Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Ramshackle Titans - Knights Reliquar Thread - M2 Deployment  (Read 9688 times)

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ramshackle Titans - Knights Reliquar Thread - M2 Mission Choice
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2021, 01:01:39 pm »

I'm rather more partial to the rewards we might get from Chidike personally.
Quote from: Lightly Armored Votebox
Major Chidike Ihejireka: (3) TricMagic, AzyWng, Strider03
Major Vicente Cano: (2) Kashyyk, Nemonole
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.
And by God, was she going to use it.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Ramshackle Titans - Knights Reliquar Thread - M2 Design and Revision
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2021, 06:41:55 pm »

Month Two -- Design and Revision Phase

Žaneta Viliauskas stood in the bridge, with Christel at her side, waiting near the ornate table and in front of the large central screen display that made up the (rather lovely, Žaneta thought) communication center of Le Bouclier, and... well, honestly, the first thought that bubbled up to her head was that she hoped that this contact was less of an asshole than Cano. Žaneta had resigned herself at the start of this campaign to the fact that she would have to deal with some unpleasant people, but people who thought themselves charismatic and worldwise and then whined at a little bit of battle damage were not exactly at the top of the list of people Žaneta wanted to count as her business partners. After all, she'd been through quite a few campaigns, now, and she'd seen serious blood, which was really what she was more inclined to consider an issue than something that could be reasonably reliably fixed. It was that sort of veterancy-

Žaneta was jarred out of her thoughts by an elbow nudging at her - turning, she saw her second-in-command, looking up at her with an expression that... well, it told Žaneta that Christel had probably just read most of her train of thought completely, and it was a suspicion confirmed when Christel (who, thankfully, did take a moment to try to put her words together respectfully) spoke: "Commandeur, our contact is connecting now. Ah... this is only barely my role as Commandeur Spirituel, but... please, try to take them in with an open mind and a welcome? We... do represent our order both militarily and in a sense diplomatically, after all."

This drew a small groan, and a nod, before Žaneta focused in on the screen, straightening herself out. "Yes, of course, Christel. I apologize. Right, then. Let's get this done, and we can get going for this next mission."

With a nod, Christel hit the button to accept the incoming communication. With that, their contact appeared on the screen - a dark-skinned man in an olive-green military uniform. He provided something of an immediate contrast to Cano - whereas Cano had wild hair and cultivated a roguish look, this soldier had a uniform that was immaculate (and... bedecked with golden trim, even), with neat, close-cropped hair. The contact began talking, in a booming voice, "I, am Major Chidike Ihejireka. It is a pleasure to meet you, fine mercenary fellows - today you have the honor of participating in the return to prominence of the very greatest state to grace the lands of the planet Nchoputa - that for which this planet was named!" One of Žaneta's eyebrows began to quirk downwards into a flat line, by way of involuntary twitch. But he kept speaking, "I speak of course... of the Kingdom of Nchoputa! The light of technology and science originating on this world, before the arrival of the Crown, it was us who dominated, our name on the lips of all - but we were not, as the Crown, conquerors of all, but instead content to simply be the brightest star of the planet, with our sphere of influence simply stretching across the globe. And now it is once more our time to rise to this benevolent, advanced position." And he kept speaking, his eyes at this point closed as he went on his spiel "For you see, the Crown has now retreated to its own lands to fight its own grand war, meaning that the time has come for the great nations of this fair planet to seize their rightful place! And of course the Kingdom of Nchoputa is there to answer the call, although there are many not so great as us who also wish to seize by force that which is not truly their place-"

At this point, Major Ihejireka opened an eye, and seeing that Žaneta was visibly twitching further as her patience wore threadbare, proceeded to break into uproarious laughter. Žaneta bristled, her entire form stiffening up into angles (why did it have to be another asshole?), Christel recoiled with a decidedly scandalized expression, none too pleased with somebody willing to bust out a speech like that entirely insincerely, and Major Ihejireka laughed and laughed and laughed until Žaneta finally cut him off with a dangerously sharp tone. "Please. I can only assume that you did not advertise for something on the expense level of a Titan mercenary Order simply to waste its time, so I am going to have to ask that you collect yourself, and actually conduct business."

Thankfully, after raising a hand as his laughter trailed off into chuckles, Major Ihejireka did comply. "Ah, aha- sorry- sorry- I do apologize, I do apologize, I know this is unprofessional, I know this is unprofessional. Ah, but please do understand where I am coming from here: the royalty is insisting we introduce ourselves "in a way befitting the prestige of the Kingdom", and I am only slightly exaggerating what they mean. I am as much of a patriot as anyone, but it is difficult not to have at least some fun with it when the attitude is as premature as it currently is. But I do apologize for having that fun at your expense, since you did come here to perform a mission for me. Right."

Major Ihejireka cleared his throat and continued. "When I say the attitude from the royalty is a little premature, what I mean is that the situation up here in the North is extremely messy, which is where plenty of work comes for people like you - even entirely separate from the silliness up with the aliens near the pole. The Empire of the Fifhurst Crown has almost entirely pulled out up north, probably since they figured that what little they left of our governments up here would keep things nice and in order for them. Well... to give you a piece of information to make up for my earlier rudeness, they probably aren't coming back here any time soon, and everyone knows it, since the Crown's been struggling to keep the planet administrated in recent years, so the entire North is going up in a huge landgrab. All of the big countries on this planet that meant anything before the Crown showed up in the first place were up here, and we all want to get back what was ours and maybe a bit more. Problem is that they of course never let us rebuild ourselves while they were around, so everyone is running around trying to put together what they can. We're mostly managing to occupy garrisons here and there, but it's mostly a piecemeal effort. Therefore, if we can get a proper Titan attack from mercenaries like you, it will bring something to bear that almost nobody else will have actually in position yet, and we'll have a head start."

Having been given some space to collect herself in turn by the change in her contact's demeanor and his decision to actually provide her with some information (even if it was more explanation of their strategic position than the tactical information she actually needed), Žaneta took in a breath, nodded, and spoke with less venom in her voice. "That situation is understood. As you can imagine, I'm going to want to know about the terrain and base I'm attacking, the turret and vehicles mentioned in the information that came with the mercenary advertisement, and... perhaps a bit about the behavior I can expect from our foes, if you can provide it."

Major Ihejireka inclined his head slightly and responded without much hesitation. "Naturally. So, you're going to be facing the "Diildeshgüi Society". They're essentially a bunch of subordinate officers to the Crown who think they're the successors to a pre-Crown nation. Unlike the Kingdom of Nchoputa, the Crown didn't keep much of the Diildeshgüi Republic around, since they weren't terribly civilized, just a bunch of hopped up central raiders who went up northwards a while until they took a lot of land and then settled down, but of course they do think otherwise. They've taken over a fort in the southern reaches of the forests up here which was actually originally one of our forts meant to let us project vehicles outwards into savannah terrain - but if they keep it, it means that they get a fortified spot to project power from their core in the savannah into ours in the forests I mentioned, even if it's not as efficient as the other way around. This means that in terms of terrain, you have the base itself, several roads heading southwards, and forest in all other directions outwards. That forest is pretty thin, though, so their vehicles are still going to be able to drive around, though obviously not as quickly as on the roads. You'll be coming on from the north."

"As for what you'll be facing, the base has a big turret on it that I have to imagine is going to be the big issue. The Crown took over the base when they took over, and the turret is Crown issue, so it's pretty good - the weapon on there is one of their Crown Ruby lasers. They really pride themselves on those things - they're reliable, they don't tend to miss what they're aimed at, and their armor penetration is fantastic. Since this base wasn't very important for the Crown, though, it's just a single Medium laser. The turret's also got a fair amount of armor, and though they're not going to be able to get any meaningful repairs done on it, the Diildeshgüi are probably desperate enough to send a crew up for some battlefield maintenance. The vehicles aren't as much of an issue. They're "armored" cars with what I'd say count as a Medium railgun each, but they're Diildeshgüi guns, not Crown guns, so they're not as good, and though the cars are fast they have near no armor for what counts for a Titan. The guns can still hurt if you do get tagged by them, but they're pretty slow, so I'd wager that they're going to try to use hit-and-run tactics on you."

Spoiler: Titans (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Parts and Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Blueprints (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Owned Scrap (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pilots (click to show/hide)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 07, 2021, 02:55:19 pm »

Blueprint: Aura Sensor

A special spirit who was a great monk in life. Parts designed to sense the aura of all living things, as well as the mechanical parts to take that information and create a radar of everything around. It's most specialized in the location of titan pilots and their titans, as even the mechanical gives off energy our machine spirits can detect. This part gives it's pilot a system that can bypass all forms of stealth and sneak attack, as well as the detailed data of where titans are.

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 07, 2021, 03:20:10 pm »

Jury Rig: Écrasant Spotter System

With the awareness that the next mission would likely include a number of small hit and run ambushes by enemy cars, Rademaker has begun experimenting with the scrap to create a crude sensing system. With remnants of an aura detecting ritual, and a number of simple electronic sensors, this inconspicuous box mounts onto a mech, and provides the pilot  with a warning regarding large high speed approaching objects. It took a bit of programming to account for the mech's own movement, but the sensor system is now capable of collating audio, visual, and aura detection information into a quick warning for pilots, before they might even be aware of an incoming threat. It's strength lies in it's ability to combine a variety of disparate sensing systems into a probability that a signal corresponds to an incoming threat.

The system is NOT capable of bypassing cloaking mechanisms, due to using only the incomplete remnants of an aura cloaking system. Instead, its only role, which it performs admirably, is to rapidly and reliably augment the pilot's awareness of incoming high speed vehicles at significant range

Components: Magic Scrap with Aura Detection Components

Jury Rig: Arque-buster

An attempt at a  deployable, self powered mine. The system unfortunately, took some time to warm up, a flaw that it was realized, could not be fixed prior to the upcoming battle. However, it was quickly realized that this system might cause respectable structural damage to slow heavily armored vehicles. . . or even a stationary fortress.

The system consists of a high powered battery, and the decrepit fireball weapon. While the stabilizers that allowed the fireballs to maintain their form over flight were fried, the heating element could still project a concentrated heat nearby, temperatures high enough to melt most materials, albeit somewhat slowly. This is achieved by modifying the system to take the extremely high energy of the battery we found.

As a result, we have a fast deployable, but slow operating breaching mechanism, which can be deployed against both fortresses as well as sufficiently slow moving but heavily armored vehicles.

Components:Mech Scrap with High-Power Battery
Destroyed Fireball Weapon

Revision: Arquetwosier Right Leg:
While still somewhat slower than the upgraded left leg, we have made some minor modifications of the internal capacitors, and a change in the load bearing systems. These will result in a slight increase in speed and agility when the leg is given some time to charge up. That is, in the lulls between engagements, we may be able to charge up for some slightly faster movement when we really need it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 03:20:56 pm by Strider03 »
Within that world, she was God. But here, outside of it, her name was Yoake o-Shiri. That was unimportant. She was a Godslayer. That too was unimportant. But what was important, was that she had a motherfucking boat.

"But deceleration is for pansies. We're headed for the stars. Bye, Burnsie. Bye, Mission Control. Bye, Sol. See you at heat death" -Blindsight

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2021, 03:24:08 pm »

Double post for Votebox

Quote from: Votebox
Designs:
Aura Sensor (Blueprint):
Ecrasant Spotter System (Jury Rig): (1) Strider
Arque-buster (Jury Rig): (1) Strider

Revisions:
Arquetwosier-Capacitor: (1) Strider

EDIT: Kept this same for posterity, but asked Madman to change my revision vote to his thing
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 06:52:27 pm by Strider03 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2021, 03:35:20 pm »

Why revision phase? And I would rather have something that will bypass stealth than something that uses up the part without it's full capability being brought to bear. Beyond which, apparently this mission involves a single target. So we don't need detection right away. And we want blueprints at some point for a new titan.

Designs:
Aura Sensor (Blueprint): TricMagic
Arque-buster (Jury Rig): (1) Strider, TricMagic

Revisions:

Quote from: discord@me
If there is something an Aura Sensor blueprint is good for, it's the resulting part likely doing something to offset the Panicky trait into a good thing. Rather than adding a threat-detection system that does the work they already do, theoretically. Not detecting stealth is panic-inducing itself if they have to fight something like that..
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 03:43:37 pm by TricMagic »

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2021, 09:06:40 am »

Mission involves both the fortress, and a bunch of vehicles in the woods with guns doing hit and run.

Design phase always includes two designs and a revision, it's listed in the Core Thread.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2021, 09:28:29 am »

Are vehicles supposed to be dangerous for a titan?

Magimechanical Small Laser> Magimechanical Wind Tunneller(Jury Rig)

A proposal to use the rapid rotary parts to alter this weapon to a new type. The energy capacitors are repurposed, and with the rotary acting as the intake and output, creates a gale force generator. The laser part is repurposed acting as a containment field for the wind tunnel, which can be aimed to blow away and tumble light weapons. Perfect for dealing with vehicles, infantry, and artillery. Short range for a titan is quite long for foes that aren't titans. Take note that this weapon is nearly useless against 'most' titans. The gale force winds are something anything small can't deal with, but titans have the weight and mass where is won't do anything to most of them. Unless we ended up facing a magical titan made out of storm clouds or something equally esoteric..

Designs:
Aura Sensor (Blueprint): (1) TricMagic
Arque-buster (Jury Rig): (2) Strider, TricMagic
Wind Tunnel: ()

Revisions:

One wind tunnel for removing pesky aircraft, tanks, and humans. Lots and lots of humans. And maybe forest clearing given gale-force winds, which means shrapnel.

Humans aren't much of a threat. With the mine and a weapon specially crafted to deal with light foes, that fortress won't last long. We could just aim it inside said fortress and send the winds through the entire thing if it's an open set up. If not, blasting a hole in it means we can then blow the wind in anyway. And any crews for arty are also good targets. And if said arty isn't bolted down, well... Blow all your problems away.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 09:37:30 am by TricMagic »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2021, 06:47:02 pm »

Jury-Rig: Arquebusier Shield Conjuration System
We have some conjuration scrap, we've got a high-power battery in some scrap, and we've got a Titan that is unfortunately vulnerable to getting shot a lot. So in order to fix this we're going to jury-rig together a new defensive system. Using the conjuration scrap and our plentiful magical knowledge we're going to create a system that summons a physical barrier tall enough to cover a mech that is crouching (as much as it can, actually are these the sorts of mechs that can actually crouch or not?) with a small notch in the top, wherein someone could conceivably fire a Dragonnade railgun (fine, or any other carryable equipment) while exposing only a small amount of their own mech. The barrier is powered using the high-powered battery, draining it in one discharge to form the barrier and give it its resistance to incoming fire. It lasts for a short time or until it is damaged enough to exhaust the energy it is initially imbued with. The battery is (perhaps slowly) recharged by the mech's own power source.

Don't mind the ominous hum from the battery or the ominous glow from the rune-covered pieces of twisted metal that make up this delightful conjuration system. If you hear any ominous whispers, however, please see the Commandeur Spirituel, you're probably slightly haunted by the particular angry ghost we've summoned to control this system.

Uses: Mech Scrap with High-Power Battery
Magical Scrap with Conjuration Ritual Components

Blueprint: Glaive Light Titan Arm
A theoretical counterpoint to the Arquebusier's lightweight frame, the Glaive is intended to be rather heavily armored for a Light Titan, and its arms are quite well protected. They're slower to move and heavier than an Arquebusier's arms, but they are also better stabilized for firing their integrated weapons or carryable weapons and less likely to suffer serious damage. The really interesting improvement, however, is the better integration of magic into the defensive system. These arms' armor is imbued with a very much abnormal ability to repair itself, albeit not all that quickly. This magical effect causes damaged armor to flow back together so that damage does not stack up as armor is lost; instead each incoming shot must go through the same amount of armor as the initial one...until the cumulative effects wear out the mech's energy, the enchantment's stored power, or simply ablate enough metal that it doesn't matter that the enchantment is still trying to make it flow back together.

These arms are configured identically to the Arquebusier's arms and fit the Arquebusier torso, and also have one integrated hardpoint and the ability to utilize carryable equipment like the Dragonnade.

Revision: Dragonnade Railgun (Blueprint)
The Dragonnade's combination of excellent range and poor velocity pose many problems for use in field conditions. For future iterations of the weapon, then, we've worked out a substantial improvement to the weapon's capabilities; namely, more ghosts. Specifically, we've worked to incorporate a limited guidance capability into each projectile, binding a fragment of the weapon's primary spirit's power to each spike for a time, his crazed fury righteous anger helping to steer the projectiles into their target. This target is acquired before launch and is driven by the (debatably) intelligent spirit, so that it can acquire targets a computer target system might need to be highly advanced to acquire. This connection is dissipated when the other enchantment on the projectiles (the phantom cannon fire thing) runs out. This prevents the spirit from being endlessly torn into smaller and smaller pieces as bits of their essence are launched downrange. That the experience tends to encourage insanity and endless rage has been suggested by some of the mages and engineers involved in the project, but we've got no way to test that since anybody crazy enough to try that with Rozhestvensky is much more likely to get fired out of the railgun than to get an intelligible answer to the question.

Designs:
Jury-Rig: Arquebusier Shield Conjuration System: (1) Madman
Blueprint: Glaive Light Titan Arm: (1) Madman

Revisions:
Arquetwosier-Capacitor: (0)
Revision: Dragonnade Railgun (Blueprint): (2) Madman, Strider
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 10:45:17 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 10, 2021, 09:53:37 pm »

Quote from: boxvote
Designs:
Ecrasant Spotter System (Jury Rig): (2) Strider, Twinwolf
Jury-Rig: Arquebusier Shield Conjuration System: (2) Madman, Twinwolf

Revisions:
Revision: Dragonnade Railgun (Blueprint): (3) Madman, Strider, Twinwolf
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

cronos5010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 10, 2021, 10:28:48 pm »

Designs:
Ecrasant Spotter System (Jury Rig): (2) Strider, Twinwolf, Hachi/Cronos5010
Jury-Rig: Arquebusier Shield Conjuration System: (2) Madman, Twinwolf, Hachi/Cronos5010

Revisions:
Revision: Dragonnade Railgun (Blueprint): (3) Madman, Strider, Twinwolf, Hachi/Cronos5010
"I guess I gotta get all funky if I'm gonna make this work."-Stretch Armstrong

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 10, 2021, 10:40:58 pm »

Designs:
Ecrasant Spotter System (Jury Rig): (4) Strider, Twinwolf, Hachi/Cronos5010, Emp
Jury-Rig: Arquebusier Shield Conjuration System: (4) Madman, Twinwolf, Hachi/Cronos5010, Emp

Revisions:
Revision: Dragonnade Railgun (Blueprint): (5) Madman, Strider, Twinwolf, Hachi/Cronos5010, Emp
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Ramshackle Titans - Knights Reliquar Thread - M2 Deployment
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2021, 01:31:41 pm »

Month Two -- Design Phase/Deployment Phase

Quote from: Jury-Rig: Écrasant Spotter System
With the awareness that the next mission would likely include a number of small hit and run ambushes by enemy cars, Rademaker has begun experimenting with the scrap to create a crude sensing system. With remnants of an aura detecting ritual, and a number of simple electronic sensors, this inconspicuous box mounts onto a mech, and provides the pilot  with a warning regarding large high speed approaching objects. It took a bit of programming to account for the mech's own movement, but the sensor system is now capable of collating audio, visual, and aura detection information into a quick warning for pilots, before they might even be aware of an incoming threat. It's strength lies in it's ability to combine a variety of disparate sensing systems into a probability that a signal corresponds to an incoming threat.

The system is NOT capable of bypassing cloaking mechanisms, due to using only the incomplete remnants of an aura cloaking system. Instead, its only role, which it performs admirably, is to rapidly and reliably augment the pilot's awareness of incoming high speed vehicles at significant range

Components: Magic Scrap with Aura Detection Components
Difficulty: Easy
Roll: (2+5)+1=8, Average.

Whether or not, this was intentional, the "Écrasant" Spotter System served as an excellent learning exercise for Moos Rademaker, helping the young engineer get his bearings in dealing with the Knights' (and thus his) first foray into a component completely devoid of any serious mechanical technology (given that a welded box doesn't really count). The design process was quite the busy one for Moos himself, seeing him run around and around between Christel and Diesel to get tips on how to properly align ritual components for the maximum efficiency, instructions on how to ensure health of spiritual components, and discussion and negotiations of what additional minor magical components would even be viable to add. (Moos was smart enough not to use the wording "minor magical components" in regards to spirits added to the design in front of Diesel, even if it might have applied.)

One reason that the process went very cleanly anyway is that the specs he received for the "Écrasant" Spotter System were not asking for a lot at all. At its base, the "Écrasant" is essentially just shoving a suite of reasonably intact aura detection components and derived minor magical sensors (given the status of the Jury-Rig, lacking any Mech scrap, as a purely Magic design) into a box that Moos slapped together with a welder, making sure that these components had a favorable sort of internal arrangement going on that wouldn't induce any inefficiencies in their input or output, making sure that they were connected and properly coordinating their data, and then taking that data and putting together a quick little output to the cockpit.

The last bit is where you hit what might be referred to as a bit of a snag - not a bug, but instead a result of the scope of the project. Moos was asked to put together a system that would "rapidly and reliably augment the pilot's awareness of incoming high speed vehicles at significant range", and given that this is a very limited request in all reality, after some discussion with Diesel, Moos elected to place a spiritual fragment on the box as the courier of the information to the cockpit. "Spiritual fragments" are essentially scrap spirits, pieces of spirits that aren't full-fledged ghosts or creatures in the same way, and perform simple instructions consistently and quickly, without any of the difficulties that full spirits often have in working with them. That said, they're not really capable of processing a whole lot, and the limited throughput of this spiritual fragment does mean that even though the sensors within the Écrasant receive and hold a great deal more information than the specs actually call for, what the pilot of the Titan actually receives is an audiovisual directional indicator in the cockpit that indicates clearly incoming (something that the sensor actually tells through intent rather than strict direction) moving vehicles or enemy Titans, how far away they are, and how how fast they're coming.

There aren't any bugs or delays in this function, which does what it's supposed to do pretty consistently and exactly, but as a dedicated sensor component using dedicated sensor scrap, the actual sensor components are actually very thorough, especially as designed to combine aura, audio, and visual data and collate it well. According to Moos, however, this specification limitation is at least what kept the project as easy as it was. A more advanced set of data to the cockpit would have taken a little more dedicated magical work, and just pushed the project over into being on the whole not much easier than the typical project.

"Écrasant" Spotter System: (Magic)
This Small Mounted Component is a dedicated sensor component that functions through a strong suite of magical sensors, strongest in aura detection capabilities but with some standard audiovisual detection capabilities as well. Although the sensors themselves are actually quite powerful given their dedicated Component status and do consistently track the location of the enemy Titans and vehicles in the engagement, the information that the pilot actually receives is the direction, speed, and distance of all hostile (or ludicrously dangerously quickly incoming and "friendly") Titans and vehicles in the engagement, although it doesn't identify which is which.

Quote from: Jury-Rig: Arquebusier Shield Conjuration System
We have some conjuration scrap, we've got a high-power battery in some scrap, and we've got a Titan that is unfortunately vulnerable to getting shot a lot. So in order to fix this we're going to jury-rig together a new defensive system. Using the conjuration scrap and our plentiful magical knowledge we're going to create a system that summons a physical barrier tall enough to cover a mech that is crouching (as much as it can, actually are these the sorts of mechs that can actually crouch or not?) with a small notch in the top, wherein someone could conceivably fire a Dragonnade railgun (fine, or any other carryable equipment) while exposing only a small amount of their own mech. The barrier is powered using the high-powered battery, draining it in one discharge to form the barrier and give it its resistance to incoming fire. It lasts for a short time or until it is damaged enough to exhaust the energy it is initially imbued with. The battery is (perhaps slowly) recharged by the mech's own power source.

Don't mind the ominous hum from the battery or the ominous glow from the rune-covered pieces of twisted metal that make up this delightful conjuration system. If you hear any ominous whispers, however, please see the Commandeur Spirituel, you're probably slightly haunted by the particular angry ghost we've summoned to control this system.

Uses: Mech Scrap with High-Power Battery
Magical Scrap with Conjuration Ritual Components

Difficulty: Normal
Roll: 1+5=6, Average.

The Arquebusier Shield Conjuration System project (ASCS project for short) is a project that represents the sort of thing that happens when you keep a project clear in scope and don't skimp on applying useful Scrap to the features that you request. A major upgrade to the most important part of the Titan, the Torso, is a significant project on its own, before you get around to considering the individual features - not enough to make any major Torso Upgrade automatically particularly difficult to perform, but enough to ensure that even moderately busy upgrades will jump that ledge. The work on a summoned shield and on the ability to recharge it repeatedly during battle could have together been just enough for that, but as each of these was assisted by the presence of an extremely relevant piece of Scrap, the project remained pretty much a standard one.

In terms of the shield production, Moos took the Conjuration Ritual Components we had, reshaped them into a less screwed-up scrappy shape, and inset them into the torso of the Arquebusier, before bringing in a spirit to provide the initial power for the conjuration ritual, as well as further aspects of the spell which would shape it into the shield form. Christel, Žaneta, Moos, and some assistant staff came together and ultimately summoned a local spirit to power the spell: The Unknown Soldier. The Unknown Soldier is a spirit of a soldier who died long ago in a war in northern Chopta, and who became synonymous with the plight and the dedication of the common soldier, his name and his nationality forgotten. Don't worry, though, he's actually absolutely apeshit angry that his mythos has progressed to the point where even he doesn't remember who the fuck he is at this point, it's not like his body was ACTUALLY unidentifiable, it was just sort of a thing that everybody decided - we made sure to find a sufficiently enraged spirit! He's not much of a talker, and when he does talk you usually can't hear him over Rozhestvensky anyway.

In terms of the actual shield itself, it is summoned quickly (especially thanks to the Conjuration Scrap) and stands at about chest-high for the Arquebusier, allowing the Arquebusier to stand and fire over it or crouch (which it can do so long as its more fragile leg isn't damaged too badly) and maintain complete cover. The shield can absorb pretty much an entire volley's worth of fire from the entire arsenal of a Light Titan (or a couple of seconds of laser fire) without quite breaking, which essentially means that it takes several Medium and Light weapons or the full fire of two Heavy Weapons to break a shield from the ASCS. The shield from the weapon does only last a few seconds itself, however, and combining that with the speed of its summoning means that it's MUCH more useful as brief cover while firing or as a reactive measure when fired upon than some sort of permanent emplacement. The shield does recharge thanks to a High-Power Battery hooked up through a magical power converter to our spirit (who it may cause occasional delusions of power in) but doesn't recharge fast enough to be expected to be used more than once in a typical exchange of fire, even brief slugouts - only rather extended ones. With that said, due to the capacity of the battery, you can expect to probably get about four uses of the shield out of the system. The system is not capable of absorbing active shields to replenish battery.

Diesel did afterwards ask us why we actively went out of our way to summon an asshole spirit for this. We, of course told him, that, uh- We, uh- well- you see- er- uh- it's- it's- it's just what you do.

Arquebusier SCS Torso: (Mech/Magic)
The Arquebusier SCS (Shield Conjuration System) Torso is the reworked core of the Arquebusier Titan. Retaining the direct structural strength of the original torso (thanks to the blessed keystone in the otherwise mechanical frame), the ASCS Torso also possesses a shield summoning system to improve the survivability of the overall Titan. This shield summoning system can quickly summon a free-standing, Arquebusier-chest-high shield which is capable of absorbing the fire of multiple Medium and Light weapons or two Heavy Weapons before breaking, but which only lasts a few seconds naturally. This takes long enough to recharge that anything but extended slugouts won't see multiple uses of it, but it can be used four times in an engagement. It possesses a Medium Mount, connections for a Head, Left Arm, Right Arm, Left Leg, and Right Leg, and a Carryable Equipment hardpoint.

Quote from: Revision: Dragonnade Railgun Blueprint
The Dragonnade's combination of excellent range and poor velocity pose many problems for use in field conditions. For future iterations of the weapon, then, we've worked out a substantial improvement to the weapon's capabilities; namely, more ghosts. Specifically, we've worked to incorporate a limited guidance capability into each projectile, binding a fragment of the weapon's primary spirit's power to each spike for a time, his crazed fury righteous anger helping to steer the projectiles into their target. This target is acquired before launch and is driven by the (debatably) intelligent spirit, so that it can acquire targets a computer target system might need to be highly advanced to acquire. This connection is dissipated when the other enchantment on the projectiles (the phantom cannon fire thing) runs out. This prevents the spirit from being endlessly torn into smaller and smaller pieces as bits of their essence are launched downrange. That the experience tends to encourage insanity and endless rage has been suggested by some of the mages and engineers involved in the project, but we've got no way to test that since anybody crazy enough to try that with Rozhestvensky is much more likely to get fired out of the railgun than to get an intelligible answer to the question.
Difficulty: Easy
Roll: (2+5)+1=8, A v e r a g e.

This month's work SURE EVER DID produce a streak of engineering and magic work that avoided any particularly pressing challenge due to careful management of project scope, and then delivered pretty much exactly what was asked for, and this project SURE WAS NOT AN EXCEPTION. Changing the Dragonnade to a guided weapon is a major change on its own, the sort of thing that might be extremely difficult to do directly but would be a standard sort of project on a blueprint - but as a limited-guidance weapon where that guidance essentially just increases the accuracy on the weapon, it wasn't tough at all for Moos et al to work out some blueprint changes.

The end result is Rozhestvensky-driven guidance that starts from a connection bonded between the weapon and the target and operates as the bullet flies. The guidance system needs a minimum amount of time to set up that initial connection between Rozhestvensky and the target which slightly exceeds the time needed to manually aim the weapon, and the guidance is absolutely not so extreme as to allow for firing the bullet willy-nilly and expecting it to end up on target. The end result is that it's the upgraded Dragonnade still needs to be operated like the rifle it is, and in fact sees a small increase in the target acquisition time of the weapon, but has de facto a drastically improved accuracy at range and against fast-moving targets, as Rozhestvensky does his damnedest (which is rather damned indeed) to "intelligently" move the projectile midflight towards his target.

"Dragonnade" Railgun: (Mech/Magic)
A slightly light Carryable Weapon, the Dragonnade is long-range and fires accurately. The projectiles do technically have low velocity - the limited guidance in the weapon prevents any accuracy debuff from this, though it does slightly slow down snapshots. Does moderate damage with its initial hit, and then does damage-over-time as if the target were being shelled by small and medium cannon weaponry. Initial strike pierces armor well, but both initial and prolonged damage do poorly against larger mechs, doing less damage and more localized damage respectively. Breaking more than half of the spike off ends the effect. Comes with angry Slavic ghost, upgraded from "priceless" to free because probably nobody will ever take him.

To manufacture 1 Dragonnade Railgun requires: Railgun OR Destroyed Railgun Scrap Or Mech Scrap w/ Advanced Magnetic Tech, 3 pieces of Magic Scrap.

Quote from: Deployment Formatting
Repair Actions (list used Scrap):

Pilot:
Tactics: One to two sentences.

Titan: Arquebusier-class Light Titan (you can still give it a name, if you want)
Titan Parts: Arquebusier SCS Torso (Damaged - Weapon Mounting Destroyed - takes 1 Mech Scrap and 1 Magic Scrap to fix)
-Mounted Equipment: Medium: Destroyed Mount
Arquebusier Native Head
Arquebusier Native Left Arm
-Mounted Equipment: Magimechanical Small Laser
Arquebusier Native Right Arm
"Arcanebusier" Left Leg (Damaged - Fragile - takes 1 Magic Scrap to fix)
"Arquetwosier" Right Leg
Carried: Dragonnade Railgun
Spoiler: Titans (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Parts and Equipment (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Blueprints (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Owned Scrap (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pilots (click to show/hide)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2021, 10:32:25 am »

Quote from: Plan 'Insert Funny Joke Here'
Repair Actions (list used Scrap): Arcanebusier Left Leg - Destroyed Fireball Weapon

Pilot: Frère-Chevalier Jalen Elliott
Tactics: Once again, maintain range from targets, prioritizing the turret. It's stationary so even with the Dragonnade's low velocity it ought to be possible to get rid of the thing from our longest possible range, then move on to the vehicles. If they're using hit-and-run tactics, use the new shield when they come in for the hit, then chase them down as they flee, using the Dragonnade and small lasers to destroy the underprotected vehicles. Remain in the forest or other bad terrain where possible to decrease the vehicles' speed and make use of the mech's advantages in rough terrain.

Titan: Arquebusier-class Light Titan (you can still give it a name, if you want)
Titan Parts: Arquebusier SCS Torso (Damaged - Weapon Mounting Destroyed - takes 1 Mech Scrap and 1 Magic Scrap to fix)
-Mounted Equipment: Medium: Destroyed Mount
Arquebusier Native Head
Arquebusier Native Left Arm
Arquebusier Native Right Arm
"Arcanebusier" Left Leg (Damaged - Fragile - takes 1 Magic Scrap to fix)
"Arquetwosier" Right Leg
Carried: Dragonnade Railgun

Plan 'Insert Funny Joke Here': (1) Madman
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 05:05:12 pm by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Strider03

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2021, 05:07:43 pm »

Plan 'Insert Funny Joke Here': (2) Madman, Strider03
Seems like solid choices to me

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10