Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 326

Author Topic: Extinction  (Read 256562 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extinction
« Reply #4620 on: April 13, 2024, 07:58:31 pm »

The blackness forms into a lump, but it doesn't engulf you like the mist did.  A large area of the cavern is in darkness, but you can still see each other.. even if it turns into blackness a dozen or so feet in front of your faces.

(You also cast Armour One and use Battle Aura, to get set up for the fight.  The flurry of darts and arrow fire.. doesn't seem to have any effect.  If you could even see it in the pitch darkness.)

Encounter Start!

Now facing.. One undifferentiated black blob?  (?)

Trence is at 66/100 max HP, Willis is at 45/77 max HP, and Sessha is at 151/184

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: inventory (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: April 16, 2024, 01:42:50 am »

Can we use a scan crystal on it now that we're fighting in in an encounter?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: April 16, 2024, 09:28:53 am »

Can we use a scan crystal on it now that we're fighting in in an encounter?
This would probably work, but I'm a bit worried about this fight, as Willis possibly won't be contributing anything if he gets one-shot, and his maximum HP is pretty low. It looks like hitalls are going to be necessary to do significant damage here.I think going all-in on a hitall breath attack would be best... we can worry about using scan crystals and topping off Willis' HP if he's still standing next round.

Willis: Meditation
Trence: Water+Ice+Maximum Dragon Form
Trence: Water breath!
Sessha: Mana Potion Willis
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: April 16, 2024, 11:21:26 pm »

Willis uses Meditation, activating the green diamonds.  Trence gets big, turning into a mammoth lizard-like creature, and letting loose with a torrent if icy water, blasting the living darkness.

It seems to shudder from this attack, but remains utterly inscrutable.

Sessha refills everyone's mana pool with the last mana potion.  Perhaps arranging for more drops would have been a good idea.  Back then.

Five bolts of magic come out of the darkness.  Bolts of Wind or Fire.

Willis is hit with two attacks, including the greatest one.  He's hit for 19 wind damage and 1 fire damage.

Trence takes two himself, it seems big dragon can't help but attract some fire.  His two bolts hit him for 4 wind and 1 fire.

Sessha takes only one bolt, getting hit for a mere 4 wind damage.  For some reason, many of these cave enemies are wind elemental.  Not what'd you guess.  At least the fire makes sense, stone monsters do tend to be weak to fire..

Spoiler: inventory (click to show/hide)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: April 16, 2024, 11:32:59 pm »

Wind kinda makes sense when you remembers that everywhere except the caves we're standing in is rock.

Anyway, I think we need to scan crystal to figure out what would be effective. The darkness is pretty effective at preventing us from figuring out what's going on.

Trence > Scan Crystal!
Willis > Nature Arrow!
Sessha > Heal
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: April 17, 2024, 01:55:09 am »

Wind kinda makes sense when you remembers that everywhere except the caves we're standing in is rock.

Anyway, I think we need to scan crystal to figure out what would be effective. The darkness is pretty effective at preventing us from figuring out what's going on.

Trence > Scan Crystal!
Willis > Nature Arrow!
Sessha > Heal

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: April 17, 2024, 04:09:24 am »

Trence > Scan Crystal!
Willis > Nature Arrow!
Sessha > Heal

+1
+1

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: April 17, 2024, 05:21:52 pm »

Trence uses a scan crystal!

The darkness isn't a creature, and there is nothing to target?  Trence bears down on the crystal and starts sweeping it across the black blob, hunting for anything inside it, and hoping the crystal pulls up some information.

For a moment, there is something.. and then it flits away.  Whatever is inside the darkness is also moving around inside the darkness.  Getting a solid read with scan crystals seems to be very difficult.

Willis fires a Nature Arrow.  He has nothing to target, unfortunately, so although he can hit whatever he wants, 'the darkness' isn't something that can be hurt.  The arrows fly into nowhere.  Do they hit something inside the blob?  Who knows.

Sessha casts Heal on Willis, refilling the party back to their reduced maximums.

The bolts of magic come out of the darkness once more.  This time, almost all of them head for the giant dragon, with only one beam, the first, strongest, wind one heading for Willis.

Willis is hit for 14 wind damage!

Trence is hit for a total of 18 wind and 7 fire damage!

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: April 17, 2024, 06:21:53 pm »

Bizarre. Well... hitalls it is, then?

Trence > Wave Slash!
Willis > Rapid Fire!
Sessha > Flurry of Darts+
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: April 17, 2024, 08:10:07 pm »

Can we wait for it to shoot at us and return fire?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: April 18, 2024, 01:51:27 am »

Bizarre. Well... hitalls it is, then?

Trence > Wave Slash!
Willis > Rapid Fire!

+1

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: April 19, 2024, 01:07:41 am »

Trence > Wave Slash!
Willis > Rapid Fire!

The party sends a hail of projectiles, and a wide energy beam, into the darkness.  Do they hit anything?  Nobody knows.

What is known is that the darkness flees.  It bubbles and shudders and vanishes, leaving into small holes in the back of the cave, holes that weren't visible through the darkness.

Victory?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: April 19, 2024, 02:21:01 am »

Huzza, maybe?!

Search the room and see if the darkness was protecting something.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: April 19, 2024, 02:45:12 am »

Huzza, maybe?!

+1

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: April 19, 2024, 12:37:33 pm »

Huzza, maybe?!

+1
+1

Fuckin shadow kobolds. Where are your secrets?!
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 326