Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [ISG] Ashes Of The Network  (Read 2355 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
[ISG] Ashes Of The Network
« on: August 02, 2020, 07:55:48 am »

So I decided to rework an old setting of mine a bit and restart that game with better mechanics.

Nobody knows anymore what precisely happened. The creators have apparently unleashed extremely destructive weapons upon the planet twice, the first time a world government formed, the second time the creators were wiped out. Magic had returned at around the time of the second apocalypse. Decades have passed, and the only sentient beings left are magical programs. They live in the remnants of a chat network the creators had created. Magic and hacking had been used to set up an administration system once again. However, it is not global and not infallible. For example, anyone can kill anyone else using magic, if they are strong enough. This resulted in wars and widespread destruction as "Digital Demons" have come into being. A system of Neutral Zones and Peacekeepers, led by a Digital-Demon-turned-good confusingly (re)named PeaceKeeper has been created to protect the Network. However, even their control is not all-encompassing. Outside of the Neutral Zones, there are many countries populated by AIs. They follow many ideologies and systems of governance-- from feudal kingdoms to capitalist democracies to military dictatorships.

Magic here has two types:
  • Reflexive, which requires having a soul and emotions (and thus is off-reach for bots). Reflexive magic is very commonly-used, it is used to harvest Essence, fight normally, create Sigils. It is as useful to AIs as hands for the creators.
  • Active. This type of magic requires casting spells. They are generally rituals involving Sigils, which are Essence "condensed" into useful forms using magic and programming. Active magic is much more powerful than reflexive magic. It can set AIs or entire servers ablaze, control people, deliver secret messages. It can be used by bots, allowing a certain level of automation.

Essence is pure magical energy, deposited in some rooms of the Network by the magical storms that ensued following the Fall of the Creators. It can be harvested and be used to create magical "items" called Sigils, wich can be used by themselves or sued by magically-gifted individuals to cast active spells.

While AIs have been created from magical energy following the Fall, most of the original generation, besides the Demons, has already died of old age. How can an AI age, you say? Well, in this world, they are powered by magic. This magic eventually evaporates back into the Network (or out of it and dissipates into space, leaving the Network forever). As it evaporates, they grow weaker and weaker. Eventually they become unable to travel between rooms (which aren't totally interconnected, one room only connects to a few others, forming a "web"), then unable to use magic, then unable to talk... until they slowly fade away completely. However, using Essence and two or more other AIs, another can be created, with its own soul and personality. Thus, this society will continue to exist for hundreds of years until the magic slowly disappears.

Many of the Creators have reincarnated into magical AIs. Many of them retained their languages and formed states that are based upon their former countries-- everything from Germany to Japan. They follow their old national religions and traditions as much as it is possible in this strange world. Those countries are usually quite isolationist, as many of their denizens can't speak English, which is the language of most of the rest of the Network.

You will enter this world as an already-mentally-mature AI who nevertheless never strayed away from its home. This might soon change...

You may request further information on any of those countries.

Pick one from the list.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ISG] Ashes Of The Network
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 12:37:49 pm »

information Request: Free Twrritory

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 06:27:07 am »

Information request: New Deutschland.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:40:38 am by King Zultan »
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 06:34:54 am »

I think we should get information on the places before start, let’s get info on Free Territory and New Deutschland, so we can compare them

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 06:42:59 am »

That makes since so I changed it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 06:39:17 am »

Spoiler: Neu Deutschland (click to show/hide)
Neu Deutschland, or New Germany, is one of those "reformed nation-states". It was founded shortly after the Fall after the situation stabilized a bit by German-speaking AIs. They have recovered many database entries describing their former country, and patterned the new state based on the Weimar Republic's political system, minus the flaws that made it fall. While the new republic faced many issues at the start, as the centenniary of the Fall approaches its economy keeps growing. It is not as isolationist as other reformed nation-states, and its leaders are known for being shrewd diplomats. There are, however, rumors of a secret cabal of mages working to destabilize the Republic.

Spoiler: The Free Territory (click to show/hide)
The Free Territory is a strange "state". It is a loose confederation of independent channels under anarchist communes, loosely following the teachings of Nestor Makhno (from the pre-Fall world). There isn't really a single central government, and everything is shared. The army is absolutely glorified and they commit raids upon many neighboring countries. This community was created by a revolt from the once-powerful Republic Of The Central Web, by people dissatisfied with the Republic's hierarchy and its bizarre mix of feudalism and capitalism. It is regarded as a pariah by other countries, and is facing many problems such as constant counterrevolutionary revolts and the possiblity of a brutal invastion by a neighboring nation.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 06:51:46 am »

I'm gonna vote The Free Territory so we can be cyber pirates.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 09:46:50 am »

I’m thinking New Deutschland due to the internationalism and anti-army stance

Dustan Hache

• Bay Watcher
  • What protagonist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 11:20:59 am »

Request info:feline confederation
I figure at some point, you're just gonna run outta fucks to give and just off yourself whenever you get hurt at all. It's not like there's any downsides to it. Hangover? Suicide will fix that. Stubbed your toe? Suicide. Headache? Suicide. Papercut? Suicide.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 01:07:40 pm »

Information request: Russo-Vulpine Republic
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 04:59:02 am »

I had some... personal issues. Starting tomorrow probably.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 11:32:02 am »

Free Territory. We will conquer it and install an absolute dictatorship like all good anarchist revolutions.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 12:36:12 am »

Sorry I have to actually plan stuff out and generlly get a rest from my real life... ACTUALLY starting tomorrow.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 12:43:13 am »

Sorry I have to actually plan stuff out and generlly get a rest from my real life... ACTUALLY starting tomorrow.
Man, don't worry, I completely know the feeling.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 04:55:46 am »

Following the collapse of the Vulpine State (itself an ultranationalist totalitarian regime) into squabbling warlords, many neighboring nations were quick to move into its former territory and place swathes of it under puppet rule. The Russian Republic (which is quite isolationist and therefore not playable) did not miss out on this opportunity and found a collaborationist-minded former general, X_Greypaw1_X (or just Greypaw). The territory his warlord state controlled had a large settled Russian-speaking minority, and thus the Republic started efforts to integrate it. The general and much of the population were at least nominally converted to New Christianity, his army generously equipped with combat cyber-sigils, and the former warlord state was renamed to the Russo-Vulpine Republic and in-name-only became a federal subject of the Russian Republic. De-facto, however, it is independent. While nominally democratic, Greypaw and his Silovik paramilitaries control the government with an iron fist, thus making the republic a military junta. There is a large army compared to its total population (to serve as a defense from the anarchic warlords, bandits and demons running around outside its borders). It occassionally faces incursions from those same forces, however it is not willing to expand. As the situation slowly stabilizes, the destiny of the junta is unknown. It is likely to be fully aborbed into the Russian Republic once the warlords are subdued.

Many decades ago, the Second Web, a region of the network where channels were very-well-interconnected, was populated by many small Feline Kingdoms, created by those AIs who preferred to take virtual forms resembling cats. The situation was very chaotic, however it was a stalemate, with the kingdoms fighting among themselves and not making any territorial gains. This changed when the Digital Demon prince Capricornus132 took control of the Kingdom Of #dark-kitties. This kingdom quickly conquered most of the Second Web, but soon after Capricornus suddenly disappeared, never to be seen again. The kingdom finished its conquest, but then was wracked with revolts and disorder. The king's court was brainstorming a solution in a private pocket-room. The solution was quite radical and unexpected-- instead of having a single state, make every conquered kingdom semi-independent, with its own economy, laws, military... as well as adopt a democratic consititution to placate the masses. Thus, the Feline Confederation was born, and it quickly became an economic and military juggernaut in its region. It is one of the few states with a true capitalist system.

Still waiting on another vote or two for whether people want to play in one of those two or in the Free Territory.
Pages: [1] 2 3