Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32

Author Topic: The Fall of Goldsilver Succession Fort – Democracy Suspended  (Read 60955 times)

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
Re: [ELECTION IN PROGRESS] Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #210 on: November 14, 2020, 02:30:59 am »

I am joining because yes.
Spoiler: The Diggers' Party (click to show/hide)
Welcome aboard. You can participate in this election and whoever wins can dorf you once the save is picked up.

Nephilim is the first to stand up. "I have had plenty of time to recover from the injuries that plagued me one year ago. I have had more time still to ruminate over the problems that plague our fortress. I once again intend to stand for election as the candidate for the Stukist Party."
Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 18, 2020, 05:01:46 am »

After waiting in silence for what felt like several minutes, Nephilim began to speak once again. "Is no-one going to run against me? I certainly do not object to running unopposed, but it was certainly not what I was expecting."

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 18, 2020, 10:20:46 am »

Eniteris II stands in a corner, watching the proceedings. He didn't expect politics to be this boring. He grabs a book at random from the bookcase and begins to read.

(I could take another turn, but I think it's too soon after my previous round)

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 18, 2020, 07:16:24 pm »

After a few more moments of waiting, Fatcat stands up, and nearly explodes.
"Is there no one here besides Nephilim who cares about our democracy?  Is no one willing to take the time to ensure that we don't loose this great and unique privilege? Some of you specifically requested to be allowed to participate in the elections this year, and now you sit like you are deaf and dumb. You are honestly disgraceful. You make me regret that I have spent two years of my life now trying to represent your needs in the operation of the fortress."
She turns toward the two religious fanatics, Lucky and Quantum Drop, and continues.
"Have you both forgotten your gods? Or have their orders for earthly actions gone out of effect? Surely you have ideas of what the fortress should look like."
She turns again, this time to Radipon.
"Surely you haven't given up your love of soap, Radipon. You know quite well than no overseer other than the late Eniteris has payed any attention to the material you value so much. I even failed to increase our supplies by more than a bar or two, although I had hoped to encourage general cleanliness, to avoid infections such as have been cropping up from time to time.
I hope that one of you who are sitting here is willing to run against Nephilim. Without competition, no leader will feel it necessary to pay attention to the will of the voters. Let us not allow that state of affairs to come to Goldsilver."
Fatcat, finished with her speech, sits down as abruptly as she got up, to see if her words stir any of the other dwarves.
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 20, 2020, 01:40:58 am »

"It seems as if your pleas fall on deaf ears. Few seem willing to take command of this fortress as it currently stands. Goldsilver, however, requires a leader. I am willing to take that role. We must proceed with the election; the people of this fortress are waiting for us."

(I could take another turn, but I think it's too soon after my previous round)
Yeah, you still need to wait one more turn before you're eligible again. :(

It's been a week at this point, so I'll just send out the ballot. If anyone else decides they want to run after I post this, there is always the option for write-ins.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 20, 2020, 06:36:48 am »

OOC: My apologies for being inactive, it's summative assessment season at my uni.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 20, 2020, 02:58:43 pm »

I'm probably not going to exist until the next election.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 20, 2020, 04:50:43 pm »

Welcome aboard. You can participate in this election and whoever wins can dorf you once the save is picked up.

Travis said you would take part, and then be dorfed by whoever wins. So, you don't yet exist, but that can't stop you from voting. :)
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 20, 2020, 05:59:13 pm »

"Is there no one here besides Nephilim who cares about our democracy?  Is no one willing to take the time to ensure that we don't loose this great and unique privilege? Some of you specifically requested to be allowed to participate in the elections this year, and now you sit like you are deaf and dumb. You are honestly disgraceful. You make me regret that I have spent two years of my life now trying to represent your needs in the operation of the fortress."
Maximum Spin looks profoundly embarrassed. "I hope you all know that, as head of mining and engraving, I simply don't have the attention to spare from the building projects to run the entire fortress right now. Truly, I wish I could, but it isn't practical."

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 20, 2020, 07:05:49 pm »

I'm voting for the Stukist Party because they disagree with the Diggers' Party the least.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 20, 2020, 08:51:28 pm »

Imic, of course, voices his support for Nephilim. Quietly. He’s still not entirely shaken off the idea that openly supporting a Stukist or, for that matter, openly being a Stukist, is going to get him involved in an unfortunate accident where he accidentally stabs himself forty seven times in the back with a poisoned dagger.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 23, 2020, 03:58:01 am »

Sorry for the delay. With plenty of time been had for voting, I'll announce the election results tomorrow.

EDIT: Here are the results. Will try to have a post covering the beginning of the turn out soon that will also cover the end of the election.

Write-in votes were 2 votes for Imic and 1 vote for Nephilim. Total vote counts are 6 votes for Nephilim (75% of the vote) and 2 votes for Imic (25% of the vote).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 05:26:55 am by Travis Bickle »

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
Re: Goldsilver – Dwarven Democracy Succession Fort
« Reply #222 on: November 25, 2020, 02:41:03 am »

Conclusion of the Events of 28th Obsidian, 254
At the end of what was probably the most uneventful election in Goldsilver to date, the votes were emptied out onto the tables and read out one after the other. The result was as clear as it was unsurprising; Nephilim, who had no official opposition on the ballot, won handily. Expecting the result himself, Nephilim’s expression did not show any surprise or joy at the news. Rising from his seat, he briefly addressed the electorate.

“I am happy that I once again have your trust and confidence. Under my leadership, Goldsilver will thrive.”

Journal of Nephilim, Overseer of Goldsilver
1st Granite, 255—Having secured the first true electoral victory of the Stukist Party, I spent most my first day as overseer searching out and gathering together records, notes, and orders that previous overseers have left behind. I needed a work space to go through and process all of this information, and fortunately there was space available for me. During the overseership of Eniteris, several rooms were dug out for use by nobles. Below I have included a drawing of the major rooms carved in the side of the mountain.

What is now the Overseer’s Mansion was initially build as the residence of “Baron” Eniteris. With his recent death, the rooms had fallen into the hands of squatters, but now the property has been seized and re-appropriated as a residence for the overseer. Other than the gem windows, the furniture in the room is surprisingly spartan. I do not have much desire to fill the room with golden statues of myself, nevertheless the room will be redecorated to include the party’s symbol.

Just a small bit of time in the office looking through records was enough to indicate what an administrative disaster this fortress has been allowed to become. I knew just from looking around that Goldsilver had begun to rot, but I had not peeled back the surface to see how bad it was inside. Just one example is how little documentation there is regarding the fortress’ many drawbridges and what levers link up to them. I am somewhat confident that the main drawbridge at the gate of the wall is no longer functional. Beyond that, I don’t even know how to close the drawbridge to the Overseer’s Mansion, which is a problem because dwarves seem to think they can just walk through as they see fit.

Other signs that my predecessors thought it sufficient to simply add onto the fortress’ existing state with their own ideas instead of fixing problems are all over for even the casual observer to behold. What I had intended to be a temporary spot for the trade depot has not only become a permanent location for trading, but also the home of several beehives, a refuse pile, and a stack of corpses. Messes like this can’t be ignored any longer.

Fatcat couldn’t even be bothered, it seems, to remove the statue demonizing her lover and fellow overseer from public view. Reminders of the reign of false baron should be taken out of such major meeting places as the dining room (another part of the fortress which has not been improved upon since the first year of this fortress). What I’ll do with it when I have it removed is something I’ll have to decide upon later. In any case, I imagine that removing the statue will be a good gesture to improve relations with the Sunlit Action Coalition. If I have the cooperation of that party, perhaps they can tell me exactly what sort of bizarre project Fatcat started at the end of last year (put indefinitely on hold by me as of today).

With it clear to me that the modus operandi of my predecessors was to put a pretty bandage over a deep, festering wound, I’ll need to devote at least the first few months of my overseership to reforming Goldsilver’s infrastructure and institutions. It will be hard, but restoration of the entire Dwarven Kingdom must begin here. I have an opportunity to act with power far away from the usurper government; how I spend this year will have a tremendous impact on the success of the movement.

For the memory of King Stukos the Martyr and for the honor of Her Majesty Queen Vutok, I shall not fail.

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 25, 2020, 09:55:43 pm »

After the results of the election are announced, Fatcat offers to show Nephilim around the fortress, and point out the particularly important changes of her term.

The first stop is up in the new dormitory halls. Fatcat points to the the mountain of barrels in the central room, and explains,
"That pile of barrels should hold enough food for the fortress to survive st least several months, if not more, completely locked within these halls. The drawbridges at all the entrances will provide a means to lock all of our population inside if worst comes to worst."
She quickly pulls one of the levers in the center of the floor of the main hall. Moments later there is a series of loud clunks from the direction of the outside, accompanied by a loud curse from a hauler out of Eniteris's former quarters. Fatcat hastily returns the lever to it's original position, to a second round of clunks, and explains,
"That lever seals all of the living quarters when pulled, and the other one here is attached to the gate in the curtain wall. They are here in the most secure portion of the fortress, because they are the most important levers in the fortress. There is not a lever attached to the gate for the mines currently, but that would not be out of place with these two.
The dormitory still isn't completed, so I would request that you continue to furnish new rooms as they are smoothed. A large number of our citizens are housed, but there are still more needing a place to lay their head."
As the new and old overseers head outside, Fatcat motions to a set of stairs in the main passageway.
"The hospital and a temple are down there. I would advise you to try come up with designs for more temples. Most of our fellow dwarves appreciate having a proper place of worship."
Fatcat walks to the gate, with Nephilim close behind. Once outside, she leads him over to a new wall rising from the river valley north of the curtain wall. She explains,
"This is supposed to be where a new walled quarry is dug. The current scrap of wall is only a small part of what will be needed. Once the area is fully enclosed, a tunnel will be excavated to it from inside the main walls, and digging will commence, to provide a continuing supply of materials to pour into the construction of the fortress.
I believe that is all that I need to alert you of, although if you find something you are curious about, I might be able to explain. Of course, it would be good if you continued to expand the prison, seal gaps in the curtain wall, and build guildhalls, but I think those projects are self explanatory. Best of luck with your leadership. I sincerely hope that, as you say, Goldsilver will thrive this year. Oh, and try not to get too depressed, please. I know you have been having trouble since at least Eniteris's terms, but a depressed overseer will not be good for morale."
With that, Fatcat nods politely, and sets off to resume her work.

Eniteris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 26, 2020, 03:42:09 am »

The Ghost of Eniteris I would like to remind Nephilim that a statue in the dining room does technically count as improvement.

Eniteris II is just glad that the politicians have left the library, and goes back to checking out books for actual patrons.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 32