, and it seems that my leading role in the coup was not overlooked by the military. The Black Legion is now being held captive by one of Tonnot’s allies and I am under house arrest, awaiting punishment for my “crimes.” Word has it that they’re going to set an example by having Unib administer the punishment.

The military has called for an election to occur tomorrow to select a new overseer. Even in my current state, I am still an elector of Goldsilver entitled to a vote. That is something that the military cannot take away from me yet.

Events of 13th Hematite, 257
Speardwarves from the military usher the electorate of Goldsilver into the library. Once all are inside, they close the door tight, sealing the electors inside. The dwarves all sit quietly, waiting for the first to speak up.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 05, 2021, 10:19:23 am »

A message on the table reads,
"Dear fellow electors,

I have received word from my cousins that there is a family emergency to which I must attend. I will return to the fortress in time, but for now I must relinquish my status as overseer. Due to my absence, I shall formally and publically announce my absentee vote for either the Sparkly Unicorn Party, the Digger's Party, or the Soapmakers, in that order of priority depending on who's running. Farewell, and may The Eagle guide you."

(I fled to a nearby hillock called Gorgetsoomething, I don't really remember. Whichever Overseer could call me back whenever, preferably when Nephilim isn't murdering us  :P )
Meow.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 07, 2021, 02:04:37 am »

"It was inevitable.

I am willing to reassert my candidacy and put in the effort to get things back on track. Justice will need to be served out, of course" — a pointed nod toward Nephilim restrained in his seat — "but I believe under the circumstances it may wisely be tempered with leniency. Let us look to heal this divide before we lead Goldsilver into disaster."

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 09, 2021, 04:01:05 am »

"Hmm," Nephilim murmers, shaking the chains the military had his hands bound in around while seeming too be in the middle of thinking. "Here's a better idea: whoever the next overseer is agrees to immediately restore my role as captain of the guard. I think that's an arrangement that would be to my liking. Perhaps if our only candidate so far isn't fond of this agreement, someone else among our number would be willing to run on this promise."

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 10, 2021, 07:43:04 am »

"I will definitely remember that next time I'm in charge, whether that's now or later."

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 13, 2021, 06:26:42 am »

"Well, I suppose that that may not be so much later at all, seeing as no-one else has the courage to stand for election."

It's been long enough. Ballot will go out within the next twelve hours or so. If anyone has any last minute candidacy announcements, now is the time to post them.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 13, 2021, 04:29:25 pm »

Just before the ballot is prepared, Fatcat stands up and speaks:
"For fairness to the other electorate, I feel I should say that MS and I have decided that, for the short term stability and safety of the fortress, it would be best to ban statues of King Iden, King Stukos, and their contemporary offspring. Our stance on this topic is flexible, but given the recent unrest, we believe this is the correct course for the time being."
She then signals that she is done, and settles back into he seat.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 14, 2021, 10:23:30 pm »

Not a dwarf assembled was surprised by the results of the election. After a very short period of voting, the ballots which the electorate had bothered to cast at all were emptied out onto the table. Inside were five ballots marked for Maximum Spin and one with the name "Imic" messily etched on it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The rest of 257 is in your hands, Maximum Spin. Hope we don't all go crazy and die.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 32