Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Retired Fortresses just end up flooded :(  (Read 1834 times)

Kkslr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Retired Fortresses just end up flooded :(
« on: August 17, 2020, 12:49:10 pm »

Does anyone else have an issue with fortresses built in an aquifer becoming flooded after being retired? This happens to me every time to matter how many precautions I take, I can wall and floor off every possible spot an aquifer can leak from but to no avail. I personally enjoy retiring my fortress and having a peasant adventurer join my forts to become more skilled and prepare for a grand adventure! but any land with an aquifer has to be crossed off my list of potential locations. All that platinum gold and iron rich locations just flushed down the drain :'(

Anyone else have this issue or a possible work around?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Retired Fortresses just end up flooded :(
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 02:33:55 pm »

The solution is to leave a water-grate drain in the bottom of your fort, that would allow water to flow out of your fort and into the caverns. I haven't had this problem with an aquifer, but did with an ocean.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Kkslr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 04:34:39 pm »

thanks for the advice, was contemplating this but wasn't sure...  :D

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 07:10:23 pm »

Or alternatively you can tunnel to the edge of the map, smooth the last wall and carve a fortification in it. The water will run off the map edge.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 09:01:37 pm »

Or a minecart on a track stop set to dump into a wall.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 02:06:23 am »

Does anyone else have an issue with fortresses built in an aquifer becoming flooded after being retired? This happens to me every time to matter how many precautions I take, I can wall and floor off every possible spot an aquifer can leak from but to no avail.. . .
Anyone else have this issue or a possible work around?

Are you sure that the aquifer is at fault? I did some experiments and concluded that both light and heavy aquifers are completely inactive during retirement. They're also inactive during adventure mode when the zone is unloaded.

On the other hand, I've seen several reports of lakes and rivers being drained in fortress mode, and then springing back into existence on unretirement. Could that be what happened to you?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 06:01:20 am »

Or alternatively you can tunnel to the edge of the map, smooth the last wall and carve a fortification in it. The water will run off the map edge.
These can become new water sources after a retire/reclaim. Specifically, fortification-water-exits under oceans will become a permanent source of ocean water, I don't know if aquifers/rivers can do the same.

In this save, use F7 to find the water drain that was created on z -18 before the reclaim (the water drain was created but not used). That water drain is now a permanent source of salt water. This save is from shortly after reclaim, and you can see the ocean water extends up to z 41 (where it is able to dump into the caverns) and above that there is mud and 1/7 salt water in some areas but not in others.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 06:21:20 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thanks for pointing that out, very interesting and thanks for the save.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 07:47:59 am »

I believe it's a known bug that fortress parts under an ocean biome tend to be flooded on unretirement (with vertical walls of water that persist until disturbed at biome boundaries, at least sometimes). This is the first time I've seen a finger being pointed at aquifers, though.

Kkslr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 07:08:06 pm »

Hmm... not to sure if it has to do with oceans or lakes, I have recently been attempting fortresses in these locations. Bu I am fairly certain that I've had this happen with just a plain aquifer, I am currently starting a new fort in a aquifer location with only a river and some ponds as water locations. I will update you if I find my fort flooded after retirement. (Ill just make a copy of my save before I retire)

Kkslr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 07:18:36 pm »

Alright! seems like the aquifer isn't flooding my fortress, must've been a lake or ocean issue! thank you all for the help.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 01:10:37 am »

Thanks for reporting back. It's always useful to get more evidence of how it works.