Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 326

Author Topic: Extinction  (Read 256789 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extinction
« Reply #4305 on: November 18, 2023, 12:25:08 pm »

Waiting until the archivist leaves and then sneaking in sounds like a good plan.

You hide out in an empty office, using various stolen papers as cover.  It's a couple hours before the archivist leaves, but then you can get past the desk and into the main room.

The papers are packed into folios and arranged roughly by date, older stuff near the back.  Shelves are by topic, then alphabetical, with the cases arranged by year.  All quite logical.  There are a number of obvious holes in the wall filled by empty folios with handwritten tags on them.. stuff that has left the shelves for whatever reason, given by the tag.

The whole thing isn't as hard as you worried.  You don't know the exact year of the invasion, but there are annual reports which give you a clear indication of what went on, and the year in question has two shelves to it.  Checking futher, the report for this year shows that they made a proposal for the job, but it was rejected.  You also find their proposal, which is for a weapon that reduces lightning resist on hit and provides a very significant lightning damage bonus... seems quite potent.  The expected cost makes your eyes pop, though.. but you could afford it, here it would cost something around 30 upgrades to make.  You'll think about that later.

Make a copy of the proposal?  This will take a while, copies have to be made by hand.

Just move on to the next candidate?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4306 on: November 18, 2023, 02:56:56 pm »

Copy it, always good to have spare superweapon blueprints on hand~

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4307 on: November 18, 2023, 07:16:03 pm »

Move on. Sessha of the Gory Blade doesn’t take the Four Swords’ leavings.
One wheel short of a wagon

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4308 on: November 18, 2023, 09:58:11 pm »

Copy it, always good to have spare superweapon blueprints on hand~
+1

Even if we don't use it, it's nice to have an option and a point of reference.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4309 on: November 18, 2023, 10:08:24 pm »

Make a copy.

..  It would be easier to steal the pages.

Do so?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4310 on: November 18, 2023, 10:18:05 pm »

Sure, I mean they're probably not going to look up this specific thing for a while.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4311 on: November 19, 2023, 12:04:14 am »

No. Too big a clue.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4312 on: November 19, 2023, 05:32:47 am »

… can we put it in the party inventory, have uncle scribemagic a copy in two minutes, and put it back?

Not 100% on Waris’ spells but that sounds like something he might just know how to do?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4313 on: November 19, 2023, 02:10:42 pm »

… can we put it in the party inventory, have uncle scribemagic a copy in two minutes, and put it back?

Not 100% on Waris’ spells but that sounds like something he might just know how to do?

..That's a much better idea, if they didn't properly secure this place to party shenanigans.  The trouble is that Waris isn't close enough..  but you learned that Shadow Messenger spell.  One cast of that, letting him know to head over here, and a bit of waiting sees you through.  They hadn't properly secured this place to that kind of shenanigans.

Still, it's time to leave and find the next place, and make sure Waris is in the area so you can just do that again, should it be necessary.

This is colloquially known as 'The Hive', due to the bee-themed carvings on their building.  It's not from the current group, but some time in the forgotten past.  Still, it's a little trickier than the last place, being essentially a big box with two highly visible entrances, due to the building filling the block.

You figure there's two effective ways in.

1.  Some kind of distraction.  You get in during the confusion following some kind of distraction.  Set off a smoke bomb across the street, say, or start a grease fire in the restaurant next door.  With the building evacuated you'll be able to find a way in.

2.  Bribery.  Security is tight enough that forcing your way in is hard.  But someone letting you in shouldn't be too hard.  You aren't 100% sure of how much it'll cost, but it'll be less than one upgrade.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4314 on: November 19, 2023, 02:47:43 pm »

Bribery.

If we wanted fire, chaos and panic, we’d have taken the boys with us.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4315 on: November 19, 2023, 02:53:58 pm »

Bribery.

If we wanted fire, chaos and panic, we’d have taken the boys with us.

I mean, that would be a possibility, yes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4316 on: November 19, 2023, 02:57:11 pm »

Bribes is good. Since we're hitting each of these places in a row, we don't want to be too loud and make a pattern. But bribery is just business as usual.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4317 on: November 19, 2023, 05:00:11 pm »

I will very reluctantly throw in with bribery rather than letting the boys do boy things.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4318 on: November 20, 2023, 12:58:22 am »

You bribe your way in through a jaded mid-level employee most of the way towards retirement.  This'll be conducted by leaving a window unlocked and slightly open.  With the web shooters it only takes a few moments to come inside, leaving Waris available outside in case you need to repeat the process again.

This group doesn't have a central archives.  Instead, the interior is regular, with each floor split into multiple process areas and offices.  Process areas have offices there too, with their own records, usually procedures for making relatively basic gear, tools, and equipment manuals.

Mmm, this isn't the right place.  Valterre is a really strong item and would have taken many steps, all coordinated by a central figure or a major officer of some kind.  If there are records, they'd be in their offices, not the production floor.  Too secret for that.  So..

Crack open the office for the head of the organization.

Crack open the office for the chief of production.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4319 on: November 20, 2023, 04:17:17 pm »

Head of the organisation.

Tough call, but I’m guessing they would have the blueprints for a proposed but unimplemented design, and a used one would be kept in the most important persons office if it concerned Valterre.

I’m almost fifty-fifty on this though… production would normally have designs.
Pages: 1 ... 286 287 [288] 289 290 ... 326