Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 326

Author Topic: Extinction  (Read 256707 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extinction
« Reply #4425 on: December 23, 2023, 11:26:32 pm »

There was one aspect to the cleanroom thing that you didn't quite get.  No gear also means no clothing.  This.. wasn't ideal, but you realize that almost all the robots you see around are also wearing no clothing.  There is a spell to clean up people, but no comparable spell to do objects, so you go in, disrobe, get a spell cast on you, and you're allowed in.

You have to do this because, as the robot gumshoe says, 'if they're going to disassemble or enslave people, they're certainly going to forge documentation.'  So go in and do fairly quick inspections, while trying for maximum completeness.  At least the gumshoe does have some other assistance, able to cut off buildings from the local communications networks to keep the word from getting out.

..There are also a ton of violations.  It seems that even the ones who aren't getting murderous are, despite the utter cleanliness, actually seedy enterprises.  Some of the construction robots or semi-humanoid cleanroom patrol robots want to start something, but naked or not, four high-level adventurers are enough to get them to back down.

..This continues until you meet the genuinely guilty parties.  Who try to refuse the inspection.  The gumshoe follows this up by casting a detection spell, mentioning that they absolutely have too many brains, and tells you that this could turn into a fight.  Still need to be naked, though.. there are dozens of brains in there, and many of them could be under construction.  So hostages.  The detective can fight, but calls for backup and agrees to let you start the battle.  If you want more support, call for backup and he'll come in and send in whatever police bots have arrived.

After disinfection you finally bust in.  They're ready for you, and have three construction robots with makeshift weapons, a couple humanoid bots with actual weapons, and a brute squad of several heavy combat robots.  At least the factory floor seems large enough for any dragon shenanigans.

Encounter Start!

Now facing three construction robots, two humanoid robots with halberds, and two groups of heavy combat robots.  One group, of three have blue markings and what look like multi-missile pods  This group is hanging back, out of range.  The other group of three have gold markings, and what looks like prong like melee weapons, like some kind of double-tipped spears.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: December 25, 2023, 05:37:21 am »

No armour, so we need to hit them hard and rapidly, and ideally on their elemental weaknesses, but also not die. If I remember correctly, robots are weak to one of water, earth and electricity. We also need to use spells to avoid being one-shot.

Trence: Ice + Water + Maximum Dragon, Cover! >Willis
Willis: Tsunami!
Sessha: Armor One > Alice
Alice: Crackle! > Blue marked combat robots
One wheel short of a wagon

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: December 27, 2023, 02:34:55 am »

No armour, so we need to hit them hard and rapidly, and ideally on their elemental weaknesses, but also not die. If I remember correctly, robots are weak to one of water, earth and electricity. We also need to use spells to avoid being one-shot.

Trence: Ice + Water + Maximum Dragon, Cover! >Willis
Willis: Tsunami!
Sessha: Armor One > Alice
Alice: Crackle! > Blue marked combat robots

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: December 27, 2023, 05:28:26 pm »

No gear also means no Haste, so Trence only gets one action.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: December 28, 2023, 02:12:42 am »

Gah. You really don't appreciate high end gear until you take it off for some reason.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: December 28, 2023, 02:19:22 am »

I'll assume turning into a dragon is the move.

Anyway, update next morning.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: December 28, 2023, 02:22:09 am »

Dragon is the way to go, we can cover him in the next turn.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: December 28, 2023, 06:17:28 am »

Yep… still need damage, water and survivability, so same dragon form. Kind of gambling on Alice’s spell hitting a vulnerability, but surely they can’t ALL be earth-vulnerable.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: December 28, 2023, 06:48:04 am »

Some robots are earth vulnerable, some are lightning vulnerable, some are water vulnerable.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: December 28, 2023, 07:06:19 am »

Trence turns into an ice-water maximum dragon.

..It's rather a lot of dragon.  Fortunately this is a factory so there's space for it, although the giant slab of armoured square-shaped blue and white muscle is getting dangerously close to bumping into some machines.  This is not an indoor form.

Willis casts Tsunami!  An enormous wave of water washes over the entire enemy team.

The construction robots are defeated!  Both groups.
Neither of the other groups resist water, but they are not vulnerable about it.

The gold pronged melee combat bots are Badly Wounded!
The blue missile robots are Almost Dead!

Sessha casts Armour One on Alice.  She gains two ranks of physical defense.
Alice casts Crackle on the Blue Combat robots.  They are vulnerable to lightning, and take extra damage.  Alice isn't nearly as powerful as Willis, but the spell is more than capable of defeating the group.
Only the blue-marked melee robots are left.  Two go for Trence, one goes for Alice.

Trence takes 50 damage, half lightning and half physical.  Alice takes 19 damage, as physical damage is partly reduced.

The only robots left up are the three gold melee combat robots.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: December 28, 2023, 03:47:37 pm »

Nice. I was a bit worried about having so many, but Willis.

Trence -> Wave Tail -> Golden Robots
Willis -> Punch! -> Golden Robot 1
Sessha -> Hammer Blow -> Golden Robot 2
Alice -> Crackle -> Golden Robots
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: December 29, 2023, 02:08:45 am »

+1

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: December 29, 2023, 09:17:11 am »

+1
Let it never be said we didn’t try to punch out a robot while naked.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: December 29, 2023, 11:13:20 am »

Trence swings his tail around and renders a rather anemic-looking blade of light.  It's not what you've come to expect of him.  It still does damage, but the robots remain Badly Wounded and don't advance to Almost Dead.  Uh oh.

Willis then punches one of the golden robots.  Astoundingly, this does knock it over to Almost Dead.  <Robots punched while naked: 1>
Sessha then picks a different robot and hits it with a slightly more damaging Hammer Blow.  That one is also reduced to Almost Dead.  <Robots punched while naked: 2>

Alice then comes in with another Crackle spell.  These robots, like the others, prove vulnerable to lightning and take extra damage.  The Robots are Defeated!

Trence reverts and they call the robot gumshoe to come in, informing him of the upcoming fight.  You have a moment's thought that you could have stolen something and the detective would never know it was gone.  Maybe that was just leftover dragon-y thoughts.

There are a few other normal robots that surrender in the rest of the building, and you discover crates of weapons, robot parts, heavy-duty shells for immobile permanent robots, various fixed-mount tools.. and another two dozen half-built combat chassis.  You have a moment of uncomfortable thought when you remember how you were shipping weapons from Valterre to here, as it was a good market for importing weapons.  Legitimate?  Illegitimate?  You don't know.

That said, this is clearly some kind of bigger movement than a few random mugged robots, and the gumshoe does find parts related to two of the 'corpses', so you find out it's linked, but this could end up going on a long time.  The gumshoe thanks you and says it'll be a while before the next stage of the operation, as he'll need to round up some more help and chase down some of this evidence.

Do you say anything to the gumshoe about your stay here?  Volunteer at a later date?  Ask for a reward?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: December 30, 2023, 03:04:39 am »

I have a feeling we're gonna stick around here for a bit so I say we tell him we'll help when it comes to the next stage of the investigation.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 326