Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Impossible creatures AR, Neo Genesis Enterprises , Preturn Unit creation Phase  (Read 3005 times)

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is the end of the road, only one lab gets the the contract, there is a lot of money and respect on the line, so failing is not an option.

Welcome to impossible creatures Arms Race, in this game you will develop animal units to do your bidding.
This will be the preliminary turn, it will have two Infrastructures\Scan phases with three actions in each, and one unit design phase with two actions in it.

Also choose a name.

Core thread
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 01:37:49 pm by Rockeater »
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Impossible creatures AR, Team B
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 01:21:58 pm »

Name idea: Neo Genesis Enterprises

I had other ideas, but after realizing, I had to go with this.

Also, should we be doing our Infrastructure/Scanning now?

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 01:33:49 pm »

Yes
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 01:44:27 pm »

Name idea: Neo Genesis Enterprises

I had other ideas, but after realizing, I had to go with this.

Also, should we be doing our Infrastructure/Scanning now?

+1

Neo Genesis Enterprises: Bringing you the Bounty of Nature.

Genome Sequencing Facility: [Insect]
A specialized set up to record the interactions of DNA in Insects or Insectoid creatures. This will allow us to work with Insects to a greater degree. Part of an overall facility, but specilized to it's functions. We can connect more modules to it so they can work together. Insects are one of the most diverse creatures, but also the hardest to sequence. However their short gestation times means that we can perform various experiments quickly to reach a conclusion and breed them to form new classes and genus of insects.

Genome Sequencing Facility: [Arachnid]
A specialized set up to record the interactions of DNA in Arachnid or Arachnoid creatures. This will allow us to work with Arachnidss to a greater degree. Part of an overall facility, but specialized to it's functions. We can connect more modules to it so they can work together. Insects are different from Arachinds, but insects are some of the closest. Having this, we can splice the advantages arachnids have into other creatures, or grant them abilities other things have.

Genome Sequencing Facility: [Plants]
A specialized set up to record the interactions of DNA in Plants or Plantoid creatures. This will allow us to work with Plants to a greater degree. Part of an overall facility, but specialized to it's functions. We can connect more modules to it so they can work together. It also has a number of uses in the creation of unique ecosystems when combined with other GSF modules, or more stationary creatures to act as tricksy traps.

Quote from: Votebox
Name/Tagline
Neo Genesis Enterprises: (1) TricMagic
Bringing you the Bounty of Nature.

3 Infrastructures
GSF [Insects]: (1) TricMagic
GSF[Arachnids]: (1) TricMagic
GSF[Plants]: (1) TricMagic

Infrastructure, followed by Scans backed by that infrastructure, then development of 2 units. I propose sticking to the more base kingdoms, rather than mammals, reptiles, or fish.

I'd also want to do a Garden of Eden once these three are done to allow a natural ecosystem to be guided to emerge.

... Also Bees. B Side must have Bees. There is also the benefit of multiple rolls. If all go well, they will interact well with each other. If some bomb, we have one that didn't we can focus on to start. And a higher chance of a high roll on at least 1 due to multiple key infrastructures being rolled.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 02:35:12 pm by TricMagic »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 02:34:19 pm »

Hmm, what animal and/or infrastructure things should we do first?

One idea would be a mobile lab. A sort of APC with a small scale genetics lab inside that would enable us to do field research on smaller creatures.(Namely like, rodents, birds, small reptiles, and invertebrates)

As for specific animals, well, Dog seems like a good starting point. We should make it one of the larger breeds though. Like a Mastiff(Tibetan or otherwise)

I feel like there's a problem you're missing when you go entirely focused on stuff like invertebrates and tiny things:
Where would we be getting the size genes needed to make them capable of actually fighting more moderately sized creatures?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 02:38:33 pm by Failbird105 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 02:52:55 pm »

Unit creation: not only limited to mixing two creatures, you can increase/decrease the size of a creature and do many other things all in the cost of difficulty, the closer related the creatures mixed are the easier it gets but also the less “specified” the part taken from them, so for example taking the entire snake hawed is easier than just the venom gland, in this stage you also determine the creature’s training, the farther it is then the part natural’s action in the wild the harder it would be.

Size isn't really DNA focused? Maybe maximum size and growth. Rockeater would have to comment on if we actually need a size gene for making things bigger, but I don't think so. Nor are those gaurenteed to be effective in all types of creatures, they'd need to be spliced in the first place, as compared to changing a genome for larger creatures over generations, which bugs are good at, many fast breeding/gestation cycles.

I'll also note that by keeping the breeding aspect they have, we'd have more of them, Common basically. An extremely venomous attack and many flying insects would become extremely dangerous to basic creatures.

Take a Wasp, then add, say a harvester ant's poison? Now you have something that is very deadly. Size isn't everything.

For plants, you wouldn't even need to look that far. The seeds of the Castor Oil Plant contain Ricin. If it could be turned into an aerosol form, those plants would make deadly point defenses.

My goal is to have fun with something most would think weak, and win because of it. No dragons or giant elephantine snakes, but bugs and plants. (I also profess wanting to make Traptrix too.)

Another thing is, we don't need a specific module for something like the common dog, we can get plenty of those, and their DNA is simpler than bugs over generations. Common cats, lizards, snakes, and fish are also available for scanning without specialization. Infrastructure the first 3, followed by the Scanning Phase, scanning 3 things. Then units.

Insects and plants are interesting, so I figured exploring them in an arms race would also be interesting.
... There are also no cold areas in this AR, so that weakness is invalid.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 03:02:55 pm by TricMagic »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 03:07:58 pm »

Name/Tagline
Neo Genesis Enterprises: (2) TricMagic

3 Infrastructures
GSF [Insects]: (2) TricMagic, Failbird105
GSF[Arachnids]: (2) TricMagic, Failbird105
GSF[Plants]: (2) TricMagic, Failbird105
Hmm, true true. Alright, I'll bite.
What should we make first?
I really like the idea of antdogs.

Also, idea: a creature made for infrastructure purposes using bumblebees as a base.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 04:44:47 pm by Failbird105 »

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 03:08:43 pm »

So you can do size change without research into bigger creatures, although the bigger creatures would make it easier.

And reproduction isn't going to have an effect, all creatures come fully form from the fabricators and don't have the time to reproduce.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 03:18:26 pm »

Oh I'm all for fusing them with other things for unholy abominations. These three just give us a solid basis for that. An eight armed Ape maybe with far too many eyes? Or an insectoid reptile with unhinging jaw and venom. These three do fit together for a basis which can be built off of into those directions, but a strong base is a good thing.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 04:47:43 pm »

Uh, I have no clue how it happened, but somehow I made a new post for my votes and yet it instead overwrote my previous post that people responded to already.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2020, 05:05:51 pm »

Hmm, true true. Alright, I'll bite.
What should we make first?
I really like the idea of antdogs.

Also, idea: a creature made for infrastructure purposes using bumblebees as a base.

That it did. How about taking advantage of their hive building? Fast fortifications for our other creatures to use, flying construction workers. They'd need something they can produce that is as hard as concrete, but that could be done with the right chemical mix.

Antdogs work, tunneling and heavy bite. Hopefully maintaining quick movement too, with the strength of an ant. The genomes are also common enough for a base solider antdog unit, and pheromones make for good communication when working together combined with their sense of smell. Fur exchanged for plate is also good for defense. There are a lot of things going for it.

I'll also note the name vote only has my name, but a 2.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 05:10:03 pm by TricMagic »

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 05:13:12 pm »

PTW

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2020, 05:45:05 pm »

Name/Tagline
Neo Genesis Enterprises: (2) TricMagic, Failbird105

3 Infrastructures
GSF [Insects]: (2) TricMagic, Failbird105
GSF[Arachnids]: (2) TricMagic, Failbird105
GSF[Plants]: (2) TricMagic, Failbird105

That it did.

And... hmm, that brings up the question for what to get for our third action next turn. We're looking at ants and dogs, but what of the third.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2020, 06:10:33 pm »

I would perhaps suggest the Sundew. There tentacles and glue traps make them interesting.

Other than that, Black Widows are common enough to be looked at for their venom. Larger creatures could make more, and enough of it would be deadly.

Sundews would mostly serve to be mutated for larger vines with enough mobility and strength to make them dangerous once the prey is fully ensnared, but the first unit would end up being stationary. It could later be mutated into another, or perhaps a form of symbiosis could be achieved with a giant spider, creating an active hunter.

As a plant, it is a good first option for that path, and Antdogs can likely avoid it and trick opponents into them. It would be nice if it would also listen to certain pheromones too as something programmed in.

Alternatively, Hemlock or the Castor Oil Plant mentioned earlier, and a modification for things to be produced as an areosol. Though if that resultant plant and the Sundew were to be combined, it would be a very deadly plant.
Likewise, mixing Sundew and beast to create a plantoid dog. Something with vines hanging off it capable of grasping and holding on, and enough acid to burrow in and kill that way.

Alternatively, just grab a wasp/bumblebee pattern.

Bullet Ant. Giant Japanese Hornet. Doberman Pinscher.

Bullet Ants have a painful bite. Doberman are already intelligent, strong, and good hearing, not to mention size. Giant Japanese Hornets are already large, so only need a proper venom to make them deadlier, along with a control mechanism..

Thinking, Dogs and Sundew should be easy enough, since one is a plant, the other a dog. We could do Red Ants too, which would end up giving us three easy things, but might as well do Bullet Ants for their effects. The pain will be useful, and it's not directly deadly.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 08:06:18 pm by TricMagic »

chaotick21

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2020, 09:26:23 am »

Name/Tagline
Neo Genesis Enterprises: (2) TricMagic, Failbird105

3 Infrastructures
GSF [Insects]: (2) TricMagic, Failbird105, Chaoskl21