Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: Battleships IN SPACE. Apparently I need boarding/ramming mechanics  (Read 10978 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Battleships IN SPACE. Hostiles in Range
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2020, 09:33:03 am »

((How far is the Snail from the RED ships?))

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2020, 09:39:13 am »

You can determine the range between any two ships by finding the closest common ancestor for them both. In your case, the Snail and the RED Squadron are both at Long Range from each other. You would have to walk up the tree all the way to the root node (The Field) before you had a common ancestor with the T-Lock though.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2020, 10:18:03 am »

Turn off Jump Drive, and turn on Laser Array #6. Open fire on The Snail.
Engagement names are a nice touch, BTW.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2020, 10:23:43 am »

Fire Missile at Koganasun
Agreed, I like the engagement names

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2020, 12:43:32 pm »

I thought you were saying we could change the jump destination while charging...dangit. That's going to make jumping a lot less helpful.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2020, 12:50:03 pm »

Yeah, it's meant to make movements a bit more deliberate and strategic. Also means if you're trying to chase someone down they'll have to weather a couple turns of fire before they can escape.

1freeman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2020, 01:27:00 pm »

Posting to watch so I can joint the next battle.

I have a question about using missiles at long or very long range, the rules state that,
Missiles reach anything at Medium range the same turn they are launched, but take 1 turn to hit at Long range, and 2 turns to hit at Very Long range. Each hit deals one damage.

As I understand it, if a missile ship fires at another ship that is at very long range on turn 1 the missile won't arrive until turn 3, which gives the targeted ship 1-2 turns (depending on whether attacks are resolved before or after movement) to jump into another range band and thus dodge the incoming ordinance.

It makes sense that if they jump away to extreme range that the missiles run out of fuel and miss. but I am unsure as to what would/should happen if they jump closer, since according to the rules missiles are,
Self-guided munitions that detonate on impact, dealing one damage per hit.
I think that it might make sense that they could re-target the ship in question and still engage them.

looking at the statistics of the various weapons available, missile launchers seem to be intended for chipping away at the enemy from afar with their low damage, high accuracy and longer range, but it seems that in the RAW missile launchers ability to attack enemies at long or very long range seems to be of somewhat limited utility if the enemy can just jump around every turn to dodge enemy missiles.

Sorry for the massive wall of questions. Looking forward to the next battle.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2020, 02:15:13 pm »

When launching missiles at a Long Range target, the missiles will hit along with any weapons fire from the next turn. Thus a ship that was already preparing a Jump could escape in time,  but who was not already charging a Jump would be hit. A target at Very Long Range would have time to charge and Jump before the missiles arrived.

Thus, Very Long Range missile barrages are much more effective against a target who cannot easily jump away. This can be achieved by targeting a ship with a damaged/destroyed Jump Drive, or you can target a ship which has one of your allies nearby, as it will have to first escape your ally's jump interference before it can jump beyond the reach of the missiles.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 02:22:24 pm by Kashyyk »

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2020, 02:46:26 pm »

T-Lock

All missiles fire on the Snail

Spoiler: badly written fluff (click to show/hide)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2020, 02:49:35 pm »

The T-Lock is not in missile range of the Snail.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2020, 02:53:47 pm »

Jump into Melee with the Snail

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2020, 03:29:58 pm »

oh woops, my bad.

Fire on the Mandator (not like it'll do anything xD) aaaand power up a jump to get as close as one can to the Snail.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2020, 04:09:37 pm »

Because I don't think I'm explaining things very well, I've made a very quick paint sketch of the current ship positions. Please don't expect these very often, as my goal was to develop a positioning system that didn't need a map.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you imagine each of those circles to be logarithmically bigger/smaller than each other, you should be in the right direction. There is also a bunch of empty circles down to Melee Range around each ship, but I've omitted those to avoid cluttering the image.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2020, 05:18:37 pm »

Turn 3

With targets locked, the captains of both the Snail and the Ayes declare weapons free. Lasers flash across the void, the majority scattered a dozen miles wide, however two strike true and irradescent sheets of energy suddenly appear mere tens of meters from the Snail's hull as the shields absorb the beams.

As the Koganasun starts charging a jump to close on the Snail, a missile lock is detected. The single explosive is expected to hit just before the Drive will finish charging.

Meanwhile, a flock of missiles are launched from the T-Lock just in time for the Mandator to finish charging for its jump into the vicinity of the Snail, and it emerges in time to see a backscatter of light from the Ayes' opening barrage.

The Field (Extreme Range)
 |- Royal Snail Party (Long Range)
 |   |- BLU Squadron (Short Range)
 |   |   |- Snail
 |   |   -> Mandator
 |   -> RED Squadron (Short Range)
 |       |- The Ayes
 |       -> Koganasun
 -> T-Lock

Warships
Spoiler: RED The Ayes - a1s (click to show/hide)

Destroyed
None
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 02:35:46 am by Kashyyk »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Battleships IN SPACE. Missiiles away!
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2020, 06:01:58 pm »

fire all lasers on the Snail (again. I will probably have this as standing orders for a while  :P)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16