Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 326

Author Topic: Extinction  (Read 256623 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extinction
« Reply #4515 on: February 04, 2024, 04:13:16 pm »

(The mist is not a Void Creature.)

The party buffs up and aims at the pool of mist far below, armouring themselves, changing to dragon form, and letting loose with a flurry of area attacks.  Water, Cold, and Poison.  They rip into the mist far below, causing it to shake and emit the loudest of horrible howls.  When the effects end, the mist is noticeably reduced, although there is still a lot of it down below them in the chambers.

There is no immediate counterattack, but the mist continues roiling, much faster than before.  It emits a second and a third howl, but at this time it does not attack.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: February 05, 2024, 04:49:28 pm »

(The mist is not a Void Creature.)
Damn, that was an intriguing theory.

Also interesting is that we've heard the howling in the distance. That means it either sensed us at quite the range, or is prone to howling for reasons unrelated to us in particular. I'm still not convinced the mist is a living creature, but that seems to make more sense than any alternative I can think of.

I'm inclined to watch it coil and see what happens, but if that's an attack or the like we'd obviously be in trouble. Bear in mind also that we're stuck down here; going back up will require a really awkward turn that's gonna slow us down too much to make for an effective retreat, so letting it charge up a superattack would presumably be worse than usual.

Do we have any kind of containers for sample collection?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: February 05, 2024, 05:41:31 pm »

Do we have any kind of containers for sample collection?

Yeah, you can manage some containers.  Empty potion bottles okay?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: February 06, 2024, 02:18:01 am »

Bottling some of it up seems like a good idea let's do it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: February 06, 2024, 08:42:04 pm »

Bottle some weirdo mist in potion bottles!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: February 07, 2024, 01:48:55 am »

Bottle some weirdo mist in potion bottles!
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: February 07, 2024, 04:40:46 am »

The mist continues to roil, as you try and work out a method of bottling it.

A solution is decided.  Willis will battle aura + mana potion to fill up.

Trence will then turn into a big dragon form, and will secure a web line to lower Sessha down towards the roiling mist.  The potion will be webbed onto the end of a stick, dipped into the mist, and everyone will be raised up by Trence the dragon once the bottle is filled.

Anything to add or to modify for the plan?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: February 08, 2024, 02:00:53 am »

Can't think of anything to add, lets try it.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: February 09, 2024, 01:24:40 am »

Alright.  Battle aura, webs webs webs, mana potion, big dragon, and Trence wedges himself in properly.  More webs, webs and webs, and sessha's slowly climbing down one web with another web attached to her feet.  And she slowly edges down towards the roiling mist below.

There is a little pain before reaching the visible portions of the mist, but not too much.  She dips the bottle on a stick into the gray mist, and pulls it out, having captured a small amount of the.. stuff.  Cork in, and she manages to pull up having only gotten minor burns.  No permanent, or semi-permanent damage.

The stuff is still roiling, and the mist is starting to eat through the cork.  It doesn't seem like it's gonna last very long..

You have a potion full of Pain Mist.  Any ideas on how to close it?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: February 09, 2024, 01:54:23 am »

What about a small round rock we could put in there?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: February 09, 2024, 04:05:52 am »

What about a small round rock we could put in there?
+1

If there isn't one to hand, try putting another potion container over it, and tying them together with webs.

If it doesn't eat through glass, that should work.
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: February 09, 2024, 10:04:08 pm »

Web potion bottle

"Nah, look at these webs.  It's eating through them despite the glass being in the way."

You look at the webs.  Indeed, webs touching the outside of the glass are being.. very slowly, admittely, eaten away.  The effect isn't blocked strictly by hard materials.

What is this stuff?

Rock

You find a rock shard that'll fit in the potion bottle, but it's not a great solution.  You'll have to carry the bottle around like a bomb.  No inventorying it, and no bringing it through extremely tight crawls.  Still, you have a sample of this truly ridiculous stuff.

..Also, it's still there, albeit diminished, and still roiling.  And you'll have to rest again soon.

Any further efforts?  The spellfire did diminish it a lot.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: February 10, 2024, 02:11:27 am »

I say we try to kill it again, by just doing what we did last time again.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: February 11, 2024, 04:13:35 pm »

It's radioactive aggressive mist? This is weird but we probably shouldn't show mercy if it's a monster or an NPC or whatever, and it's probably not wrong to kill it if it's just mist.

Drop Dragon Form, try to kill the mist with ranged attacks. Experiment with poison darts and ice arrows.
One wheel short of a wagon

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: February 11, 2024, 04:20:54 pm »

...nanomachines? That would sorta explain the corrosion attack, apparent aliveness, and... not do a lot for the roaring. It'd very loosely explain the decay aura as mist slowly but surely seeping through solid substances, but wouldn't explain why it could do that but not just eat the glass in the first place.

Can we use fire or acid to melt bottles closed?

It's radioactive aggressive mist? This is weird but we probably shouldn't show mercy if it's a monster or an NPC or whatever, and it's probably not wrong to kill it if it's just mist.

Drop Dragon Form, try to kill the mist with ranged attacks. Experiment with poison darts and ice arrows.
I am wary of destroying it before we know what it is, especially since it's potentially related to artificial-looking stone construction, what appears to be a ritual purification site, and exotic minerals. It might be important or useful somehow, even if it's currently trying to dissolve our flesh.
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 326