Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Errant-Wandering Sheriff of the New World (SG)  (Read 3164 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Errant-Wandering Sheriff of the New World (SG)
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 08:46:02 pm »

Our partner? The crotchety ex-noble and barely legal physician, Albricht hast Enschweig. Old and cranky (if admittedly, wise), Albricht is off in the last town you visited tending to a patient who's caught a monstrous disease of some sort. He doesn't think the patient will survive, but his doctorly conscience forbids him from leaving without doing all he can. Besides, observational data is always helpful for the wider medical community, as the good doctor says. You remember that you left your eight-knot with him. Its basically Hill Folk bear hair tied into eight-knots in a certain pattern that identifies you as a subject of the Empire - with all the benefits and responsibilities of the status.

Right, Albricht. Everyone up here calls him Doc. I think they have trouble pronouncing his name. None of the fancy plants the locals threw at the poor patient did a hare's breath, as they say. Maybe they'll get lucky and a unique Hill Folk perspective will be just what the doctor ordered. Back home medicine tended to be much more surgical than what the Red-Lips usually use, and the local colonies got used to eating fancy plants instead of getting bits cut off. You remember how pale their faces got when he pulled out that surgical axe, you would have thought he pulled out a surgical revolver.

It was probably a bright idea leaving your eight-knot with him. Most folk around here don't care much for the Empire. Especially the Hill Folk. Since the Empire doesn't have any treaties with the Errant you arn't sure how they would have handled you technically still being a citizen. They might even think you're some kind of spy. (Are you some kind of spy?) This far north you doubt anyone but Hill Folk, the rare Carp, and Errant (as there is a detailed explanation of the Hill Folk Empire composed by expats) would recognize it as anything more then a trinket. If one of those groups does put their eyes too it you'd best be ready to explain why you kept it. Still it opens up many doors if you end up heading South. You might be the first Errant to have full access to the Hill Folk Empire. Just hide your badge around anyone still loyal to it just in case.

Well you're paperwork is squared away, your training complete, and your shiny badge is ready to get covered in trail dirt. Silvershanks -the town you left the good doctor in- is several hours away on foot or a short train ride if you have money to burn. You left all the money you had on hand with Albricht. It would be smart to reunite with him by nightfall if you don't fancy sleeping in the streets, but from here out the world is yours to explore. You are currently in Marshalltown. The fact that this Errant base is here means that the town is relatively under control and ironically has very little Errant work to do. Your Bible is always available if you want to look up any information in it.

((Editors note: Enforcers are the law enforcement of the Hill Folk Empire and any time I accidentally call the Errant 'Enforcers' are totally in character and not Stirk screwing up his own words. Totally.))
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2020, 10:28:52 pm »

Check the Bible for common creatures and flora found west
((If the Bible doesn’t have such info, tell me and I will edit my action))

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2020, 06:40:56 am »

Start walking back to the town out partner is in.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2020, 03:38:50 pm »

Quickly check-in with the local Sheriff.  Let him know we're headed Silvershanks, and ask if there's anything we should look out for.  Look over any wanted posters outside his office. Barring no immediate obstacles or opportunities, get on the trail before too much time is lost.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2020, 08:58:49 pm »

Check the Bible for common creatures and flora found west
((If the Bible doesn’t have such info, tell me and I will edit my action))

The Bible helpfully contains a vast amount of information on the local wildlife, sorted by region with tabs carved into the side allowing the book's user to instantly flip to the relevant page. Some of the most dangerous or helpful organisms even have full illustration, though most make due with a few word description. Most of the information is practical in nature, abilities of a particular critter, what to shoot what with, what plants will kill you, how to track this, how to eat that. It is generally sorted so the most urgent critters are first, presumably so you know what to do after seeing your bullet bounce off of their skull if you desperately flip through the book looking for help. Nothing covered in this book is any sort of "common". The only think you can go out the door and know you'll run into is grass, sage, and trees depending on where you live. It doesn't cover any of those things here. If you want to know the weaknesses of a pine tree or how to track a maple you're going to have to look elsewhere.

Even the information for the local region is thick enough that you won't be able to memorize the whole thing without significant effort. It is fairly dry reading even with its subject, it'd be like memorizing all the B words in an Old World dictionary. It hasn't been emphasized before but the Bible is a thick book. You could probably use it to block a bullet.

Quickly check-in with the local Sheriff.  Let him know we're headed Silvershanks, and ask if there's anything we should look out for.  Look over any wanted posters outside his office. Barring no immediate obstacles or opportunities, get on the trail before too much time is lost.

Naturally Errant arn't the only law enforcement in the New World. Colonies will typically have Sheriffs and their men patrolling the town and manning the walls. You're less likely to find them in the Frontier (or anywhere else outside of the walls for that matter), but your sedentary cousins in justice can be valuable allies when they're present.

Their responsibilities on the walls usually means you can find the Sheriff's office right by the gate, across from the Express post. This is as good a time as any to note that when you say walls you don't mean like the walls you have back home. Even well established colonies in Old World style just throw up some logs, give them pointy tops, move some dirt around, and make a couple of boxes for guards to stand in. Its a poor imitation of the massive stonework you have back home. You hear they make some forts that look like they're actually trying, but you haven't seen any yourself (except maybe a distant glance when you where crossing the border).

Speaking of barely trying, the Old Worlder's whiskers fail to impress compared to those you remember from your homeland. You think this as you look at the four wanted posters outside the Sheriff's office. Two Old Worlders with the names they used back in their homeland. Dray Oddman and Bing Changming, both with tiny patches of facial hair below their nose and on their chin in different styles. The wanted poster just shows a sketch of their face, $20 award preferring alive. They seem to be of different Old-World ethnicities but you think you could probably tell if you ran into them now. It looks like they're criminals who went missing around the time a boat went to the New World, so they're marked as suspected fugitives and had their posters sent with a later ship. They're probably deeper inland by now. The third is a bit more dire. $200, dead or alive, no sketch. This poster is more like a warning letter than a wanted poster, noting that a poisoner was going around the Colonies applying his trade to seemingly random and innocent Old Worlders causing at least three deaths. Last one ain't the sketch of any sort of folk but a beast dubbed "Silvershanks Slasher". It has a closeup of a snarling wolf-like face with a scar across the left eye and a chip taken out of the right ear. $50 reward for its head. It goes without saying that they don't want you to take that thing in alive.

Manning the gate is the Sheriff himself. He is a surprisingly chubby man with a trimmed mustache and a badge similar to yours. You hear that food in the Old World isn't as energy-filled as New World food, some Old Worlders don't seem to adjust to it well to it and gain weight even with an active lifestyle. You ask him some questions and make small talk. He says that the nearby roads are just about as safe as the New World can be thanks to the Errant HQ bringing people in from all over, as long as you stick to them you shouldn't run into any trouble (though he does suggest we don't go out alone just to be on the safe side.) When questioned about the Slasher he states that it has been attacking foragers in the woods around Silvershanks ("But the 'Nearby Silvershanks Slasher' didn't have the same ring to it), travelers should be safe as long as they stay on the well-treaded path. You thank him as he opens the gate and releases you on an unsuspecting world.

Start walking back to the town out partner is in.

As the good sheriff promised, your first walk as an Errant is perfectly safe. A simple dirt path cuts through an open field with no danger in sight. You're passed several times, once by a pair of Expressmen on horseback, once by a family heading west in a covered wagon, and three times by Enforcers and their partners (one group which was on foot and simply in a brisk jog). Each greats you with a tip of the hat and some variation of "Howdy". You make it to the gates of Silvershanks by early afternoon with water in your canteen to spare.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2020, 09:08:40 pm »

Using some of that extra water to moisten your gills to help make a good impression in the (lengthy) traditional Hill Folk greeting rituals, make your way back to the Doc and find out if you can help with your surgical fish teeth.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 06:24:46 am »

Using some of that extra water to moisten your gills to help make a good impression in the (lengthy) traditional Hill Folk greeting rituals, make your way back to the Doc and find out if you can help with your surgical fish teeth.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2020, 01:41:08 pm »

With freshly moistened gills, you make your way to the gate and begin to greet the gatekeeper. The less-traditional way. He looks briefly at your badge before allowing you in to town. You make your way to the good doctor's last known location and knock three times on the wooden door. Before you can even take your hand away from the door it bursts open to reveal Albricht hast Enschweig in the flesh. Mostly his own. His doctor's apron was however covered in someone else's blood. As where his hands and a better portion of his beard. And several locations on the floor visible from the doorway.

You begin the greeting ritual. He replies by cutting it short after the first salutation by pulling out a finger-sized fang that was in his palm and rudely stating「Good to see didn't lose your manners in that fancy OldWorld school Randal. Too bad I lost mine fist deep in Red-Lip. My old mother, rest her noble soul, would weep openly to see me skip the greeting ritual but we're short on time here.」in your native tongue. He continues「Your teeth? No. Well maybe later. What is important now is this tooth. I had my doubts but I made a breakthrough. You know what this is?」

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2020, 01:46:45 pm »

Of course we know what it is, as we had double periods of special training classes in "Identification: Body Parts: (227) Bones, scales, teeth, baleen, radulae, spicules, miscellaneous mineralized tissue". It was that or home ec.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 04:02:21 pm »

"Something you better not have traded my Eight-Knot for?"  Also remind him it's been a long journey, and you'd appreciate some country hospitality right now.  "Let's talk about this over some grub."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2020, 04:23:48 am »

Of course we know what it is, as we had double periods of special training classes in "Identification: Body Parts: (227) Bones, scales, teeth, baleen, radulae, spicules, miscellaneous mineralized tissue". It was that or home ec.
+1

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2020, 08:32:05 pm »

「Perfect. I'm impressed. Lets not waste any time, we have a few days left at most.」the doctor states as he removes his apron, unceremoniously throwing it to the floor.

"Something you better not have traded my Eight-Knot for?"  Also remind him it's been a long journey, and you'd appreciate some country hospitality right now.  "Let's talk about this over some grub."

「The only think they trade an Eight-Knot for around here is a couple of bullets. Delivered much faster than the local Express can manage. I've got that old hydra* noose back in my bag. I'll hand it back to you once we're somewhere prying eyes can't reach.」He walks over to get the bag while speaking, motioning for you to follow as he does so. The building is a mostly standard Old World log cabin with more ominous bloodstains than average. His patient was lying in his bed next to a dining table that was clearly recently used as an operating table.「I pulled this little thorn out of that poor fella's leg. Thought that was the problem at first. He got bit and they healed the wound before pulling out the bits that got stuck in it first. But it didn't seem to help any after I got most 'em all out so I had to go get someone to identify what got to him. I got that done yesterday. Now you happen to show up to help out my recovery plan.」

He points his thumb towards the 'operating table' as he begins gathering random medical bottles, implements, tools, and occasionally fruit into his bag.「If its conversation you're after we can talk on the road. If its food I had some taters made to keep me energy up for the various operations. Help yourself.」Sure enough, sitting proudly and directly on the table is a traditional tater meal with a big, starchy tater covered in Old World cheese. Well the cheese isn't traditional. With no trade relations the actual traditional spices are basically impossible to get this far north, save for sea salt. Taters themselves can be found on the trade routes with the occasional tribe that grows them outside of the Hills, though they're a bit more expensive than what is grown locally. Cheese and butter are generally the preferred substitution for expats, with the common expression that a cheesy tater "tastes like freedom".

*The Hillfolk word for "Many-headed dragon" was used instead of the Old World word "hydra".

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2020, 09:06:01 pm »

Consume delicious hashed browns and reflect on what we obviously know that tooth clearly is.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2020, 03:46:47 am »

Consume delicious hashed browns and reflect on what we obviously know that tooth clearly is.
+1

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2020, 11:24:07 pm »

+1
+1 and remark that it tastes like freedom.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: 1 [2] 3