Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25

Author Topic: Dryad Rage 2: Another game about growing a Tree and possibly civil war?  (Read 17086 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Dryad Rage 2: Another game about growing a Tree and possibly civil war?
« Reply #345 on: October 06, 2020, 12:57:00 pm »

GM asks if you thought it through, the above is true. 28 mana pretty much lost permanantly, and none of my skills are worth summoning me for. My healing is done better by a tree spell, my Lifelink would dissolve immediately, my fertilization is not worth the cost, and my Light Bind isn't gaurenteed to last more than one turn if I'm gone.
The fact that you have already wasted 18 mana by existing is not a point in your favour. Even though we can't get that mana back, we can at least stop you from spending more. I'm also not sure what you intend to prove by cataloguing your uselessness.

Using Lifelink carelessly means actually being linked when the other side dies. Or attaching it to something you are attacking.
Are you sure about that? It sounds like you have just assumed this.

If there's not going to be a vote, and it looks like there isn't, Old Oak attempts to research heart swapping: a potential way for dryads to exchange their physical forms with one another so that they can sub in for each other as needed; for example, if this is possible, we might bench Doraido for someone actually useful, who would then be at the adolescent level, until healing is needed and then sub her back in exactly as she is now.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: October 06, 2020, 01:21:55 pm »

15 mana is for my summon then tier upgrade. Something all dryads have as a cost. Petra is that too.
3 mana for Lifelink, which is on me alone, but something other Dryads may also do.

If I am banished, 5 mana(min) must be spent to summon a new one, then 10 mana to upgrade it's tier. Compared to, you know? Just waiting for 10 more mana to summon a new Dryad? Old Oak and Oakstance don't have any real binding or healing abilities on them from the start. While the Tree's heal spell is more powerful, I can cast one that doesn't cost mana. Useful for healing Defenses more than Dryads.

Also, current Vote is 2:1 in favor of Banishment. This is mostly you two wanting to be able to do something. To the point I'm most certainly going to leave you two for last reguardless, Inanna and Aracnea in that order seems better for summoning, followed by Oakstance. By the point Oakstance is summoned, our mana supply would be suitable to upgrade their tier to the point Cloudshaping is effective.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dryad Rage 2: Another game about growing a Tree.
« Reply #347 on: October 06, 2020, 03:32:48 pm »

"If we knew that the cost to summon a new Dryad would return to what it was before, I would consider it. As things are however, the world does not seem to be so kind to us. We would be better suited to simply resisting Doraidos attempts to spend wastefully than risking being down a Dryad while still waiting just as long."

One vote against banishment.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: October 07, 2020, 05:29:02 pm »

Autumn 10, Year 1

It is getting colder...

Petra invokes Vinewall at magnitude 2.0 in an attempt to send himself back to the north. There's good news and bad news. The bad news is that launching yourself with that much force would deal enough damage to kill Petra. The good news is that Petra lacked that kind of strength! This is probably the kind of maneuver you should practice before using in a situation like this.

Petra deliberately launches himself about a meter, and collides with the slime! The Goat Slime and Petra both take 2 damage. The Goat Slime, interpreting this as futher hostilities and already having been taunted and attacked before, strikes Petra again to deal 4 more damage!

You feel as if somewhere, a mouse is freaking out. The local White Spider just goes about its business.

Doraido attempts to lifelink themself with Petra, using the tree as a medium. This unfortunately, does not work. Doraido has learned that lifelink, and presumably most other abilities, require you to be in the same place as the target in order to function.

There is discussion about banishing Doraido for some reason. This did not end up happening. If you want to block a dryad from making wasteful upgrade purchases for themself, there is actually a different option that you can discuss.

As for research, research isn't actually a thing; or at least not a thing yet. You might get an answer about manifestation costs sooner rather than later though.

Goat Slime: 49/60 hp (South area)
Mouse: 2/2 hp (2/17 LL:1) (In another area)
White Spider: 5/5 hp (South area)

There is a shallow trench around the tree.
The tree is poorly encircled by defenses.

Spoiler: Dryads (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tree (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Defenses/Creations (click to show/hide)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: October 07, 2020, 05:51:50 pm »

Doraido
And they say I'm the reckless one.

Petra, you aggroed it, you finish it quickly. I do not feel like finding out what happens when a Dryad dies.

Proposals: 3/6 Mana towards a [Defense] ability for Petra to use. 2 Mana to case Heal twice on Petra through a Tree Spell.

Doraido casts [Life] Heal 1.0 on self. Cast [Life] Heal 1.0 on Tree.

As a note to GM, this is just a last minute post before bed so others can discuss the proposed plan. Also fairly obvious Empowered Roar did not work well. Temporary as expected.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: October 07, 2020, 05:54:06 pm »

Proposals: 3/6 Mana towards a [Defense] ability for Petra to use. 2 Mana to case Heal twice on Petra through a Tree Spell.
Old Oak: -1 against all uses of mana this turn.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: October 07, 2020, 05:54:19 pm »

Petra

"Damnit!"

Try, desperately, to raise a vinewall between myself and the goatslime, all around myself and hemispherical in shape (1.0). Then, lay my hands on the ground and attempt to Fabricate a tube of compacted dirt in the ground, allowing me to try to evade the goatslime even if/when it gets through the wall.

"Can I get some healing?" (+1 to a SINGLE use of Heal on myself.)
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 08, 2020, 05:39:28 pm »

Petra
"Can I get some healing?" (+1 to a SINGLE use of Heal on myself.)
Yes.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: October 09, 2020, 04:57:32 pm »

Winter 1, Year 1

Winter has arrived!

Heal is cast at the cost of 1 mana, restoring 5 health to Petra; and by extension a mouse somewhere.

Doraido invokes heal on himself to restore 1 health. Doraido also invokes heal on the tree at magnitude 1.0. There are two reasons why this accomplishes nothing.

A Silver Fox arrived near the tree. It sniff the air in an attempt to detect prey...

Petra raises a vinewall in front of the Goat Slime at magnitude 1.0. The Goat slime then eats the vinewall. Petra then attempts to fabricate a tube in the ground. This technically created a tube made of dirt, but its not very big, and also filled with dirt; providing no obvious means of assisting with evasion!

The Goat Slime seems a bit more sluggish now.

The winter weather wreacks havoc on the plant defenses, but the tree itself is holding up fine.

Silver Fox: 15/15 hp
Mouse: ?/2 hp (7/17 LL:1) (In another area)

There are dead vines in the area
The tree is partially encircled by defenses.

Tree Spell Range Tutorial
The GM spent some time looking for where it was explained that tree spells had to be cast from the tree, and failed to do so. It would be poor GM-ing to kill a player off because of a GM oversight, so here's what is now canon. The tree now has a spell range of 1. In order to cast a tree spell, you need to be no more than 1 tile away from the tree. You can now look this range up in the tree spoiler.

websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: October 09, 2020, 05:20:36 pm »

Doriado

Stare at the fox. If it attempts to attack me(or the tree), Invoke Life Link at 2.0 Magnitude, connecting me and it.

I'm going to need a better healing spell..

Petra may want to cast another Heal from the tree in case I can only run a single link at a time. Be a bit annoying if that's the case though.

Right now I know targets can only have 1 Life Link on them. And that stronger targets need more power to link. Do I need to do anything to cut it, can I only have 1 link active at all?

We're also no longer producing mana so maybe distract it with vinewalls and leave Petra?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 09, 2020, 05:21:58 pm »

Petra

"Damnit, I was hoping I'd get a hollow tube..."

Try to maneuver such that the goat slime is not between me and the tree, and then create a 2.0 vinewall between myself and the slime such that I have a clear sprint back toward the tree. Make sure to check if the slime is actually still pursuing me before fully returning to where the tree is.

We're also no longer producing mana so maybe distract it with vinewalls and leave Petra?
Already writing that before you posted :p

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 11, 2020, 04:50:55 pm »

Winter 2, Year 1

It has started snowing!

Doraido stares at the Silver Fox, and watches it leave to the north. Looks like everything is totally fine and there's no reason to concern yourself about the fox any further!

Petra invokes Vinewall at magnitude 2.0, then retreats. The Goat Slime takes that one down too, but it seems that Petra was able to get some distance. Barring any other issues Petra can probably return without being followed.

With the exeption of the Giant Sundew, all the plant defenses have withered and died...

Silver Fox: 15/15 hp (North area)
Mouse: ?/2 hp (7/17 LL:1) (In another area)

There are lots of dead vines in the area
The tree is not encircled in the least.

Tree Spell Range Tutorial
The GM spent some time looking for where it was explained that tree spells had to be cast from the tree, and failed to do so. It would be poor GM-ing to kill a player off because of a GM oversight, so here's what is now canon. The tree now has a spell range of 1. In order to cast a tree spell, you need to be no more than 1 tile away from the tree. You can now look this range up in the tree spoiler.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: October 11, 2020, 04:56:09 pm »

Old Oak
Control defense: Giant Sundew
The Giant Sundew attempts to enter a dormant state for the winter, shifting nutrients toward its roots and closing its leaves up tightly!

It could also stand some healing...

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 11, 2020, 05:03:54 pm »

Petra

Return to the tree, making sure I'm not being followed. Then, Petrify all of the dead vines in the area (2.0).

"Think I'll try to Fabricate those all into a wall next.
Doraido, can you try to break the lifelink maybe? I don't want to die because a snake decided a certain mouse'd be a good meal."

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 11, 2020, 05:58:12 pm »

"This at least is where one can shine."

Doraido
Do not resist Petra trying to break the Lifelink.

2.0x Heal the Giant Sundew.

"My healing is useful for saving mana at least, even if it is weak. Also, please do not go running to attack something much stronger than us, not everything wants to eat us or cares enough to."

« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 07:51:12 pm by TricMagic »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25